Richard Carrier or Easter...?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2014, 06:12 PM
Richard Carrier or Easter...?
The atheist group where I live is having Richard Carrier coming to speak on the 19th, and a general dinner with him on the 18th. I was definitely going because that sounds awesome! But Easter is on that Sunday, the 20th...

Why does that matter for an atheist like me, you might ask...

My parents want me to come to town for Easter... I'll come to town for Christmas no problem, because I like Christmas and it's fun and my friends all go back home and I get to see and hangout with them. But I don't care in the least about Easter. But I think it's important my parents, not for religious reasons, but for family togetherness, so I feel bad not coming and doing the family meal thing.

But I just don't care about Easter, and I'd rather hear Richard Carrier talk. What to do...

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2014, 06:17 PM
RE: Richard Carrier or Easter...?
Invite your family to go with you to see Carrier? Angel

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 1 user Likes John's post
12-04-2014, 06:21 PM
(12-04-2014 06:17 PM)John Wrote:  Invite your family to go with you to see Carrier? Angel

Probably not going to work...

12-04-2014, 06:26 PM
What the fuck even happens at Easter?

Nothing... It'd be alright if I got a shit load of presents, but no... All I get is some thin chocolate in the shape of an egg. Not even enough foil to wrap round me knob.

P.S

Yes... I am drunk.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
12-04-2014, 06:32 PM
(12-04-2014 06:26 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  What the fuck even happens at Easter?

It's like a slightly smaller thanksgiving but with ham instead of turkey at my folks place. Thumbsup

Yeah, going to church is slightly inconvenient, even if the music is decent. Carrier I could pass up. I like reading his work, but I find him to be pretty pretentious and annoying as a speaker. I suppose it would still be neat to see him speak though.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
12-04-2014, 06:37 PM
(12-04-2014 06:32 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  

It's like a slightly smaller thanksgiving but with ham instead of turkey at my folks place. Thumbsup

Yeah, going to church is slightly inconvenient, even if the music is decent. Carrier I could pass up. I like reading his work, but I find him to be pretty pretentious and annoying as a speaker. I suppose it would still be neat to see him speak though.

We don't have thanks giving in the UK... We have an annual "Fuck You Feast" instead.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-04-2014, 06:57 PM
(12-04-2014 06:32 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  

I agree, he does come off that way. But as Paranoidsam so eloquently put it, "What the fuck even happens at Easter?". I get now fucking presents, and my parents do ham. I LOVE turkey. But I rarely care about ham, unless ham actually is not ham but is bacon instead.

It's either go to a thing I could care less about, just to make my parents happy to see me, or go seen a pretentious dude talk pretentiously, but at least it would be a new, different thing to do.

But...Consider I do like me some deviled eggs...

12-04-2014, 08:01 PM
(12-04-2014 06:57 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(12-04-2014 06:32 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  It's like a slightly smaller thanksgiving but with ham instead of turkey at my folks place. Thumbsup

I agree, he does come off that way. But as Paranoidsam so eloquently put it, "What the fuck even happens at Easter?". I get now fucking presents, and my parents do ham. I LOVE turkey. But I rarely care about ham, unless ham actually is not ham but is bacon instead.

It's either go to a thing I could care less about, just to make my parents happy to see me, or go seen a pretentious dude talk pretentiously, but at least it would be a new, different thing to do.

I love the meal, but really seeing family is the best thing for me. We don't get that many chances to get together throughout the year and I've got two of their grandchildren that they don't get to watch grow up except for on facebook. I really don't mind going through the religious motions so that we can all catch up and have a nice time together. So I rather enjoy the holiday.

Also, ham is fucking delicious. I don't care what you say. Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
12-04-2014, 08:11 PM
(12-04-2014 08:01 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(12-04-2014 06:57 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  I agree, he does come off that way. But as Paranoidsam so eloquently put it, "What the fuck even happens at Easter?". I get now fucking presents, and my parents do ham. I LOVE turkey. But I rarely care about ham, unless ham actually is not ham but is bacon instead.

I love the meal, but really seeing family is the best thing for me. We don't get that many chances to get together throughout the year and I've got two of their grandchildren that they don't get to watch grow up except for on facebook. I really don't mind going through the religious motions so that we can all catch up and have a nice time together. So I rather enjoy the holiday.

Also, ham is fucking delicious. I don't care what you say. Tongue

Maybe if you bacon wrapped that ham, then I'd be on board.

As far as the religious thing, there is none of that with my family. Last year we spent a good portion of our meal with me regaling my family with stories of the crazy things my fundie coworker keeps going on about the "rapture". We all had a good laugh, as a family.

12-04-2014, 08:22 PM
(12-04-2014 08:11 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Maybe if you bacon wrapped that ham, then I'd be on board.

As far as the religious thing, there is none of that with my family. Last year we spent a good portion of our meal with me regaling my family with stories of the crazy things my fundie coworker keeps going on about the "rapture". We all had a good laugh, as a family.

I don't disagree about the bacon. Cool

Daddy's a preacher, so I don't get off so easy on the religious part. But really, other than going to church, there's not a whole lot of mention of religion throughout our visits. I get the feeling that they sense my apathy towards the subject, and leave well enough alone as long as I bring the fam and have some good times with them.

My mom will always make a comment here and there about god, but it's natural for her so I can't really hold it against her. She's not trying to be obnoxious or anything, she's just being mom.

~ Umberto Eco