Ricky Gervais makes a great point while talking to Dawkins

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Ricky Gervais makes a great point while talking to Dawkins
Many of you have probably seen this, but for anyone who hasn't:

At 11:05 - Ricky: "I'm an atheist. I don't believe in about 2,700 gods. Christians don't believe in 2,699. So they're nearly as atheistic as me. As a percentage, they're right up there. They're very nearly an atheist."

Good discussion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like fuckingpowerful's post
18-06-2013, 01:36 PM

RE: Ricky Gervais makes a great point while talking to Dawkins
(18-06-2013 12:30 PM)fuckingpowerful Wrote:  Many of you have probably seen this, but for anyone who hasn't:

At 11:05 - Ricky: "I'm an atheist. I don't believe in about 2,700 gods. Christians don't believe in 2,699. So they're nearly as atheistic as me. As a percentage, they're right up there. They're very nearly an atheist."

Good discussion.

The writers of the Bible, the early Christians and Jews for that matter were henotheistic.
Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2013, 01:46 PM
(18-06-2013 01:36 PM)David Lee Wrote:  
(18-06-2013 12:30 PM)fuckingpowerful Wrote:  Many of you have probably seen this, but for anyone who hasn't:

Good discussion.

The writers of the Bible, the early Christians and Jews for that matter were henotheistic.
so what changed their mind?
18-06-2013, 01:52 PM
(18-06-2013 01:36 PM)David Lee Wrote:  
(18-06-2013 12:30 PM)fuckingpowerful Wrote:  At 11:05 - Ricky: "I'm an atheist. I don't believe in about 2,700 gods. Christians don't believe in 2,699. So they're nearly as atheistic as me. As a percentage, they're right up there. They're very nearly an atheist."

I'm pretty sure Ricky Gervais is alive today, not thousands of years ago when jewish people were henotheistic. I can say random facts too! Ancient Chinese practiced ancestor worship. What in the fuck do either of those facts have to do with this video?

Second random fact...you don't know what millenium we currently live in.

18-06-2013, 02:03 PM

(18-06-2013 01:46 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  so what changed their mind?

Nothing changed their minds, the belief system, like all belief systems and all endeavors of mankind, became "monotheistic." Modern day Christianity consists almost entirely of pagan teachings. Immortal soul from Socrates, Trinity from Plato, Cross from Constantine, Hell from Milton and Dante, Easter from Astarte, Christmas from winter solstice cellebrations, and the rapture from Darby.

The Bible, the early believers, Jew and Christian, didn't buy into any of it, at least at first. Greek philosophy began to infiltrate the Jewish teachings about the time of Alexander the Great. (Painting below: Alexander The Great In The Temple Of Jerusalem, by Sebastiano Conca: c. 1750)

[Image: gallery87.jpg]
18-06-2013, 02:22 PM
(18-06-2013 01:52 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  I'm pretty sure Ricky Gervais is alive today, not thousands of years ago when jewish people were henotheistic. I can say random facts too! Ancient Chinese practiced ancestor worship. What in the fuck do either of those facts have to do with this video?

Second random fact...you don't know what millenium we currently live in.

OH - this needs to be repeated until it's clearly understood. Thumbsup
STOP CONFLATING TIME PERIODS. PERIOD.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
18-06-2013, 02:33 PM
(18-06-2013 02:03 PM)David Lee Wrote:  
(18-06-2013 01:46 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  so what changed their mind?

Nothing changed their minds, the belief system, like all belief systems and all endeavors of mankind, became "monotheistic." Modern day Christianity consists almost entirely of pagan teachings. Immortal soul from Socrates, Trinity from Plato, Cross from Constantine, Hell from Milton and Dante, Easter from Astarte, Christmas from winter solstice cellebrations, and the rapture from Darby.

The Bible, the early believers, Jew and Christian, didn't buy into any of it, at least at first. Greek philosophy began to infiltrate the Jewish teachings about the time of Alexander the Great. (Painting below: Alexander The Great In The Temple Of Jerusalem, by Sebastiano Conca: c. 1750)

Can you please explain what any of this has to do with the video? Unless you, yourself, worship one god but leave a door open for others.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

18-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Quote:The writers of the Bible, the early Christians and Jews for that matter were henotheistic.

You have scriptures or Talmud on these things? Apocrypha, maybe. The acknowledgement of foreign "gods" is not true henotheism but an acknowledgment of cultural reality. Both testaments describe that other gods are not really deities at all.

However, Gervais is right. Born again Christians are closer to Atheists than other people groups, since we say Islam, Hinduism, etc. is meaningless except in the promotion of original creation or monotheism, etc.
18-06-2013, 02:39 PM

(18-06-2013 02:33 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(18-06-2013 02:03 PM)David Lee Wrote:  Nothing changed their minds, the belief system, like all belief systems and all endeavors of mankind, became "monotheistic." Modern day Christianity consists almost entirely of pagan teachings. Immortal soul from Socrates, Trinity from Plato, Cross from Constantine, Hell from Milton and Dante, Easter from Astarte, Christmas from winter solstice cellebrations, and the rapture from Darby.

Can you please explain what any of this has to do with the video? Unless you, yourself, worship one god but leave a door open for others.

Heavy G said that Christians believe in only one more God than him, which is, at least in part, true, but not according to the Bible and about 10 million Christians who haven't adopted pagan myth as their belief system in the name of Christ.

I'm sorry if I tromped on the whimsy with facts but the idiot atheist could have just ignored them like they always do.
18-06-2013, 02:50 PM

(18-06-2013 02:35 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  You have scriptures or Talmud on these things? Apocrypha, maybe. The acknowledgement of foreign "gods" is not true henotheism but an acknowledgment of cultural reality. Both testaments describe that other gods are not really deities at all.

However, Gervais is right. Born again Christians are closer to Atheists than other people groups, since we say Islam, Hinduism, etc. is meaningless except in the promotion of original creation or monotheism, etc.

To the writers of the Bible the word god meant anyone or anything that was mighty or venerated. So the angels, the Judges of Israel, and Moses for example, were gods. Psalm 8:5 / Hebrews 2:6-8 / Psalm 82:1, 6 / John 10:34-35 / Exodus 4:16; 7:1.