Rick Warren's Son Commits Suicide

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2013, 05:39 PM
RE: Rick Warren's Son Commits Suicide
My first thought was the "damned to hell" concept regarding suicide. Didn't even have to look to see if that had been done.

When someone loses someone, why can't people just be decent?

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
06-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Wow, I thought you were talking about atheists getting into arguments in the comments. Although I do see a few, it seems mostly to be Christians saying "Suicide -> That's a paddling". Unbelievable.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
06-04-2013, 05:46 PM
(06-04-2013 05:43 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  Wow, I thought you were talking about atheists getting into arguments in the comments. Although I do see a few, it seems mostly to be Christians saying "Suicide -> That's a paddling". Unbelievable.

When I looked there were only like 10 comments and 2 of them were people picking fights 1 was an atheist the other not sure.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
06-04-2013, 09:32 PM
This is very sad I truly mean that but I am wondering if anyone wants to talk about it with how it relates to the faith and Christianity I mean this guys dad wrote a book explaining why we are here our purpose ect he was not just another preacher I am just astonished that of all the people this guys kid killed himself what drove him to that point? I have already had a theist tell me he is sure it is all a part of Gods plan and I wanted to vomit. I would like to discuss it and thought doing it on fb would be a very bad idea am I wrong in posting this am I being mean?

"Invisible pink unicorns" and "Screaming blue ants" Matt Slick
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-04-2013, 09:56 PM
(06-04-2013 09:32 PM)ChuckTesta Wrote:  This is very sad I truly mean that but I am wondering if anyone wants to talk about it with how it relates to the faith and Christianity I mean this guys dad wrote a book explaining why we are here our purpose ect he was not just another preacher I am just astonished that of all the people this guys kid killed himself what drove him to that point? I have already had a theist tell me he is sure it is all a part of Gods plan and I wanted to vomit. I would like to discuss it and thought doing it on fb would be a very bad idea am I wrong in posting this am I being mean?

If you want to discuss it, a forum like this is the appropriate place. The news story announcing his death is not. Time and a place. As for what caused it? Hard to say depression is not fully understood. I have seen mentions of maybe closeted homosexuality playing a role and if that is the case would lead to a very fragmented life and would lead to depression. Then again maybe his brain's ph was just off balance and the medication he was taking pushed it over the edge. Without knowing the kids motives (which may never be fully known) its almost impossible to say.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
06-04-2013, 10:07 PM
I'm very happy to have joined a community that feels the way I do about this. Thumbsup

Spewing hate at a time like this reprehensible. If evil exists; this is it.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
06-04-2013, 10:22 PM
You are not being mean. I don't know about talking on this specific issue with this kids suicide, but I'd like to discuss what a person might do to EASE the suffering of someone who has just experienced loss, instead of hurting them! What do you say to the father of a dead child, or, even more difficult, the atheist mother of a dead girl? Do you say anything? Offer them a shoulder to weep on while you hold them? I always FEEL I should say something, hell I WANT to say something to ease their pain, but refrain out of fear I'll say something that causes them to double over with extra grief!

06-04-2013, 10:37 PM
(06-04-2013 10:22 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  You are not being mean. I don't know about talking on this specific issue with this kids suicide, but I'd like to discuss what a person might do to EASE the suffering of someone who has just experienced loss, instead of hurting them! What do you say to the father of a dead child, or, even more difficult, the atheist mother of a dead girl? Do you say anything? Offer them a shoulder to weep on while you hold them? I always FEEL I should say something, hell I WANT to say something to ease their pain, but refrain out of fear I'll say something that causes them to double over with extra grief!

It's been my experience that they don't really want platitudes just quiet understanding. The level of grief a parent feel over the lose of a child is probably the worst pain you can under go (emotionally) I know a couple of people that have had to deal with this and nothing that is said is really helping them as much as the shared grief and love of friends and family. It is also one of those wounds that even time can never fully heal. Thats why I have no tolerance for people that act out at a time like this.

06-04-2013, 11:01 PM
Then don't say anything, and share their tears as you hold them close if you want to help instead of hurt!
Better than funeral protests, I feel.

07-04-2013, 07:37 AM
(06-04-2013 03:00 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(06-04-2013 02:39 PM)onedream Wrote:  http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/04/0...d-suicide/

In the comments 2 people attempted to turn that into a theological debate. Not cool. Time and a place for that and in a news story about a child committing suicide is neither. I dont care how much of an asshole the father is that is the worst thing that can happen to a human being. Its atheists who go out of their way to troll everything that make us all look bad and really set back the entire movement.

I disagree. It's not the parents' living room. It's not the funeral. It's the comments' section of a news story. There is no better place for such a debate.

I'm getting really tired of this bleeding-heart, "don't debate because the story is sad" bullshit.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user