Rick Warren's Son Commits Suicide

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2013, 09:44 AM
RE: Rick Warren's Son Commits Suicide
(07-04-2013 07:37 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(06-04-2013 03:00 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  In the comments 2 people attempted to turn that into a theological debate. Not cool. Time and a place for that and in a news story about a child committing suicide is neither. I dont care how much of an asshole the father is that is the worst thing that can happen to a human being. Its atheists who go out of their way to troll everything that make us all look bad and really set back the entire movement.

I disagree. It's not the parents' living room. It's not the funeral. It's the comments' section of a news story. There is no better place for such a debate.

I'm getting really tired of this bleeding-heart, "don't debate because the story is sad" bullshit.

I guess I kind of agree, but then again, what debate? This is somebodies loss. I'm not sure religion plays into it any more than what we want to read into the situation. I have Warren's book on my shelf now. Pretty good read even as misguided as it is. I don't really like the guy but I still feel bad for him.

I don't care what walk of life you come from, this just sucks. We can debate all day long but I don't think there's any reason to drag anybody through the mud at one of the lowest times of their life in any way shape or form. In any forum.

Just my opinion. You do what you gotta do.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2013, 09:49 AM
(07-04-2013 07:37 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I disagree. It's not the parents' living room. It's not the funeral. It's the comments' section of a news story. There is no better place for such a debate.

I'm getting really tired of this bleeding-heart, "don't debate because the story is sad" bullshit.

I think it is impossible to have a debate in the comments section of a newspaper website. I had a look and saw no evidence of any debate going on at all.

Over and above the issue of "feelings" there is also the matter of practicality. I pick and choose my battles when it comes to religion. Times like this are when the religious cling to their beliefs more strongly than ever. Emotions are charged and neither side is really listening to each other. In fact it probably just further entrenches the religious in their positions. I did see evidence of this among those comments.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
[+] 4 users Like Heathen's post
07-04-2013, 10:35 AM
No doubt this will be filled with heart felt responses to this guy and probably from him too about how it's all part of gods plan blah blah despite the fact that suicide in his religion dictates said person going to hell.
They will very likely spout some shit about how they prayed for him and their prayers were answered and god saved him from hell and brought him up to heaven because that is how religion works. Don't like something? change it, after all it's all in your head anyway so it doesn't matter if you simply say god saved this guy from eternal hell fire despite your book clearly dictating otherwise.

I guarantee at that funeral there will be speeches about him dancing with the angles at the pearly gates.

Oh, and yes before anyone gets their panties in a twist, it's a horrible thing, such a waste of life, etc.. etc..

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
07-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Ohhh, earmuffs, you're so cute! Aw. *pinch cheek*

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
07-04-2013, 11:02 AM
yea yea I know.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
11-12-2013, 10:03 PM
So, another prominent fundie's son kills himself. Hmmm ???
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...icide.html

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
11-12-2013, 10:19 PM
(06-04-2013 02:39 PM)onedream Wrote:  http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/04/0...d-suicide/

I'll be honest; kinda surprised how many people seemed saddened by this news on the forum, I can't help be feel completely indifferent to this.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
11-12-2013, 10:38 PM
It's sad. Sad

He suffered a "mental illness" that caused him to be depressed.

I wonder what it was.

Sadly, I suspect I know what it was, considering the family. But thats just a personal thought.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
11-12-2013, 11:51 PM
Suicide is an act of violence. Sad
...and not only against one self.

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/suicide_prevention.htm
11-12-2013, 11:57 PM
(11-12-2013 11:51 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Suicide is an act of violence. Sad
...and not only against one self.

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/suicide_prevention.htm

And your training in the subject has consisted of what, exactly, Pussy Cat IRC ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Suicide bombing on Isreal tourists... Filox 18 593 20-07-2012 03:56 AM
Last Post: Filox
  Rick Santorum -Rant NeonMoment 11 1,074 08-03-2012 12:12 AM
Last Post: Dunhill808
Sad Assisted suicide advocate Doctor Jack Kevorkian dies at 83 GassyKitten 2 432 28-10-2011 10:41 PM
Last Post: Karl
  Slick Rick monkeyshine89 20 1,902 28-07-2011 11:44 PM
Last Post: LarryT
Exclamation Suicide bomber strikes at top NATO, Afghan leaders GassyKitten 0 253 28-05-2011 03:27 PM
Last Post: GassyKitten