Review of "Evolving"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Review of "Evolving"
Hey all,

I have just finished reading Daniel Fairbanks new book Evolving: The Human Effect and Why It Matters and I must say it is THE BEST book I have read on the Theory of Evolution and biology in general.

Daniel divides the book into two sections. In part one, he discusses what evolution is (chapter 1) and the evidence for evolution from our bodies, the earth, and the genome. Daniel spends a lot of time discussing the evidence for evolution and discussing why "nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution." I found the evidence fascinating and was hooked from the very first paragraph.

In the second part, he discusses why it matters and why we need to understand evolution for our health, environment, and our food. It was fascinating. There was so much that I learned from the book and I encourage everyone to go out and read it if you even remotely care about evolution or why it is important.

In conclusion:
Quote: Yes we evolved, yes we are evolving, along with the rest of life; and it matters now more than ever. (Daniel's closing remarks).
The book inspired me to major in biology (which I plan on doing next year) and I am currently writing a thesis called "Why Evolution Matters" which I will give to my Sunday School teacher and ultra conservative friends to read so they can gain the knowledge that I have from the book.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like davidneff's post
16-07-2012, 02:40 PM
RE: Review of "Evolving"
(16-07-2012 02:21 PM)davidneff Wrote:  Hey all,

I have just finished reading Daniel Fairbanks new book Evolving: The Human Effect and Why It Matters and I must say it is THE BEST book I have read on the Theory of Evolution and biology in general.

Daniel divides the book into two sections. In part one, he discusses what evolution is (chapter 1) and the evidence for evolution from our bodies, the earth, and the genome. Daniel spends a lot of time discussing the evidence for evolution and discussing why "nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution." I found the evidence fascinating and was hooked from the very first paragraph.

In the second part, he discusses why it matters and why we need to understand evolution for our health, environment, and our food. It was fascinating. There was so much that I learned from the book and I encourage everyone to go out and read it if you even remotely care about evolution or why it is important.

In conclusion:
Quote: Yes we evolved, yes we are evolving, along with the rest of life; and it matters now more than ever. (Daniel's closing remarks).
The book inspired me to major in biology (which I plan on doing next year) and I am currently writing a thesis called "Why Evolution Matters" which I will give to my Sunday School teacher and ultra conservative friends to read so they can gain the knowledge that I have from the book.
Thanks - ordering from Amazon...3...2...1...

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
16-07-2012, 02:46 PM
(16-07-2012 02:21 PM)davidneff Wrote:  The book inspired me to major in biology (which I plan on doing next year) and I am currently writing a thesis called "Why Evolution Matters" which I will give to my Sunday School teacher and ultra conservative friends to read so they can gain the knowledge that I have from the book.
... You're gonna merrily hand your ultra conservative friends a treatise on why evolution is a great idea Big Grin I LOVE IT! They might ask you to hold their bombs while they read it though Tongue

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
16-07-2012, 02:46 PM
(16-07-2012 02:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-07-2012 02:21 PM)davidneff Wrote:  Hey all,

In conclusion:
Thanks - ordering from Amazon...3...2...1...
Let me know what you think of the book.
16-07-2012, 02:47 PM
(16-07-2012 02:46 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(16-07-2012 02:21 PM)davidneff Wrote:  The book inspired me to major in biology (which I plan on doing next year) and I am currently writing a thesis called "Why Evolution Matters" which I will give to my Sunday School teacher and ultra conservative friends to read so they can gain the knowledge that I have from the book.
... You're gonna merrily hand your ultra conservative friends a treatise on why evolution is a great idea Big Grin I LOVE IT! They might ask you to hold their bombs while they read it though Tongue

LOL! Thank you for the belly laugh!
[+] 1 user Likes davidneff's post