Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2013, 12:01 AM
RE: Rick Warren's Son Commits Suicide
(11-12-2013 11:57 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 11:51 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Suicide is an act of violence. Sad
...and not only against one self.

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/suicide_prevention.htm

And your training in the subject has consisted of what, exactly, Pussy Cat IRC ?

I know violence pretty well.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2013, 12:07 AM
(12-12-2013 12:01 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 11:57 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  And your training in the subject has consisted of what, exactly, Pussy Cat IRC ?

I know violence pretty well.

Really ? Are you a Mansion family member ?
"Knowing" violence doesn't make you an expert on anything, or qualify you to comment on it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
12-12-2013, 12:24 AM
Knowing stuff doesn't make you an expert on anything, or qualify you to comment on it.
Well then why did you ask? Huh
12-12-2013, 01:09 AM
(06-04-2013 09:32 PM)ChuckTesta Wrote:  I am just astonished that of all the people this guys kid killed himself what drove him to that point?

Most people that commit suicide and attempt suicide are depressed[1]. You should think of MDD as an illness; MDD is enough to drive someone to suicide even if their life isn't that bad. MDD distorts your thinking. What appears just bad for a euthymic person looks absolutely dire for a person with MDD. Religious people aren't immune to MDD.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-12-2013, 01:20 AM

That's a rather strange conception of suicide. Most people that suicide or attempt it have a mood disorder at the time, i.e. they have clinical depression. The suicide and the genuine attempt are motivated by a desire for a relief from the anguish of it. A common symptom of MDD is a disproportionate sense of guilt (often over a relatively small matter) so casting suicidal people as a bunch of passive-aggressives is unjustifiable.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-12-2013, 01:49 AM
(12-12-2013 01:20 AM)Chippy Wrote:  

That's a rather strange conception of suicide. Most people that suicide or attempt it have a mood disorder at the time, i.e. they have clinical depression. The suicide and the genuine attempt are motivated by a desire for a relief from the anguish of it. A common symptom of MDD is a disproportionate sense of guilt (often over a relatively small matter) so casting suicidal people as a bunch of passive-aggressives is unjustifiable.

I think maybe Lion was referring to the people left behind after. Yes the person who commits suicide was probably seriously depressed. The people, the family go through their own suffering, in the aftermath.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-12-2013, 02:06 AM
(12-12-2013 01:49 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(12-12-2013 01:20 AM)Chippy Wrote:  That's a rather strange conception of suicide. Most people that suicide or attempt it have a mood disorder at the time, i.e. they have clinical depression. The suicide and the genuine attempt are motivated by a desire for a relief from the anguish of it. A common symptom of MDD is a disproportionate sense of guilt (often over a relatively small matter) so casting suicidal people as a bunch of passive-aggressives is unjustifiable.

I think maybe Lion was referring to the people left behind after. Yes the person who commits suicide was probably seriously depressed. The people, the family go through their own suffering, in the aftermath.

It's not violence as IRC stipulated:
vi·o·lence (v-lns)
n.
1. Physical force exerted for the purpose of violating, damaging, or abusing: crimes of violence.
2. The act or an instance of violent action or behavior.
3. Intensity or severity, as in natural phenomena; untamed force: the violence of a tornado.
4. Abusive or unjust exercise of power.
5. Abuse or injury to meaning, content, or intent: do violence to a text.
6. Vehemence of feeling or expression; fervor.

Suicide may well be called 'violence against oneself', but unless you are invoking Suicide By Police which necessitates acting violently to others or things such as suicide bombing, IRC's definition does not stand.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
12-12-2013, 08:49 AM
(12-12-2013 02:06 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(12-12-2013 01:49 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I think maybe Lion was referring to the people left behind after. Yes the person who commits suicide was probably seriously depressed. The people, the family go through their own suffering, in the aftermath.

It's not violence as IRC stipulated:
vi·o·lence (v-lns)
n.
1. Physical force exerted for the purpose of violating, damaging, or abusing: crimes of violence.
2. The act or an instance of violent action or behavior.
3. Intensity or severity, as in natural phenomena; untamed force: the violence of a tornado.
4. Abusive or unjust exercise of power.
5. Abuse or injury to meaning, content, or intent: do violence to a text.
6. Vehemence of feeling or expression; fervor.

Suicide may well be called 'violence against oneself', but unless you are invoking Suicide By Police which necessitates acting violently to others or things such as suicide bombing, IRC's definition does not stand.

It's almost always a plea for help and/or attention, OR a short-term act which is seen by the person attempting, as the ONLY way out, of an excruciating painful situation, with no other viable option in sight. Violence has NOTHING to do with it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Suicide bombing on Isreal tourists... Filox 18 593 20-07-2012 03:56 AM
Last Post: Filox
  Rick Santorum -Rant NeonMoment 11 1,072 08-03-2012 12:12 AM
Last Post: Dunhill808
Sad Assisted suicide advocate Doctor Jack Kevorkian dies at 83 GassyKitten 2 432 28-10-2011 10:41 PM
Last Post: Karl
  Slick Rick monkeyshine89 20 1,902 28-07-2011 11:44 PM
Last Post: LarryT
Exclamation Suicide bomber strikes at top NATO, Afghan leaders GassyKitten 0 253 28-05-2011 03:27 PM
Last Post: GassyKitten