Ricky Gervais

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2010, 02:38 PM

Ricky Gervais
Ricky Gervais, a very funny man, is an atheist, in case you didn't know, and he wrote a defense of his atheism in of all places, the Wall Street Journal. Thought I'd bring it up.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/12/1...n-atheist/
Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2010, 03:14 PM
RE: Ricky Gervais
Ricky has never lost the game.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2010, 04:08 PM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2010 04:18 PM by TheSixthGlass.)
That was a fantastic little piece. Thanks!

edit: And a lot of those comments are really just sad, as well as ridiculous.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
21-12-2010, 09:46 AM

That was woderful! Wish I could hear him read it though I love the way he speaks.
21-12-2010, 10:01 AM
I love Gervais. Funny and as it turns out very smart. Sadly, I know too many atheists who are atheists just to spite their parents, or because they think it'll make them seem bad ass. When they are pushed to defend their atheism, they typically go for 'I hate god, what did he do for me?', or something stupid like that. I'm glad Gervais is intelligent and can put together a real explanation for atheism, and I like how he doesn't try to rub it in their faces.

For anyone in the mood to laugh, here's links to his bit about the bible. Part one and part two.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
22-12-2010, 07:48 PM

The article was better than I expected it to be and echoed most of my thoughts too.

His Q&A on the article was quite good too: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/12/2...questions/
25-12-2010, 08:13 PM
(20-12-2010 03:14 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Ricky has never lost the game.

Thank you. So much. [/sarcasm] Tongue

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-12-2010, 10:03 AM
(22-12-2010 07:48 PM)ZombieYoshi Wrote:  The article was better than I expected it to be and echoed most of my thoughts too.

His Q&A on the article was quite good too: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/12/2...questions/

Yes, it was.

And people say atheists have no feelings - that question that he answers by talking about his mom (and Disney's The Jungle Book, no less) is just beautiful.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
28-12-2010, 05:14 PM

I like Gervais. Funny as he is very intelligent. Unfortunately I know many atheists who are atheists simply to irritate their parents, or because they think they'll look bad ass. When pushed to defend his atheism, usually ranging from "hate God, what did he do for me?" Or something stupid like that. I'm glad Gervais is smart and can develop a true explanation of atheism, and I like the way it is not trying to rub in their faces.
02-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Just curious, has anyone else seen Gervais' movie, "The invention of lying"?

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!