Ricky Gervais makes a great point while talking to Dawkins

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2013, 03:35 PM
RE: Ricky Gervais makes a great point while talking to Dawkins
So guys, how about that video, huh? You know, the one at the top of the thread....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes fuckingpowerful's post
18-06-2013, 04:01 PM

(18-06-2013 03:35 PM)fuckingpowerful Wrote:  So guys, how about that video, huh? You know, the one at the top of the thread....

Two arrogant atheist who know almost nothing about God get together, in what is that, a church? and talk about something they don't believe in may entertain and fascinate you but it bored the tits right off me. I left when they started to say that if Christians were born elsewhere they would believe in another god. Who cares? So would they. My parents were atheists. I was atheist most of my life.
Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2013, 04:05 PM
(18-06-2013 03:35 PM)fuckingpowerful Wrote:  So guys, how about that video, huh? You know, the one at the top of the thread....

Naaah... just let 'em go; they'll either jack each other off or kill each other... probably both. Dodgy

I saw this recently and love it! My audible.com book club offers interviews and discussions and they have one where Richard interviews Ricky for about an hour - this might be from that interview. Hmm, I might have to use a credit - or just wait for a free-bee sale. Wink

Yea - with so many gods, they can't all be the "one true god", as so many of the different ones claim.

The thing is, it's only a god because someone else tells me that it is. I say it's not but, only for me. Someone's always got to be a domineering, control freak. Shy

In other words, a total bitch.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
18-06-2013, 04:33 PM
(18-06-2013 04:01 PM)David Lee Wrote:  

Two arrogant atheist who know almost nothing about God get together, in what is that, a church? and talk about something they don't believe in may entertain and fascinate you but it bored the tits right off me. I left when they started to say that if Christians were born elsewhere they would believe in another god. Who cares? So would they. My parents were atheists. I was atheist most of my life.

There is nothing to know about God since there is no evidence that God exists.

It's all made up. Henotheism, monotheism, pantheism, polytheism - all made up.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
18-06-2013, 04:37 PM
(18-06-2013 04:01 PM)David Lee Wrote:  Two arrogant atheist who know almost nothing about God get together, in what is that, a church? and talk about something they don't believe in may entertain and fascinate you but it bored the tits right off me.

Check the URL of this site to see why people might be interested in that video (sorry to hear about your tits, by the way).

(18-06-2013 04:01 PM)David Lee Wrote:  Who cares?

I care. The fact that location and culture influence belief, among other things, is worth noting. It would be more interesting if everyone on this planet consistently gravitated to a single religion. They don't.

Try not to get any troll food on that sock of yours.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 2 users Like guitar_nut's post
18-06-2013, 08:54 PM
(18-06-2013 04:01 PM)David Lee Wrote:  

I had an acquaintance tell me that once. That their parents were atheists and they were too. I later found out they got the idea from watching a Kirk Cameron video. Guess they believed it made them seem more credible.

Having said that...

Shoo fly

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-06-2013, 08:17 AM
(18-06-2013 08:54 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I had an acquaintance tell me that once. That their parents were atheists and they were too. I later found out they got the idea from watching a Kirk Cameron video. Guess they believed it made them seem more credible.

Having said that...

Shoo fly

It's also Lee Strobel's tactic. . . . . . . and it is rather absurd, of course. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes DeavonReye's post
19-06-2013, 08:56 AM

I rather liked it, as they sat there lounging lazily in their chairs chain-smoking cigarettes while discussing plans to conquer theism one DE-conversion at a time as the sound guy tried desperately to keep the banging of the basement door of the locked-in priest from being captured by his mic...

Laughat

I like how Gervais put it, how religion infringes on people liberties but spirituality doesn't. That's the puzzle piece for me in why I am not anti-theist.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
19-06-2013, 09:54 AM

(19-06-2013 08:17 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  
(18-06-2013 08:54 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I had an acquaintance tell me that once. That their parents were atheists and they were too. I later found out they got the idea from watching a Kirk Cameron video. Guess they believed it made them seem more credible.

Having said that...

Shoo fly

It's also Lee Strobel's tactic. . . . . . . and it is rather absurd, of course. Thumbsup

But . . . all those people were atheists. I don't understand why atheists get so upset when an atheist becomes a theist. You would think they left your church or something.
Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2013, 10:02 AM
(19-06-2013 09:54 AM)David Lee Wrote:  But . . . all those people were atheists. I don't understand why atheists get so upset when an atheist becomes a theist. You would think they left your church or something.

They may have claimed to be "an atheist", . . . but in reality they [most likely] were just indifferent to the topic. They "didn't believe in god" because it wasn't a part of their life. But they were STILL fooled by the NON-evidence of religion because it may have "felt good in their spirit".

Regardless, if you don't bother being skeptical . . . and just fall for anything because it makes you feel good, so what if you "claim atheism but then find god". It is no different than . . . just switching religions.

Any TRUE atheist cannot "just accept" christianity, . . . given what is now known about it. If they do, . . . they do so with credulity.