Reviving extinct animals ala Jurassic Park question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2015, 07:59 PM
RE: Reviving extinct animals ala Jurassic Park question
Make one of these.

[Image: CrocoDuck.jpg]

Blow what little mind Comfort has left.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
11-06-2015, 08:01 PM
Short answer - 'cause we ain't got 65 million years.

Longer answer - http://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask371

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
12-06-2015, 06:43 AM
Thanks, guys.

FT, thanks for the laymen. Thumbsup

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
12-06-2015, 11:27 AM
(11-06-2015 07:58 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I'mma throw the disclaimer that I'm not remotely qualified on this topic... Ethology doesn't exactly have much to do with genetic manipulation.

(11-06-2015 01:57 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Okay, I'll admit that my scientific knowledge isn't great... but I'm more apt to understand science than a lot of my peers... so here's the thing:

When our genes evolve they don't throw away or trash the stuff that's no longer in use, correct? I mean, birds should have the "tooth" gene or "OMGYUSOBIG" gene in their pool somewhere, right?

Yes, but somewhat.

Inactive genes are not 'trashed' when they no longer function, they just sit there until a mutation occurs which may reactive them, for instance, birds do have the genes for teeth, commonly seen in 'throwback' chickens with a mutation which reactivated the gene, similarly, humans still have the genes for our tails.
But genes for size aren't necessarily a single gene.

(11-06-2015 01:57 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  If that's the case, how come we can't just artificially redirect those genes and re-engineer a living, breathing deinonychus... or a mammoth from elephants... or a amphicoelias from a... from a... wait a sec... oh. oh. Never mind about the sauropods.

Still. Question stands. How come?

We can artificially activate and deactive genes at our leisure, it a fairly common practice in genetic manipulation research. The problems with essentially reverse engineering a species from a living ancestor is that we need to know which genes did what, and for an entire genome, that will take decades of research which may never get passed ethics boards.
The other problem with the genetic side is that , in most species anyway, the non-coding DNA (such as meaningless and left-over genes to which you refer KC) make up most of the genetic make up of the species, and thus are far more likely to fall victim to the constant random mutations which our DNA undergoes, so for the species and indeed even the individual which we use as our test-bed may have extensive damage to the genes important to the 'rebuild' species.

Non-genetically is that we'd need something sufficiently close to a dinosaur to be able to use it as the testbed to make one from. A chicken is probably not going to suffice as the egg with probably kill it (assuming we got everything else right).
Mammoths may be possible thanks to elephants, but it's a big risk for the elephant we'd have to use to birth the ReMammoth, again assuming we'd got it right.

Of course, if we had a complete example of the genome of the creature we want to replicate, that cuts half the problem: just use bacteria to make copies and insert the resultant duplicate into a zygote in the same way we'd do with the 'rebuilt genome' implied from the problems above.

This guy gave a TEDtalk on the subject. He's the guy who's doing the Dino-Chicken.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/20...ience.html

More importantly, will this mean that the "Chicken Dance" will become the "Dino-Chicken Dance?

Perhaps.....perhaps it will.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
12-06-2015, 04:42 PM
You will find your answer on Dino Train. Yes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.