Ricky Gervais makes a great point while talking to Dawkins

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2013, 08:07 PM
RE: Ricky Gervais makes a great point while talking to Dawkins
I have always disliked the argument that I disbelieve in 2699 gods vs an atheist who believes in 2700.

The main reason is that I don't think there are that many different types of God. Mainly that just because you call something a God and worship it does not make it a God.

The way I see it there are only a few types of God

There is the highly personal God who has given us freewill (which is found in the Judeo Christian)

Hindu is somewhat in between impersonal and personal in that the main God is sort of impersonal and all the variations are personal interpretations. (Okay I'm actually pretty sure that is wrong but that's how the Canadian school system teaches it, so fuck it Tongue )

Deism or the watchmaker God is another variation

Then there is Islam and Calvinism which is a personal God without free will.

In the same respect there are also multiple forms of Atheism.

There is Material reductionism

And the only other one is a combination of Material and Spiritual concepts similar to the Greek philosophers.

Of course there is also brain is in a jar (reality is our imagination) people who I suppose could qualify as atheists.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2013, 08:16 PM
(19-06-2013 08:07 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Mainly that just because you call something a God and worship it does not make it a God.

This children is what we call unintentional humor or "Pulling a Purple Rain"

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
19-06-2013, 08:30 PM

(19-06-2013 07:05 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(19-06-2013 06:54 PM)David Lee Wrote:  But I see, more and more, the religious nature of militant atheism transmogrifying into the same mindset. My -8 reputation after 3 days of posting here is a sort of badge of honor.

Rep is crap. Tongue

But I don't get this "true atheist" bullshit, either. If atheism is merely "lack of belief," then not thinking about it surely indicates not believing in it.

Although I figure there's a knee-jerk reaction going on where many atheists do not want to associate with religiosity in any way, shape or form.

Although I think it is an emotional sort of reaction like a knee-jerk, it is becoming more contrived in nature. Any group of like minded individuals has that sort of mob mentality. There certainly needn't be anything organized about that. And the "militant" Atheist are far from organized.

I think it is about control. Groups of people want everyone else to think like them. The old Christian witches who had the upper hand in society when I was a kid have been replaced by their bitter prodigal children.
Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2013, 08:34 PM

(19-06-2013 08:16 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(19-06-2013 08:07 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Mainly that just because you call something a God and worship it does not make it a God.

This children is what we call unintentional humor or "Pulling a Purple Rain"

Be that as it may, it was also an incorrect statement. A God is only something you call a God or worship. The Grand Creator, Jehovah didn't start out as a God to the people, he became their God. The word god simply means mighty and/or venerated.
19-06-2013, 08:51 PM

(19-06-2013 07:12 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  People equate being an atheist with being a skeptic. They are not the same thing though generally speaking all skeptics are atheists not all atheists are skeptics.

I consider myself very skeptical and certainly not atheist.
19-06-2013, 08:54 PM
(19-06-2013 08:51 PM)David Lee Wrote:  
(19-06-2013 07:12 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  People equate being an atheist with being a skeptic. They are not the same thing though generally speaking all skeptics are atheists not all atheists are skeptics.

Replace all with most, as that is more accurate.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
19-06-2013, 08:58 PM
(19-06-2013 08:07 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  ...an atheist who believes in 2700.

Hey! I don't believe in twenty-seven hundred gods! Tongue

But those aren't really arguments, they're sound bites.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
19-06-2013, 09:03 PM
(19-06-2013 08:51 PM)David Lee Wrote:  

I don't consider you skeptical at all -- you're just another apologist.
Shoo fly

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

19-06-2013, 09:18 PM

(19-06-2013 09:03 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(19-06-2013 08:51 PM)David Lee Wrote:  I consider myself very skeptical and certainly not atheist.

I don't consider you skeptical at all -- you're just another apologist.
Shoo fly

Well, I don't know you very well, but I suspect you don't know me either. I consider you just another idiot atheist with no substance.
Go fuck yourself.
19-06-2013, 09:30 PM
(19-06-2013 09:18 PM)David Lee Wrote:  
(19-06-2013 09:03 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I don't consider you skeptical at all -- you're just another apologist.
Shoo fly

Well, I don't know you very well, but I suspect you don't know me either. I consider you just another idiot atheist with no substance.
Go fuck yourself.

Spoken like a true theist. Thumbsup

I've read your posts and I've heard it all before many times.

Shoo fly

(you're not worth the extra taps to neg rep you, nor are your worthy my time to reply to)

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post