Rick and Morty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2017, 03:03 AM
RE: Rick and Morty
Rick and Morty is AWESOME.

I really can't stress it enough how good it is. I've watched the first two seasons probably 10 times, and have seen the latest episode as well, ("Right...I've gotta go take a shit"), and I have new favorite episodes every time.

For any one of the fence, I recommend "Total Rick-all" as it was the first episode I saw, and sums up the entire thing perfectly.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like OakTree500's post
07-06-2017, 06:17 AM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2017 06:20 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(06-06-2017 04:47 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  I don't inherently disagree on your take with values, though I would argue that all values lack objectivity. Absurdism points out the fact that human beings will try to find value in the absurd where there is no real meaning to find. Therefore, I don't really think that nihilism falls apart when addressing personal values because they really don't mean anything outside of the societal (which is subjective, or a precept to our own biological nature as social animal) or the empathetic.

The personification of the universe is completely metaphorical, I would like to add. People look to enrich their lives in some way, but for what purpose when there is no end result, no end goal? That is all that was meant.

For the sake of understanding your argument I would like to sincerely ask you if you think that existence proceeds essence? Also, I might ask what philosophical arguments you adhere to yourself as I think you are a very smart individual and I'm curious. Smile

Actually it looks like you do disagree with me about values, because I maintain that values (not all values) can be objective. They can relate directly to our human needs, which are themselves objective. Even our desires, above and beyond our needs, can be objective in this sense when related to larger issues. In other words, values are not just subjective or societal, but are better conceived as relative to specific humans and their societies. For instance, I may not speak French, but I assume French people have to eat just like I do, and speaking French to achieve this goal is a relative means to an objective end.

Similarly, just because there is no absolute purpose of life in the universe does not mean there are not any relative purposes. In fact, there are so many relative purposes that we struggle to fulfill them every day.

I don't understand your question about "existence proceeding essence." I don't think in terms of essence at all, so you will have to explain what you mean.

As far as Rick and Morty are concerned, another less philosophical way to say what I did is that I find the humor too mean-spirited, dismissive, and cynical, so I don't think I would enjoy it -- even though I enjoy animation in general. I have the same problems with Family Guy, Futurama, and even The Simpsons.
07-06-2017, 08:28 AM
I think you're looking at it a bit too much to be honest...It's just a fun cartoon with no hidden meaning of any kind (despite several hundred videos on the matter )

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
07-06-2017, 08:33 AM
(07-06-2017 08:28 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  I think you're looking at it a bit too much to be honest...It's just a fun cartoon with no hidden meaning of any kind (despite several hundred videos on the matter )

Any artform with a consistent and relentlessly repeated point of view has a meaning, even if that meaning is paradoxically to deny meaning.
07-06-2017, 08:42 AM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2017 08:53 AM by OakTree500.)
(07-06-2017 08:33 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(07-06-2017 08:28 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  I think you're looking at it a bit too much to be honest...It's just a fun cartoon with no hidden meaning of any kind (despite several hundred videos on the matter )

Any artform with a consistent and relentlessly repeated point of view has a meaning, even if that meaning is paradoxically to deny meaning.
Or...Or....It's just a cartoon, so don't think about it so much? Big Grin

If you don't like it or can't get past whatever, then that's cool. For me, it's simple fun about a crazy scientist and his grandson getting into crazy sci-fi adventures, and that's it.

It makes me laugh, so I'm not looking for deeper meanings or anything else like that. Smile

[+] 3 users Like OakTree500's post
07-06-2017, 08:44 AM
I'd never heard of Rick and Morty until I saw this thread, so I'll see if I can find a few episodes somewhere. Thanks for the tip!
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
07-06-2017, 10:08 AM
(07-06-2017 08:42 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  For me, it's simple fun about a crazy scientist and his grandson getting into crazy sci-fi adventures, and that's it.

If that were it, I would likely enjoy it too.

Hobo
07-06-2017, 01:57 PM
I don't think I'd say Rick and Morty has no meaning. There are some episodes that get pretty deep at times, it's awesome. I love that part of it. Goofy and extremely silly and vulgar, but then it also makes you think sometimes. It's excellent. I like having my core beliefs challenged. I like having to seriously ponder and dwell on these things, and Rick and Morty make me sometimes.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
08-06-2017, 05:31 AM
I saw the 1st episode of 3rd season, but it so long to wait ofr another one Sad
08-06-2017, 11:44 AM
It's on Netflix for those in the UK.

I wouldn't worry about the philosophy of the show spoiling the enjoyment. It's only an interpretation of some of the character motivations and such. It's just crammed with so much stupidity (in an intelligent way Tongue ), carnage and great ideas that it's unbelievable fun.

My favourite is interdimensional cable 2... man, some of the skits just stick in my brain and never stop being funny! Octopus man, haha! The eye-hole man! I just find myself saying all that stuff to myself when I'm out.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post