Richard Carrier On the Historicity of Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2015, 09:15 AM
RE: Richard Carrier On the Historicity of Jesus
(22-10-2015 08:54 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(22-10-2015 08:54 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Well, according to you the copyright note, style and composition, wouldn't be evidence in support of Harry Potter being fictional. And as far I can decipher your reasoning, it appears you think that there can not be "evidence" that a character is fictional, only historical.

Though as to how anyone can reasonably conclude a character is fictional absent of evidence, is not something you ever clarified either.

You keep repeating the same garbage logic. Do you expect different results?

Red herring.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2015, 09:44 AM
(22-10-2015 09:15 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(22-10-2015 08:54 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You keep repeating the same garbage logic. Do you expect different results?

Red herring.

Laugh out load a red herring would be if I presented a different example/argument to distract from your argument. I'm pointing out that I've rebutted your garbage logic and examples multiple times already.

Educate yourself.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
22-10-2015, 10:01 AM
(22-10-2015 09:44 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(22-10-2015 09:15 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Red herring.

Laugh out load a red herring would be if I presented a different example/argument to distract from your argument. I'm pointing out that I've rebutted your garbage logic and examples multiple times already.

Educate yourself.

And your entire argument boils down to the claim that there can be no evidence for character's being fictional.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
22-10-2015, 10:33 AM
(22-10-2015 10:01 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(22-10-2015 09:44 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Laugh out load a red herring would be if I presented a different example/argument to distract from your argument. I'm pointing out that I've rebutted your garbage logic and examples multiple times already.

Educate yourself.

And your entire argument boils down to the claim that there can be no evidence for character's being fictional.

Drinking Beverage You're the one that made the claim there is evidence...without ever showing any. I believe you called the evidence "abundant and compelling" Consider

-Rick
22-10-2015, 10:44 AM
(22-10-2015 10:33 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(22-10-2015 10:01 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  And your entire argument boils down to the claim that there can be no evidence for character's being fictional.

Drinking Beverage You're the one that made the claim there is evidence...without ever showing any. I believe you called the evidence "abundant and compelling" Consider

You're gonna have to take some ownership man. I already offered somethings I would consider as evidence.

And you made a judgement call that it's "not evidence".

It's your view that there can be no evidence that a character is fictional. Ain't that right?

22-10-2015, 11:20 AM
(22-10-2015 10:44 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(22-10-2015 10:33 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Drinking Beverage You're the one that made the claim there is evidence...without ever showing any. I believe you called the evidence "abundant and compelling" Consider

You're gonna have to take some ownership man. I already offered somethings I would consider as evidence.

And you made a judgement call that it's "not evidence".

It's your view that there can be no evidence that a character is fictional. Ain't that right?

You equate the word "evidence" with opinion.

It's funny, you telling me to "take some ownership" when you've peddled bullshit claim after bullshit claim, been caught in your cycle of bullshit, and then peddle more dishonest bullshit and logical fallacies. Someone seems to be projecting again Drinking Beverage

-Rick
22-10-2015, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 22-10-2015 12:52 PM by Stevil.)
(22-10-2015 04:57 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  You’re talking about a rabbinic teacher and his disciples. The relationship between the two is primarily to preserve and spread the teachings of their instructor, in ancient culture, that’s primarily orally. It’s not a relationship where they hear him speak in public once, and than try to memorize it.
And yet the scripture talks about the sermon on the mount as if it was an event in which the words were spoken at that event.
The readers of the bible are being fooled or mislead.

(22-10-2015 04:57 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  But a relationship that involves continual reinforcing, as would any relationship between the disciples and their Jewish instructor. Their sole job is preserve and spread the teachings of their instructor, in an oral culture.
This is certainly foreign to me. To learn someone's speech word for word as if it is something so profound. How many people, once Christian but then have come to realise that magic is bull shit and hence no longer believe that Jesus is a half man half god half breed , continue to hold onto the biblical parables? It seem to me that the parables are only somewhat interesting if Jesus is believed to be magical.

(22-10-2015 04:57 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Okay, so we have a body of parables and sayings, with a common source. The Gospels cite that common source as Yeshua. We don’t find these parables and sayings in writing from other sects, in the jewish literature, to attribute them to anyone else.
Did you follow Bucky's link?

(21-10-2015 02:06 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Your claim about parables is false. The writers place parables in Jesus' teaching which used the same thematic material that was widely circulating.
http://study.com/academy/lesson/parable-...mples.html

You mentioned the prodigal son
(19-10-2015 01:17 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  How many variety of ways can you present the prodigal son story, beyond a faithful telling of the original.

Bucky's link explained that the prodigal son story predates "Jesus"
Quote:Next, let's take a look at 'The Prodigal Son':

This parable has versions in two religious texts: the Bible and the Lotus Sutra,
Also realise that a great amount of biblical material comes from Saul.

(22-10-2015 04:57 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
Quote:Ancient texts refer to a Yeshua.

Commonly translated to Jesus in English. My my indian ethnic tongue, it’s Yeshua, in my ethnic tongue, Peter is Pathrose, Paul is Pauvolose, etc…

If the guy's name was Yeshua, why not call him Yeshua?
If I go to China I don't want people calling me tiwen, I don't want Maoris calling me tipene.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
22-10-2015, 12:33 PM
(22-10-2015 11:20 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You equate the word "evidence" with opinion.

And you equate the claim that Harry Potter and Spiderman are fictional characters as an opinion, as opposed to a fact.

22-10-2015, 12:46 PM
(22-10-2015 12:33 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(22-10-2015 11:20 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You equate the word "evidence" with opinion.

And you equate the claim that Harry Potter and Spiderman are fictional characters as an opinion, as opposed to a fact.
Tomasia What do you mean when you refer to Harry Potter?

Do you mean a magical wizard boy or do you mean an orphan boy with glasses?
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
22-10-2015, 12:49 PM
(22-10-2015 12:33 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  

No, I don't. That's a straw man of what I have said.

I equate your assertions that you call "evidence" as opinion.

Keep trying to spin your bullshit, the web you've woven seems to have you trapped.

-Rick