Richard Carrier or Easter...?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2014, 08:37 PM
RE: Richard Carrier or Easter...?
Fuck easter. They do that shit every year. How many chances will you get to hear Carrier speak?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2014, 08:49 PM
(12-04-2014 08:37 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Fuck easter. They do that shit every year. How many chances will you get to hear Carrier speak?

YouTube is pretty handy when it comes to that. Just sayin....

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
12-04-2014, 09:03 PM
(12-04-2014 08:49 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(12-04-2014 08:37 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Fuck easter. They do that shit every year. How many chances will you get to hear Carrier speak?

I agree. He's not Richard Dawkins. It wouldn't be a question if it was someone like that, especially because we have a dinner with him, and I could actually ask him questions, and talk with him. But with Carrier I don't really expect to hear too much more or different that what I hear on YouTube already anyway. It's more actually attending something live, and the chance to connect with the visible people in the "community".

But it is super annoying that Easter is happening on this same day... stupid fuking Jesus had to die for our, yet to have happened, "sins" and fuck everything up for everyone! Jesus is a fucking asshole!

12-04-2014, 10:04 PM
(12-04-2014 06:26 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  What the fuck even happens at Easter?
P.S
Yes... I am drunk.

What happens at Easter you ask ?
The fucking Easter Bunny comes hopping down the bunny path, ya weirdo.
With cinnamon jelly beans an chocolate shit.
What is WRONG with you ?

I wouldn't miss Carrier. There has to be a way to do both.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
12-04-2014, 10:50 PM
(12-04-2014 06:12 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  The atheist group where I live is having Richard Carrier coming to speak on the 19th, and a general dinner with him on the 18th. I was definitely going because that sounds awesome! But Easter is on that Sunday, the 20th...

Why does that matter for an atheist like me, you might ask...

My parents want me to come to town for Easter... I'll come to town for Christmas no problem, because I like Christmas and it's fun and my friends all go back home and I get to see and hangout with them. But I don't care in the least about Easter. But I think it's important my parents, not for religious reasons, but for family togetherness, so I feel bad not coming and doing the family meal thing.

But I just don't care about Easter, and I'd rather hear Richard Carrier talk. What to do...

I dunno. His "my way or the highway, CHUDs" antics wrt the whole "Atheism+" bullshit really turned me off. The only reason I would ever go see him would be to embarrass the shit out of him in the Q&A.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
13-04-2014, 02:41 PM
(12-04-2014 06:32 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(12-04-2014 06:26 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  What the fuck even happens at Easter?

It's like a slightly smaller thanksgiving but with ham instead of turkey at my folks place. Thumbsup

Yeah, going to church is slightly inconvenient, even if the music is decent. Carrier I could pass up. I like reading his work, but I find him to be pretty pretentious and annoying as a speaker. I suppose it would still be neat to see him speak though.

Not a great speaker when presenting. He is an "okay" debater though. Nobody could beat Dan Barkers failure of a debate against Hamza Tstortiz (or however you spell his name). He brought up nothing.

I went to and visited Carrier when he came to Ottawa a few weeks ago. Nicest guy ever.

“Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

-Christopher Hitchens
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-04-2014, 03:08 PM
(13-04-2014 02:41 PM)Just Another Atheist Wrote:  Nicest guy ever.

It's really staggering how differently Carrier comes out when live vs. when he writes on his blog. He's almost beyond cordial in his debates and talks (nevermind the pretentious parts), but when responding to people on his blog he's really vitriolic and hostile. You'd think they are two different people.

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 1 user Likes John's post
13-04-2014, 03:25 PM
(13-04-2014 03:08 PM)John Wrote:  
(13-04-2014 02:41 PM)Just Another Atheist Wrote:  Nicest guy ever.

It's really staggering how differently Carrier comes out when live vs. when he writes on his blog. He's almost beyond cordial in his debates and talks (nevermind the pretentious parts), but when responding to people on his blog he's really vitriolic and hostile. You'd think they are two different people.

I can't agree more. It does weird me out sometimes, but at the same time, it would be unfair to judge his work on his character.

“Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

-Christopher Hitchens
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-04-2014, 06:23 PM
Lol, gonna have to go with Richard Carrier on this one. You seldom get an opportunity to meet a figure like this in a lifetime. However much you or anyone else attempts to downplay it, the fact remains that this is still a very special opportunity that you most likely will regret if missed.

Of course if you do end up going, try to catch up with your fam another time and schedule something to make up for your absence on easter.

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
13-04-2014, 06:43 PM
(12-04-2014 08:49 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  

Youtube is not "real life."

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!