Richard Dawkins: racist, sexist... pedophile?
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2013, 12:04 AM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2013 12:12 AM by PoolBoyG.)
Bug Richard Dawkins: racist, sexist... pedophile?
Yes, yes, the title is meant to be provocative. But Jesus Christ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/09...lp00000003
http://www.religionnews.com/2013/09/09/r...a-remarks/

"..I look back a few decades to my childhood and see things like caning, like mild pedophilia, and can’t find it in me to condemn it by the same standards as I or anyone would today...”

"..mild pedophilia..."

"MILD PEDOPHILIA"

Oh, mild you say. Is that all? How quaint. Carry on.
Find all posts by this user
10-09-2013, 01:18 AM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2013 03:14 AM by ClydeLee.)
Re: Richard Dawkins: racist, sexist... pedophile?
Reminds me of the movie, the history boys... Just common practice for british boarding school masters.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
10-09-2013, 02:10 AM
RE: Richard Dawkins: racist, sexist... pedophile?
(10-09-2013 12:04 AM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  Yes, yes, the title is meant to be provocative. But Jesus Christ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/09...lp00000003
http://www.religionnews.com/2013/09/09/r...a-remarks/

"..I look back a few decades to my childhood and see things like caning, like mild pedophilia, and can’t find it in me to condemn it by the same standards as I or anyone would today...”

"..mild pedophilia..."

"MILD PEDOPHILIA"

Oh, mild you say. Is that all? How quaint. Carry on.

Please provide proof of the other assertions you are making. As for this I've heard far far worse from people but I am surprised that someone that takes the catholic church to task over it's pedophillia scandal made these remarks.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
10-09-2013, 02:55 AM
Pedophilia = "sexual feelings directed toward children"

"Mild" just means he likes them a little bit.

Me? I'm pedophobic.

10-09-2013, 03:41 AM
(10-09-2013 12:04 AM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  "..I look back a few decades to my childhood and see things like caning, like mild pedophilia, and can’t find it in me to condemn it by the same standards as I or anyone would today...”

Do you think he caned other people or that he got caned?
I'm pretty sure he says he was on the receiving end.
And pedophilia is punished much more severe than several decades ago.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
10-09-2013, 04:03 AM
I think he is doing what he always does. Stating what he believes is true, even when it is inconvenient or unpopular, but I would recommend treading lightly on this subject on TTA. This is why I specifically asked for more clear language to be used on the 'rules' thread of the forum.

10-09-2013, 04:16 AM
Re: Richard Dawkins: racist, sexist... pedophile?
He's had tweets expressing his point of this more.

@RichardDawkins "mild touching up" is bad. Raping 8-year-old wife to death is worse. Worse? That's putting it mildly. Quantitative judgment vs black/white.

What happened to him and his schoolmates is mild in comparison to that recent story.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
10-09-2013, 11:45 AM
Drinking Beverage

Did you guys hear that Richard Dawkins likes to be in second place in marathons that he runs? He likes to come in a little behind.

Drinking Beverage
10-09-2013, 04:25 PM
I agree with DL. And quantitative judgement. When children are playing doctor or dressup, they're doing things that would get to national headlines if an adult was involved. That's the thing with children, they're innocent, unattached, don't put the same meaning to a few touches than an old, lecherous pervert does. Thus, in these rare cases they escape unscathed. So does the pervert, if he's careful.

While we're at it, could someone please sum me up the conclusions on pedophilia thread that people got to? (without sparking the debate again)

Personally, I don't know if I'm pedophobic like DLJ. I haven't talked to any children since I was one and probably won't see any until I create one of my own. But it must be fascinating to program the most complex computer on Earth. I might put to test the eternal debate of nature vs. nurture. Can I be a CEO of Family Inc., who just invited a new employee of short stature to the team a few years ago, or do I have to be a full time beastmaster of the little monkeys?
In any case, I'm not giving them over to mind-molesting advertisers, nor the body-molesting ones.
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
11-09-2013, 11:43 AM
(10-09-2013 04:16 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  He's had tweets expressing his point of this more.

@RichardDawkins "mild touching up" is bad. Raping 8-year-old wife to death is worse. Worse? That's putting it mildly. Quantitative judgment vs black/white.

What happened to him and his schoolmates is mild in comparison to that recent story.

Idolization, people. When you find yourself trying to rationalize and accept pedophilia because it happened in the past or it "wasn't as bad as you can imagine".

'I can think of a more serious rape. That was just mild rape, I can't condemn that. Why would you?' I wonder if he'd change his tune if the teacher was a priest Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
Thread Closed