Richard Nixon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2015, 01:30 PM
Richard Nixon
Ahhh yes, Richard Nixon. Just the name alone brings back images of a paranoid nut job.

Now I know this is old news, but it's new to me. I'd heard rumors that Nixon had tried to sabotage the peace talks during the 1968 election and last year George Will, who worked in the White House under Tricky Dicks administration, confirmed it. (How did I miss that news item)

This goes beyond politics to being an act of a traitor. Too bad his name is tainted already.

http://www.commondreams.org/views/2014/0...am-treason

It very scary that this man was elected to the highest office in the US. Very scary indeed.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2015, 01:43 PM
RE: Richard Nixon
This brings to mind something my dad used to say back then.
"Nixon is no worse than the rest of them, he just got caught".
Not my thinking exactly, though I do wonder. Dodgy
15-03-2015, 02:10 PM
(15-03-2015 01:43 PM)pablo Wrote:  This brings to mind something my dad used to say back then.
"Nixon is no worse than the rest of them, he just got caught".
Not my thinking exactly, though I do wonder. Dodgy

I donno. Richard Nixon was in a special category of underhanded politicians.

I remember the old CBS news reporter Walter Cronkite discussing Richard Nixon. This was several years after Nixon had died and Cronkite was recollecting a dinner he attended with Nixon years before and Walter just watched Nixon at the dinner table just to kinda check him out carefully. Nixon started looking at the wallpaper for quite a while then his eyes traveled up to the top of the door and slowly followed the door molding around to the bottom, then his eyes jumped up to the molding on the ceiling and for almost an hour slowly followed the molding around the room. Meanwhile everyone else at the dinner table was enjoying conversation and food.

The guy needed psychiatric help in a big way.

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
15-03-2015, 02:24 PM
He played the piano quite nicely.

Honestly I had to do a paper on a president in college and ended up getting Nixon, (that's what happened when you stayed up late partying the night Before -- all the good presidents were taken). His life was actually very interesting. He was deeply flawed, but also brilliant.

I'm rather mixed about him. I don't hate him or think he was the best -- we have had worse presidents.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

15-03-2015, 02:31 PM
(15-03-2015 02:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  He played the piano quite nicely.

Honestly I had to do a paper on a president in college and ended up getting Nixon, (that's what happened when you stayed up late partying the night Before -- all the good presidents were taken). His life was actually very interesting. He was deeply flawed, but also brilliant.

I'm rather mixed about him. I don't hate him or think he was the best -- we have had worse presidents.

Even William Harrison was taken?!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
15-03-2015, 02:37 PM
(15-03-2015 02:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  He played the piano quite nicely.

I would think Nixon had plenty of material to write a paper on. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
15-03-2015, 02:44 PM
(15-03-2015 02:37 PM)pablo Wrote:  

I would think Nixon had plenty of material to write a paper on. Big Grin

I had to read a bunch of different books on him and his life. Which led to reading like three books on Kissenger.

My head hurt, but I got full credit at the end. The professor commented my paper was the most balanced he had read. So there's that.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-03-2015, 03:06 PM
(15-03-2015 02:44 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(15-03-2015 02:37 PM)pablo Wrote:  I would think Nixon had plenty of material to write a paper on. Big Grin

I had to read a bunch of different books on him and his life. Which led to reading like three books on Kissenger.

My head hurt, but I got full credit at the end. The professor commented my paper was the most balanced he had read. So there's that.

I think about weird stuff sometimes. For instance......

I'm amazed that anyone could have had sex with Nixon. Poor Pat Nixon, I just can't imagine what it was like. Sadcryface

15-03-2015, 03:20 PM
The first president that I remember is Kennedy. LBJ didn't make much of an impression on me. I just recall that Kennedy was quite charismatic and had a movie star quality to me. Nixon was a grumpy looking, grouchy old man...as seen through the eyes of a kid anyway.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
15-03-2015, 03:28 PM
(15-03-2015 03:20 PM)Anjele Wrote:  The first president that I remember is Kennedy. LBJ didn't make much of an impression on me. I just recall that Kennedy was quite charismatic and had a movie star quality to me. Nixon was a grumpy looking, grouchy old man...as seen through the eyes of a kid anyway.

There's a strong argument that Nixon lost to Kennedy because of his looks.
The 1960 debate was the first televised, when you put Nixon and Kennedy on the same stage, Nixon's trollish looks really stand out.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post