Richard Carrier On the Historicity of Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2015, 07:45 PM
RE: Richard Carrier On the Historicity of Jesus
(03-07-2015 07:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-07-2015 05:55 PM)Free Wrote:  To tell you the truth, the scholars- such as Bart Eahrman- will not speak publicly about what they really think about Richard Carrier. But I will tell you want I know from actually speaking with two scholars who echoed the opinions of other scholars.

That is known as hearsay evidence. Inadmissible.

Sure is, but I am disregarding your objection and admitting it anyway.

Quote:
Quote:They view Carrier as being a self important narcissist who, although accredited, views the historicity of Jesus with extreme bias. He uses his credentials to garner an internet following of mainly atheists who, like Carrier, have a bone to pick with Christianity.

Hearsay and ad hominem.

Yep, and a well directed ad hom it is, if I do say so myself.

Quote:
Quote:Why? Because his followers expect him to, and if he wants those followers to continue buying his books, he had better tow the line.

*toe the line

It's done both ways:

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/Tow+the+line

Quote:
Quote:Personally, I see the man as an accredited scam artist with a long list of suckers in tow.

The consensus will never swing his way. They see right through him. They are far more intelligent then he will ever be.

Your bias is apparent.

Must you state the obvious?

Tongue

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2015, 07:48 PM
(03-07-2015 07:27 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(03-07-2015 07:18 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You are clearly VERY VERY VERY jealous of him. He has FAR more than "an internet following", and you know it. All this has NOTHING to do with the issues of the arguments. He has many nuanced literary and historical arguments which you have never once even tried to begin to address or even begin to refute.

Why should we care about your pathetic game of old matron telephone: "Well I heard from ... bla bla bla" ? Sure you did. You can't even spell Ehrman's name correctly, not do you appear to know that the plural of "atheist", is "atheists".
I find it funny that the people who criticize Carrier, Ehrman, etc. always paint this image of it being ridiculous that since we can't conclusively prove the existence of Jesus we should assume he did exist. Yet, when we can't conclusively prove Odin, Marduk, Zeus, Brahma, etc. we should just toss them aside.

I find that funny too ... because that is not my position.

Tongue

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
03-07-2015, 07:50 PM
(03-07-2015 07:42 PM)Free Wrote:  
(03-07-2015 07:18 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You are clearly VERY VERY VERY jealous of him. He has FAR more than "an internet following", and you know it. All this has NOTHING to do with the issues of the arguments. He has many nuanced literary and historical arguments which you have never once even tried to begin to address or even begin to refute.

Why should we care about your pathetic game of old matron telephone: "Well I heard from ... bla bla bla" ? Sure you did. You can't even spell Ehrman's name correctly, not do you appear to know that the plural of "atheist", is "atheists".

Spelling errors and typos are the best you can muster?

Seriously?

Make yourself feel better. Go buy another of his books.

Smartass

So I was right then. Thumbsup

How many books have YOU published that I can go buy ?
Does Ehrman talk about any of the others that question the historicity of Jesus, specifically ? Laugh out load ... Laugh out load ... Laugh out load

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
03-07-2015, 07:51 PM
(03-07-2015 07:45 PM)Free Wrote:  
(03-07-2015 07:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  That is known as hearsay evidence. Inadmissible.

Sure is, but I am disregarding your objection and admitting it anyway.

It's not up to you. We dismiss it.

Quote:*toe the line
Quote:It's done both ways:

No, really, it isn't.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-07-2015, 07:59 PM
(03-07-2015 07:50 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(03-07-2015 07:42 PM)Free Wrote:  Spelling errors and typos are the best you can muster?

Seriously?

Make yourself feel better. Go buy another of his books.

Smartass

So I was right then. Thumbsup

Does Ehrman talk about any of the others that question the historicity of Jesus, specifically ? Laugh out load ... Laugh out load ... Laugh out load

But you'll never get it out of me, nor will you ever know who I really am. One person on this forum does know, but he/she won't say anything.

Smartass

03-07-2015, 08:02 PM
(03-07-2015 07:59 PM)Free Wrote:  1.

But you'll never get it out of me, nor will you ever know who I really am. One person on this forum does know, but he/she won't say anything.

Smartass

Jesus???

It's Kingschosen, right?

Tongue

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
03-07-2015, 08:07 PM
(03-07-2015 07:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-07-2015 07:45 PM)Free Wrote:  Sure is, but I am disregarding your objection and admitting it anyway.

It's not up to you. We dismiss it.

Then I disregard the "we" objection, and admit it anyways.

You see, I can do that!

Quote:
Quote:*toe the line
Quote:It's done both ways:

No, really, it isn't.

If that was true, then how can I do it both ways?

Tongue

03-07-2015, 08:08 PM
(03-07-2015 08:02 PM)Banjo Wrote:  

Smartass

Jesus???

It's Kingschosen, right?

Tongue

Blessed are the Banjo's, who shall inherit the kingdom of stringed instruments.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
03-07-2015, 08:14 PM
(03-07-2015 07:59 PM)Free Wrote:  
(03-07-2015 07:50 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So I was right then. Thumbsup

Smartass

Not to worry. No one wants to "get it out of you". Rolleyes .. Laugh out load
I heard from Mabel, who heard from Ethel, who heard from Myrtle that "Eahrman" won't talk publicly about you either. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
03-07-2015, 08:17 PM
(03-07-2015 08:14 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

Smartass

Not to worry. No one wants to "get it out of you". Rolleyes .. Laugh out load
I heard from Mabel, who heard from Ethel, who heard from Myrtle that "Eahrman" won't talk publicly about you either. Tongue

Gasp!

I'm shocked.

Smartass