Richard Dawkins: Republicans are a 'disgrace' for denying evolution.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2015, 08:56 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2015 09:02 PM by Tartarus Sauce.)
RE: Richard Dawkins: Republicans are a 'disgrace' for denying evolution.
This is the Republican Party in a nutshell as it currently stands:

"Hello white, uneducated, blue-collar working American. I'm a Republican and I'm running for [insert governing office here]. I represent the interests of fat cat billionaires and corporate CEOs who actively work to disenfranchise your social-political capital in their pursuit of reckless profit. Fear not though, for I also love Jesus! You love Jesus, don't you? Jesus always said to lay your trust not in government but in the wealthy and privileged, for it is under their generous auspices that your miserable, minimum wage job with scant benefits is possible. Maybe once they're done exploiting the ludicrous tax cuts I'll be enacting for them and stockpiling billions of dollars worth of assets in off-shore accounts, they'll consider lettting a few bucks trickle down here and there to you ungrateful masses.

Jesus also said blessed are the small businesses, and boy was he right! The independent, small business is the back bone of the economy and invests in the growth of local commerce. Thanks to the hard work of these local estsblishments, the promising markets they build make for ideal frolicking grounds for the mega-corporations once they buy out the weakling competition.

You wouldn't doubt Jesus would you? Then vote for me!

TERRORISTS! ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS! CHRISTIAN PERSECUTION! SCIENCE IS A LIBERAL CONSPIRACY! GAYS HAVE RUINED TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE! OBAMA WANTS TO TAKE YOUR GUNS! HE'S TOTALLY A MUSLIM THAT WAS BORN IN KENYA! OBAMACARE IS THE WORST THING SINCE SLAVERY! DEMOCRATS ARE COMMUNISTS!

This message was paid for by [insert conservative thinktank here]."

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
06-11-2015, 09:37 PM
I work in a very fancy hotel and we get American tourists daily. They never strike me as religious people. Occasionally I'll get the "God bless you sweetheart" mainly from older people but in general they seem like awesome people. Maybe I'm dealing with more of an upper or educated people but I would have never thought that country in that level would have so many dumb people Consider

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes izel's post
06-11-2015, 09:45 PM
(06-11-2015 09:37 PM)izel Wrote:  I work in a very fancy hotel and we get American tourists daily. They never strike me as religious people. Occasionally I'll get the "God bless you sweetheart" mainly from older people but in general they seem like awesome people. Maybe I'm dealing with more of an upper or educated people but I would have never thought that country in that level would have so many dumb people Consider

Travel broadens the mind ... encouraging humility and a relativistic tolerance of 'other' cultures.

My friends in Asia have a high regard for the generally polite Brits ... they haven't met your average insulated, undereducated Daily Mail reader.

Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
06-11-2015, 09:59 PM
(04-11-2015 04:58 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 02:25 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The Republicans are the ones with the better haircuts.

Yabut, Donald Trump...

Oh. I didn't know that thing was "hair".

And I've decided that Richard Dawkins is completely, entirely wrong.

Republicans are generally just a disgrace .... period. No qualifier or reason needed.
Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
06-11-2015, 10:38 PM
(06-11-2015 09:45 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 09:37 PM)izel Wrote:  I work in a very fancy hotel and we get American tourists daily. They never strike me as religious people. Occasionally I'll get the "God bless you sweetheart" mainly from older people but in general they seem like awesome people. Maybe I'm dealing with more of an upper or educated people but I would have never thought that country in that level would have so many dumb people Consider

Travel broadens the mind ... encouraging humility and a relativistic tolerance of 'other' cultures.

My friends in Asia have a high regard for the generally polite Brits ... they haven't met your average insulated, undereducated Daily Mail reader.

Dodgy

I guess I need to travel a bit then? Only place I wanna travel right now is home to my bed. Its 6:40 in the morning and my shift is almost done. Hobo

1 Like = 1 Prayer
[+] 1 user Likes izel's post
06-11-2015, 10:45 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2015 10:54 PM by Tartarus Sauce.)

And you're probably mostly serving a rich, educated clientele. A wealthy city in a predominantly Muslim country isn't exactly high on the list of travel destinations for a rural, low income, Evangelical family from Arkansas or Kentucky. You have to remember that we are a nation containing over 300 million people; only China and India have larger populations. We produce some of the world's best and brightest scientists and some of the dumbest Bible-thumping, science-denying rednecks. We are inherently a country of contradictions.

How high the density of uneducated idiocy/religiousity manifests depends on which region of the country you're in. The North East, parts of the Midwest, and the West Coast are havens of progressive thought. The South, Great Plains, and northern Rockies are bastions of religious conservatism. The liberal/conservative gradient also adheres to urban density. More urbanized areas virtually always skew overwhelmingly liberal everywhere in the country. Even cities like Atlanta and New Orleans which are buried deep into the Bible Belt are Meccas for liberalism due to their multicultural, multiethnic populations. Meanwhile, conservativism takes root in the rural countryside where there's less population density and less diversity. Religious fundamentalism, after all, does notoriously poorly in diverse social environments where you could be exposed to an eclectic variety of ideas different to your own on a daily basis. Much easier to remain ideologically homogenized if your community is isolated.

So that's America and her citizens. If you visited Washington, D.C. where I live, you could proudly proclaim your atheism and nobody would think less of you for it. Take a trip down to a run-down, pit stop, small town in the Deep South like in Mississsippi or Alabama, you'll discover religious zealotry and ignorance similar to what you'd find in one of those backwater hamlets in eastern Turkey

[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
06-11-2015, 11:44 PM
(06-11-2015 10:45 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  

And you're probably mostly serving a rich, educated clientele. A wealthy city in a predominantly Muslim country isn't exactly high on the list of travel destinations for a rural, low income, Evangelical family from Arkansas or Kentucky. You have to remember that we are a nation containing over 300 million people; only China and India have larger populations. We produce some of the world's best and brightest scientists and some of the dumbest Bible-thumping, science-denying rednecks. We are inherently a country of contradictions.

How high the density of uneducated idiocy/religiousity manifests depends on which region of the country you're in. The North East, parts of the Midwest, and the West Coast are havens of progressive thought. The South, Great Plains, and northern Rockies are bastions of religious conservatism. The liberal/conservative gradient also adheres to urban density. More urbanized areas virtually always skew overwhelmingly liberal everywhere in the country. Even cities like Atlanta and New Orleans which are buried deep into the Bible Belt are Meccas for liberalism due to their multicultural, multiethnic populations. Meanwhile, conservativism takes root in the rural countryside where there's less population density and less diversity. Religious fundamentalism, after all, does notoriously poorly in diverse social environments where you could be exposed to an eclectic variety of ideas different to your own on a daily basis. Much easier to remain ideologically homogenized if your community is isolated.

So that's America and her citizens. If you visited Washington, D.C. where I live, you could proudly proclaim your atheism and nobody would think less of you for it. Take a trip down to a run-down, pit stop, small town in the Deep South like in Mississsippi or Alabama, you'll discover religious zealotry and ignorance similar to what you'd find in one of those backwater hamlets in eastern Turkey

I see what you are saying. I guess I look at it in a very different perspective. Sometimes I see what these crazies in middle east are doing and think to my self, ok this is normal for them considering, these are literally a caveman, they know absolutely nothing. They are uneducated and very uncivilized. I know it we have 2 million syrians refugees in my country. But then I look at United States and in my view from 5000 miles away its a very advanced country, technology power house and as you mentioned some of the best and brightest scientists have come from there. Vast access to education and information, I just see no excuse for americans to be so narrow minded. To me its mind boggling that half the country believes the world is only 9000 years old. My grandma don't buy that crap. I mean you have a moron running to become a president of the so called leader of the free world and he claims he is a doctor yet denies evolution? I just...I don't...I can't cope with it... I do get what you are saying though, I just don't think the future of that country is going to be as great as its past has been.

1 Like = 1 Prayer
[+] 2 users Like izel's post
07-11-2015, 12:07 AM
Yep we Americans can be dumb as rocks. Very advanced but still very religious, unlike most advanced countries. Ignorance is bliss to the bible thumping conservatives. Evolution deniers drive me CRAZY too. Ask anyone and we are the best nation in the world, lol...half the population probably couldn't even locate Europe on a map and have never been out of the US.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
[+] 1 user Likes Imathinker's post
07-11-2015, 12:59 AM
In related news, dirt has been found to be dirty.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
07-11-2015, 09:02 AM
(06-11-2015 11:44 PM)izel Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 10:45 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  And you're probably mostly serving a rich, educated clientele. A wealthy city in a predominantly Muslim country isn't exactly high on the list of travel destinations for a rural, low income, Evangelical family from Arkansas or Kentucky. You have to remember that we are a nation containing over 300 million people; only China and India have larger populations. We produce some of the world's best and brightest scientists and some of the dumbest Bible-thumping, science-denying rednecks. We are inherently a country of contradictions.

I see what you are saying. I guess I look at it in a very different perspective. Sometimes I see what these crazies in middle east are doing and think to my self, ok this is normal for them considering, these are literally a caveman, they know absolutely nothing. They are uneducated and very uncivilized. I know it we have 2 million syrians refugees in my country. But then I look at United States and in my view from 5000 miles away its a very advanced country, technology power house and as you mentioned some of the best and brightest scientists have come from there. Vast access to education and information, I just see no excuse for americans to be so narrow minded. To me its mind boggling that half the country believes the world is only 9000 years old. My grandma don't buy that crap. I mean you have a moron running to become a president of the so called leader of the free world and he claims he is a doctor yet denies evolution? I just...I don't...I can't cope with it... I do get what you are saying though, I just don't think the future of that country is going to be as great as its past has been.

It frustrates me, too. Thankfully, the population as a whole is gradually moving away from the influence that fundamentalists are exerting. The religioiusly unaffilated are the fastest growing religious demographic and religiosity is down, with modest but steady declines in prayer, weekly church attendance, and the percentage of people saying religion is very important to them. In addition, issues like homosexuality and gay marriage have received increased support across the board from all generations and religious groups (although other issues remain more contentious, like abortion).

So you do the math; Republicans, the political party of wealthy interests and enablers of religious extremism, are increasingly relying on the support from right-wing Christians that are becoming more radicalized. However, these white, evangelical Christians are becoming a decreasing share of America's demographic profile and they are deeply unpopular with Millenials and will likely only continue to draw the ire of subsequent generations. Republicans are also struggling to appeal to the rank-and file voters as representative of their interests, because most of them fundamentally aren't. As if that weren't enough, the Republican base is becoming fractured along lines that are widening the gaps between its differing blocs of support and the establishment is having greater difficulty straddling the divides, as the rise of Donald Trump this election cycle and the resignation of John Boehner as Speaker of the House amidst pressure from the unruly far-right demonstrate. If the Republicans don't reform their party agenda to remain relevant and functional at the national level, I wouldn't bet on them lasting for much longer. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a major blowout in the next 10-20 years and a large chunk of the Republican base were to permanently break away from the party.

Of course, you don't need to look to America for potential political turmoil. The political stability of Turkey is in a much more dire situation.

[+] 3 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post