Rhyming Lyrics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2015, 11:48 PM
Rhyming Lyrics
So I was listening to music last night and I began to think about the art of songwriting. For hours on end, lyricists wrack their brains trying to figure out the next line of a song; something that will accurately convey their thoughts in a way that rhymes with what came before it. And then I wondered: why do we bother doing this?

Granted, not all song lyrics rhyme. However, the vast majority of them do, and somehow, it just "works." Now, whenever someone sits down to pen the lyrics to a song, they tend to look for words that rhyme. When and why did we decide that lyrics needed to rhyme? What is the purpose/significance of this?

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2015, 12:26 PM
RE: Rhyming Lyrics
As a songwriter myself, I've never really struggled to find words that fit. If I get stuck, it's usually only for a minute or two.

It's that spooky thing where an idea just seems to spill out of your head, and you can't get it down fast enough.

It's always puzzled me though why we like song lyrics to rhyme. I suppose its a rhythmic thing.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
12-03-2015, 01:12 PM
I've written a few songs; none of the ones with lyrics will ever make it to YouTube... And that's probably a good thing, since one of my songs is nearing 200,000 views. My voice is decent, but I feel like a complete cock for the awful, embarassing lyrics. Too many rhymes seems juvenile somehow... I don't know what makes a good lyricist, but it's probably similar to a good poet.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
12-03-2015, 02:55 PM
I play the piano. For the uninitiated, piano keys are laid out in octaves from A-G and then the pattern repeats A-G for 88 keys. Every A is in perfect harmony with every other A, same with B, C, etc. When you play octaves (eg A with the very next A at the same time) these notes sound "right" because it's a perfect scale. There is music theory that better explains why certain notes sound "right" with others notes when they are in certain keys, etc.

I believe it's the same thing with lyrics. It is a melody and a harmony, and it just sounds "right" and the ear is searching for that sound to match the earlier sound we heard. It's just natural.

In poetry, it's the same thing, unless it's an eye rhyme, but even then the poet is looking to please the reader somehow by satisfying our needs for patterns by making the non-rhyming end words look similar.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
12-03-2015, 02:59 PM
I think these are actually very profound questions about consciousness and cognition, language and patterns. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
15-03-2015, 05:56 PM
(11-03-2015 11:48 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  So I was listening to music last night and I began to think about the art of songwriting. For hours on end, lyricists wrack their brains trying to figure out the next line of a song; something that will accurately convey their thoughts in a way that rhymes with what came before it. And then I wondered: why do we bother doing this?

Granted, not all song lyrics rhyme. However, the vast majority of them do, and somehow, it just "works." Now, whenever someone sits down to pen the lyrics to a song, they tend to look for words that rhyme. When and why did we decide that lyrics needed to rhyme? What is the purpose/significance of this?

Untitled – (Any small town anywhere) Non-rhyming meter

It’s Sunday once again
A day that I reserve
To greet the folks I know
While I sit in our town square

I take a cup of coffee
And read the local news
Familiar voices say hello
And we talk about things

There’s old Mrs Stevens
Leaning on her walker to talk
She tells her nurse Elizabeth