Rick Santorum -Rant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2012, 11:23 AM
RE: Rick Santorum -Rant
(01-03-2012 06:11 AM)Dunhill808 Wrote:  
(29-02-2012 07:34 PM)Dragon-Wolf Wrote:  
(29-02-2012 06:03 PM)dreamingfifi Wrote:  Santorum reminds me of those wacky villains in silly spy flicks. How can anyone take him seriously?
Because his mindset appeals to and reflects the mindset of the majority, that's why.
There are plenty of people out there who feel that religion should be back in public schools and that religion should have a place in politics as well as any social issue.

I have to disagree with you here, with the caveat that I do not live in the United States, but I frequent there and watch a lot of your news (it’s just so much more interesting). It seems to me that most Americans are pretty timid about their religious views. They are quite happy to espouse birth control and same sex marriage in their own family or social circle, but as long as it doesn’t directly affect them I don’t think the majority of people are going to turn up on a weekend morning to vote on an amendment or law making such things illegal. I the words of the great Prophet Mohammed, ‘You’ve got shit to do’………or was that John Stewart?

I think Santorum is getting the attention he is due to three minority players:
1) The Crazies – These are your Fundamentalists, your bitter old people, your homophobes and those who vote for whoever they are told without really doing their research. These are the people who show up to rallies, make banners and give Rachel Madow her sound bites.
2) The Ridiculously Wealthy But Stupid: I’m not a believer in the idea that Money Wins Elections, the link provided provides an argument to the contrary. None the less campaign funding does help a figure become more public regardless of how sound or stupid their ideals or message is. The problem is that money does buy politicians’ favour once they are in power and some of these wealthy folk want to be remembered once Mitt or Rick get into power (hypothetically), and you can only take one girl to the dance. This results in a hilarious backfire where the moderately bland cookie cutter candidate in the form of Romney is given the same airtime and funding as the ass-mad theocrat, in the form of Mr Santorum. I don’t think Foster Friess actually gives two shits about birth control (he back flipped on that stupid aspirin joke pretty quick), or gay marriage or even foreign policy. What he cares about is that IF Santorum was to become president, that Rick owes him a favour next time those tax breaks are up for extension.
3) The Media: They say if it bleeds, it leads. In this case the bleeding is the slow draining of credibility from the Republican Party by a Charlatan and a Witch Doctor. The great wound was initially created by the metaphorical machete of stupidity that was the Bush administration and now Romney is trying to cleanse the wound with his snake oil and a smooth tongue. Mean while Santorum has grabbed his book of spells and cut the head of a chicken, dancing around the GOP’s spluttering corpse in an attempt to incite divine intervention. All this time the media on both sides and in the middle has been there lapping it up or fanning what usually a series of spot fire issues, into an inferno. It’s a fucking freak show!

When I spend time in America I just don’t see these fundamentalist, flag-shirt wearing mouth breathers that seem to have hijacked the position of American poster child. Most are considerate, mild mannered, really REALLY polite (almost freakishly so) and above all else modest.

Wow that came out way more long winded than I planned!

While I find this all very insightful, it depends completely on WHERE in America you are. I live in a very liberal part of the country, so I don't have to worry about being harassed. However, my brother lives in the deep south, and often had to deal with fundamentalists. America is a very large country, and it isn't the same everywhere.

My Blog
[Image: 1z5qgiq.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2012, 12:12 AM
RE: Rick Santorum -Rant
(01-03-2012 11:23 AM)NeonMoment Wrote:  While I find this all very insightful, it depends completely on WHERE in America you are. I live in a very liberal part of the country, so I don't have to worry about being harassed. However, my brother lives in the deep south, and often had to deal with fundamentalists. America is a very large country, and it isn't the same everywhere.

Touché, I have only ever visited the West coast, and Guam if that sort of counts.

"Gary, it's burning, what we gonna do"
-Bill Bailey
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply