Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason & Science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2013, 05:25 AM
RE: Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason & Science
Message to chipster's mum...

please let him use the computer again...

we're not offended....he's not subtle enough....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2013, 06:26 AM
(16-10-2013 04:58 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  
(15-10-2013 06:57 AM)black_squirrel Wrote:  Are you saying we should hate Jews as much as Christians?

We should hate everyone equally.

Then we also should hate atheists.
Find all posts by this user
16-10-2013, 06:27 AM
(15-10-2013 08:53 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  No. I'm an asshole, he's just a cunt.

No, I'm fairly sure you qualify as a stupid cunt for various reasons including your inability to sequentially read a thread and establish a context.

Quote:I'll verbal slander someone, but only when they deserve it or do something stupid. I'm not afraid to call stupidity out as stupidity when others wont.

"[V]erbal slander" is redundant. Slander--by definition--can only be verbal.

You are a font of stupidity. Review your posts.

Quote:But I'm not gonna just hugely verbally bash someone like what he just did for no reason at all.

It's not for "no reason" you imbecile. Read the fucking thread from the beginning.

Quote:That's just being a waste of space cunt what he's doing.

All of your posts are a waste of disk space. Two of my posts have more substantive content than one-hundred of yours.

Quote:I do it for educational reasons

A prerequisite to educating someone is knowing more tnan they do. On that criterion you would be able to educate only a mentally retarded monkey and that may actually turn out to be a mutually enriching experience.

Quote:, to inform your stupid ass you're an idiot

You are an idiot. By your reasoning someone must inform you of that. I've just done that.

Quote:He does it because he's a troll.

Read my posts and if you think you know more about the matter I am addressing or that I am wrong then challenge me. I am quite confident that I have forgotten more philosophy and science than you know. Any cuntass can call someone a "troll" and you are nothing more than a cuntass, so you have actualised your potential.
16-10-2013, 07:03 AM
(16-10-2013 05:25 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Message to chipster's mum...

Message to Mark Fulton's mother:

When grandma takes him to the local park tomorrow don't forget to fit him with his (holistic) special needs helmet.

[Image: 319161_252025218174782_2068571570_n.jpg] + [Image: danmar-full-coverage-helmet1.jpg] = Happy park time!
16-10-2013, 07:26 AM
(15-10-2013 01:33 AM)Diogenes of Mayberry Wrote:  Thanks, and now that I have your attention, my book, Manifest Insanity, has been listed on Professor Dawkins website.

Congrats!!!

It's rather like getting a pin from the pope...Laughat

Seriously...congratulations are in order and don't let a few shit on your parade!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-10-2013, 09:56 AM
(15-10-2013 01:33 AM)Diogenes of Mayberry Wrote:  Thanks, and now that I have your attention, my book, Manifest Insanity, has been listed on Professor Dawkins website.
Congratulations, well done! Thumbsup

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
16-10-2013, 09:57 AM
(15-10-2013 06:20 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(15-10-2013 04:20 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Hey junior, have you read the book? If not, shut the fuck up.

Eat shit and die you mindless, unquestioning drone. I don't recall your license being a term and condition of registration on this forum.

"The historical information is presented in an informal, but polemical, conversation between teachers and students in a Christian high school as they move from class to class throughout the day."[1]

An example[2]:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Hellenistic Jews play a key role in the early history of Christianity and its spread beyond Judaea into the Roman Empire through apostles, like Paul—who was himself a Greek-speaking Jew from Anatolia in modern day Turkey—who ventured out to spread the good word to Diaspora Jews and pagan Gentiles. Given that Jesus was a devout Galilean Jew, preaching Jewish teachings to Jewish people—although with a new spin on the teachings—these Jews would have understood his teachings within the context of their culture, law and Scriptures. Therefore, it makes sense that Hellenistic Jews in Greek-speaking regions would have been among some of the original converts.”

“Jesus was Jewish? That’s crazy! What are you talking about?” Linda challenged.

“Jesus Christ, you really are totally clueless!” Jeff blurted out and then laughed at the irony of his choice of words. “The Romans, according to the biblical stories, nailed INRI above the cross, which stood for Jesus of Nazareth King of the Jews. So, if he wasn’t Jewish, what was he?”

“He was Christian, obviously,” Linda replied knowingly.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So clearly "Diogenes of Mayberry" attended the Ayn Rand school of novel writing: unrealistic dialogue and extended monologues based on a thin premise. A monologue:[3]

-------------------------MONOLOGUE STARTS---------------------------------------------
“I do get a kick out of using your own book against you. There is something almost poetic about using the Bible against itself. However, to be fair, many other prophets like Jeremiah spoke out against sacrificial practices in general, not just of children, though I am sure this in particular disturbed them a great deal. Allow me to read a few passages to highlight their view on the utterly futile nature of sacrifices, and which matters were truly more important. Starting with Isaiah 1:11-17,

To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the Lord: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats. When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts? Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting. Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them. And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood. Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil; Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow.

“See, doesn’t that sound reasonable? Forget sacrifices and just do what you can to help the less fortunate with good works. That is a religion I might have been able to support, but look at all of the mythological crap we got instead. It is too bad no one listened to Isaiah, for his radically sane ideas didn’t catch on and the message had to be repeated in Jeremiah 6:20. ‘To what purpose cometh there to me incense from Sheba, and the sweet cane from a far country? Your burnt offerings are not acceptable, nor your sacrifices sweet unto me.’

“Sadly, the superstitious believers didn’t listen to Jeremiah either, because apparently Hosea, Amos and Micah had to keep reminding them. From Hosea 6:6 it reads, ‘For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.’ From Amos 5:21-23, ‘I hate, I despise your feast days, and I will not smell in your solemn assemblies. Though ye offer me burnt offerings and your meat offerings, I will not accept them: neither will I regard the peace offerings of your fat beasts. Take thou away from me the noise of thy songs; for I will not hear the melody of thy viols.’ Finally, from Micah 6:6-8, ‘Wherewith shall I come before the Lord, and bow myself before the high God? Shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves of a year old? Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams, or with ten thousands of rivers of oil? Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?’

“It also seems the Temple priests self-servingly ignored the prophets of their own Scriptures. I guess the priests simply didn’t care, despite the pleas and sharp criticisms from their respected prophets, that all this spilling of blood was counter-productive to the moral tenets of their religion. A morality that included justice and mercy, which is at odds with the cruel, delusional and selfish thinking that sacrificing animals or children would transfer the stains of their own sins to others in order for them get a clean slate.'
-------------------------MONOLOGUE ENDS-----------------------------------------------

Why would I choose to read more of this self-published pulp when I could use that time to read a better fiction or non-fiction book? Also what would compel me to actually pay for more of this execrable pap? What exactly is the value proposition? I am unable to find one. The supplied excerpts are provided on the premise that they are representatives samples of the prose of the book so it should be sufficient of me to read those samples (and that I have) to form a conclusion (and that I have). Those are presumably the best parts of the book, they are supposed to be the "hook", they are supposed to establish the value proposition of purchase.

Even the blurb is poorly composed:

"Woven into the story is a satirical reimagining of Dr. Strangelove, as modern-day liberal secularism—replacing the Soviet paranoia of the Cold War era—fuels the right-wing hype of a godless society on the road to hell."

Dr. Strangelove is a satire, so how do you have "a satirical reimagining" of a satire. A meta-satire? The semantically correct formulation is:

"Woven into the story is a reimagining of Dr. Strangelove, a satirization of right-wing hype of a godless society on the road to hell—replacing the Soviet paranoia of the Cold War era—driven by modern-day liberal secularism."

So the sub-plot is derivative and judging from the excerpts it appears tacked on. I don't get any sense of satire in the excerpts.

Here's some more:

“That revenge fantasy alone screams volumes about the fragile, wounded psyches of the holier-than-thou crowd. It’s too bad psychoanalysis didn’t exist way back then as these fantasies, provoked by impotent rage, are all very Freudian."

Psychoanalysis is psedoscientific rubbish (see also here and here) whose death in the popular imagination is long overdue. Yet it is being invoked--without any irony--to critique human behaviour . The lietmotif of the book is that Evangelical Christians are ignorant and superstitious yet the author exhibits those very same qualities by resorting to Freudian pseudo-psychologism.
This was a very long-winded way of admitting you haven't read the book. Dodgy

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
16-10-2013, 03:47 PM
(16-10-2013 07:03 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(16-10-2013 05:25 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Message to chipster's mum...

Message to Mark Fulton's mother:

When grandma takes him to the local park tomorrow don't forget to fit him with his (holistic) special needs helmet.

[Image: 319161_252025218174782_2068571570_n.jpg] + [Image: danmar-full-coverage-helmet1.jpg] = Happy park time!

Hey Chippy, if you're capable of holding off on the abuse for a post or two, what's your "website" about?
17-10-2013, 05:47 AM
Thanks Impulse and Mom, and anyone else who has sent their congrats. I've got limited access to the internet these days, as I just arrived at a Philippine island for some scuba diving for the weekend. Time for some rest and relaxation.

As to Chippy, well, haters gonna hate.

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
[+] 1 user Likes Diogenes of Mayberry's post
17-10-2013, 08:03 AM
Chippy: You portray yourself as a mighty big asshole here - I hope in real life you know how to tone it down a bit or I don't see much of a future for you.

That is all. Drinking Beverage

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post