Ricky Gervais makes a great point while talking to Dawkins

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2013, 10:14 AM
RE: Ricky Gervais makes a great point while talking to Dawkins
(19-06-2013 09:54 AM)David Lee Wrote:  
(19-06-2013 08:17 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  It's also Lee Strobel's tactic. . . . . . . and it is rather absurd, of course. Thumbsup

But . . . all those people were atheists. I don't understand why atheists get so upset when an atheist becomes a theist. You would think they left your church or something.

I don't believe Kirk Cameron was ever an atheist (he might have been a more apathetic agnotic) Not being exposed to religion as a child, like he claims, is not the same as making an informed decision. What Kirk describes is more of religious apathy, than actual atheism.

Let's not forget he also claims to "know all about evolution." also. He was a child actor who converted as a young adult -- while still on his sitcom.

But to people of his ilk it sounds better to say, "I used to be an atheist." than to actually say, I didn't know much about religion until...

'Atheist' is the buzz-word to which Christians glean hope for their own family mambers who they feel are just "confused" or in "rebellion" and negates the many who arrive at atheism from thoughtful reason and questioning.

Shoo fly!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2013, 10:16 AM
(19-06-2013 09:54 AM)David Lee Wrote:  But . . . all those people were atheists. I don't understand why atheists get so upset when an atheist becomes a theist. You would think they left your church or something.

It's not upsetting. People change their minds. I don't care when people change from one religion to another, believe, stop believing, start believing again... it's all a personal journey. What's upsetting is hearing an adult say things like "The banana was obviously designed for humans by a creator. Look how well it fits into my hand." Or my favorite, "What is evolution's goal?"

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 2 users Like guitar_nut's post
19-06-2013, 10:20 AM (This post was last modified: 19-06-2013 10:28 AM by KidCharlemagne1962.)
(19-06-2013 10:14 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(19-06-2013 09:54 AM)David Lee Wrote:  But . . . all those people were atheists. I don't understand why atheists get so upset when an atheist becomes a theist. You would think they left your church or something.

I don't believe Kirk Cameron was ever an atheist (he might have been a more apathetic agnotic) Not being exposed to religion as a child, like he claims, is not the same as making an informed decision. What Kirk describes is more of religious apathy, than actual atheism.

Let's not forget he also claims to "know all about evolution." also. He was a child actor who converted as a young adult -- while still on his sitcom.

But to people of his ilk it sounds better to say, "I used to be an atheist." than to actually say, I didn't know much about religion until...

'Atheist' is the buzz-word to which Christians glean hope for their own family mambers who they feel are just "confused" or in "rebellion" and negates the many who arrive at atheism from thoughtful reason and questioning.

Shoo fly!

Cameron claims to have been a "Devout Atheist" that is even better than us run of the mill Atheist.

He must fully understand evolution, he came up with the crocaduck...erm, well ok, maybe he doesn't Drinking Beverage

In any case theist you have been Shoo'dBig Grin

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
19-06-2013, 10:31 AM
Re: RE: Ricky Gervais makes a great point while talking to Dawkins
(18-06-2013 01:36 PM)David Lee Wrote:  
(18-06-2013 12:30 PM)fuckingpowerful Wrote:  Many of you have probably seen this, but for anyone who hasn't:

At 11:05 - Ricky: "I'm an atheist. I don't believe in about 2,700 gods. Christians don't believe in 2,699. So they're nearly as atheistic as me. As a percentage, they're right up there. They're very nearly an atheist."

Good discussion.

The writers of the Bible, the early Christians and Jews for that matter were henotheistic.

When he said Christians... He wasn't talking about the early Christians. You seem to be responding as if he was.

Ricky is alive first yes, and talking about Christians who are alive today

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
19-06-2013, 10:31 AM
(19-06-2013 10:20 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  
(19-06-2013 10:14 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I don't believe Kirk Cameron was ever an atheist (he might have been a more apathetic agnotic) Not being exposed to religion as a child, like he claims, is not the same as making an informed decision. What Kirk describes is more of religious apathy, than actual atheism.

Shoo fly!

Cameron claims to have been a "Devout Atheist" that is even better than us run of the mill Atheist.

He must fully understand evolution, he came up with the crocaduck...erm, well ok, maybe he doesn't Drinking Beverage

In any case OP you have been Shoo'dBig Grin

It's true, devout atheist.. I forgot that. He's said that in a few interviews and in his videos. Like I said I have a hard time believing it. It's doubtful a really 'devout' atheist could be so easily swayed into becoming a YEC.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-06-2013, 10:36 AM
(18-06-2013 03:35 PM)fuckingpowerful Wrote:  So guys, how about that video, huh? You know, the one at the top of the thread....

I thought it was good. I don't think there was anything surprising revealed tho. Smile

But sincere thanks for sharing it. Thumbsup

19-06-2013, 11:30 AM

I couldn't care even slightly about an atheist becoming a theist. What someone else does has nothing to do with me. I want people to be locked in their little churches (if so inclined) and stay way the hell away from me.

A majority of theists who come here, are often considered even by their own group of theists to be fanatical, obsessive, and extremist.

Theist extremists seem unwilling or are simply unable to drop their delusion enough to realize that their delusion is not only unnecessary, it is destructive and regressive. If a theist isn't provided with sufficient rabble to incite and enact mayhem, they will create any perception of it they can. Theist extremists troll the web in search of what they perceive to be tall, secular structures.

Theists just don't get that there's nothing to knock down, that is not inside their own mind. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
19-06-2013, 06:54 PM

(19-06-2013 10:02 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  They may have claimed to be "an atheist", . . . but in reality they [most likely] were just indifferent to the topic. They "didn't believe in god" because it wasn't a part of their life. But they were STILL fooled by the NON-evidence of religion because it may have "felt good in their spirit".

Regardless, if you don't bother being skeptical . . . and just fall for anything because it makes you feel good, so what if you "claim atheism but then find god". It is no different than . . . just switching religions.

Any TRUE atheist cannot "just accept" christianity, . . . given what is now known about it. If they do, . . . they do so with credulity.

I was raised in a small town in Indiana, surrounded by religious people. My mom had been raised religious and rejected the hypocrisy of it, my dad came from a family that were against God and religion. They saw it as the bullshit it is. I hated Christians, the only religious type I was aware of. Their smug, self-righteous, false sense of moral superiority based upon a lie. The way they had, at the time, in the '70's, appointed themselves moral police of the globe and looked down on anyone who wasn't one of them. I hated them so much I wanted to find out as much about them as I could so I could put them in their place.

When I began to carefully study the Bible I began to see how they had used it, misrepresented it, distorted it's meaning with their apostate pagan influenced tradition. All for the sake of a false self interest. I dislike them even more.

But I see, more and more, the religious nature of militant atheism transmogrifying into the same mindset. My -8 reputation after 3 days of posting here is a sort of badge of honor.

Careful you don't become your enemy. It is inevitable.
Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2013, 07:05 PM
(19-06-2013 06:54 PM)David Lee Wrote:  But I see, more and more, the religious nature of militant atheism transmogrifying into the same mindset. My -8 reputation after 3 days of posting here is a sort of badge of honor.

Rep is crap. Tongue

But I don't get this "true atheist" bullshit, either. If atheism is merely "lack of belief," then not thinking about it surely indicates not believing in it.

Although I figure there's a knee-jerk reaction going on where many atheists do not want to associate with religiosity in any way, shape or form.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-06-2013, 07:12 PM
(19-06-2013 07:05 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(19-06-2013 06:54 PM)David Lee Wrote:  But I see, more and more, the religious nature of militant atheism transmogrifying into the same mindset. My -8 reputation after 3 days of posting here is a sort of badge of honor.

Rep is crap. Tongue

But I don't get this "true atheist" bullshit, either. If atheism is merely "lack of belief," then not thinking about it surely indicates not believing in it.

Although I figure there's a knee-jerk reaction going on where many atheists do not want to associate with religiosity in any way, shape or form.

People equate being an atheist with being a skeptic. They are not the same thing though generally speaking all skeptics are atheists not all atheists are skeptics.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense