Ricky Gervais makes a great point while talking to Dawkins

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2013, 07:57 AM
RE: Ricky Gervais makes a great point while talking to Dawkins
(20-06-2013 07:42 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  FFS please keep the discussion on track. Anybody else know what this thread is about? No, 'cause it's got shit all over it. Dodgy

It's about unlubricated horsecock. Big Grin

Actually it's about this fuckin n00b who thinks "Christians are atheistic about 2699 other gods" is a brilliant insight. It's not. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
20-06-2013, 08:07 AM
(20-06-2013 07:57 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(20-06-2013 07:42 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  FFS please keep the discussion on track. Anybody else know what this thread is about? No, 'cause it's got shit all over it. Dodgy

It's about unlubricated horsecock. Big Grin

Actually it's about this fuckin n00b who thinks "Christians are atheistic about 2699 other gods" is a brilliant insight. It's not. Tongue

Says you. Tongue

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
20-06-2013, 08:11 AM
(20-06-2013 08:07 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(20-06-2013 07:57 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  It's about unlubricated horsecock. Big Grin

Says you. Tongue

The avatar gives it away... Dodgy

20-06-2013, 08:34 AM
Because I got neck, lemme clarify my objections...

Atheism is not an independent position. "Lack of belief in god" in a context of "god does not exist" is redundant and ludicrous. As an American, the context is more along the lines of "lack of belief in omnigod;" and in the context of community, it is not "god does not exist," but rather, "there is no compelling evidence for god's existence." Which reduces the equation to - the theist believes in one god, the atheist lacks a belief in one god. So it is not even 1 and 0, it is 1 and not-1.

And besides, no one "believes in 2700 gods," which is the hidden assumption. There is pantheon, where the theist believes in the god or group of gods dictated by his religion. And where the fuck they come up with "2700?" Fucking Hindus got like three million gods... Dodgy

Now, I like Dawkins, but he is pretty fucking ignorant about theology - which I only state, being a prophet. For a man of science such as Dawkins, it's prolly a non-existent non-issue.

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
20-06-2013, 10:53 AM

(20-06-2013 07:18 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  David Lee, . . . I haven't seen many of your posts, but assumed you were just the basic style of christian. But the "go fuck yourself" [and other things you've recently posted] has me wondering what your true beliefs are.

I was Assemblies of God for MANY years. They are considered to be a "bible believing denomination". At that time in my life, I would have never even remotely considered telling someone to "go fuck yourself". I would now! :-) But anyway, . . . what exactly IS it that you see as "wrong" in traditional christianity that you are "getting right"?

Hello, Deavon.

First of all, I'm not a Christian. I have never been and never will be a part of any organized religion. As for the profanity, I was raised an atheist and my parents, even at a very young age, as soon as I could talk, in fact, taught me at least in practice that there were no obscene words. Words are words. They used the words deemed obscene and so allowed us kids to use them.

You have to understand that Christianity for the most part, has adopted pagan teachings far removed from the Bible. In order for them to feel morally superior they have to create a new personality based upon a traditional and cultural pretense of that false morality. You can find words like "sonofabitch," "bastard," "piss," in various translations. And of course, "damn," "hell," and "ass."

Other words, like "shit" and "fuck" you can find in meaning as being used by Jesus, Jehovah, and other righteous people in the Bible. For example, the cross, which was a phallic symbol of fertility for the deified Sumerian King Tammuz had been carved in the walls of the temple where the women wept for him. It was called a filthy or dungy idol. You could translate those as shitty.

The English word fuck means literally "to throw down seed." It is a perfect translation of the Greek word katabole, which means literally "to throw down seed." Paul used it in application to Abraham and Sarah at Hebrews 11:11, but Jesus used it in terms of "before the founding of the world."

To demonstrate how both theists and atheists misunderstand the Bible, when the term "before the founding of the world" is used they wrongly take that to mean before the universe and planet Earth was created, but it isn't talking about the planet it is talking about the world of men. So, before the founding of the world when Jehovah made provisions for a Messiah to come and release mankind from sin was the time after Adam had sinned but before his throwing down of seed, the conception of their first child, who would be the first of the offspring of man leading to mankind. That's why Jesus refers to the blood of Abel.

I'm a Bible student and firm Believer without pretense. A former atheist turned theist, and my beliefs are most similar to that of Jehovah's Witnesses.

The Greek word for spirit is pneuma, from which comes the English word pneumonia, and pneumatic. It means any invisible force which produces results. For example, wind, breath, mental inclination. A mean spirited woman, for example, the spirit of a horse being broken.

Spirituality, then, is the stuff we don't see around us that influences or behavior and thinking, which is why from a spiritual perspective it is very important to be aware of those things and how they effect us. We may have been raised in a racist culture and not aware of why we think that way, or in a religious culture as well.

The most spiritual television program ever examines these sorts of things and makes you aware of them. Their take on profanity is given below. They happen to be atheist, by the way, you may recognize them?

Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2013, 11:35 AM

20-06-2013, 12:17 PM
Thanks for making that more clear, David.

Also, I like the Penn and Teller video. Seen it many times.
20-06-2013, 12:39 PM
(20-06-2013 02:37 AM)eksyte Wrote:  How is the statement any different from what Dawkins says here?

Both of them are right, but it's hardly a new point in the argument.

I think a much more profound point is how silly it is to think that the god of the Buybull is the same being that people believe authored DNA, physics, energy, matter, distant stars, black holes, planets and everything else, AND that knows me personally and one of its greatest concerns is where I stick my private parts. It seems to me that anyone who believes that thinks very low of their god. I also think that it's a lot more amazing to think that it's taken billions of years for man to come into existence rather than us just being magically spawned like a game of Halo.
Well it's different for a couple reasons. I like how Gervais put it in context more with numbers, and the whole thought seemed formulated and more calmy expressed than Dawkins' spur-of-the-moment (though epic) answer in that video you posted. Also, Gervais didn't invoke "the flying spaghetti monster" or anything, and so I think the way he presented that similar idea gave it a better chance of sinking to people who may be on the fence. Dawkins came across as kind of hostile in that video and so as enjoyable as that is for you or me to watch, anyone on the fence or on the outside would easily put up their defenses and ignore it.

I also never said the point was the most profound ever, and I didn't say it was new. I'm not sure how much new ground there is to cover in this debate, really... I said I wanted to share it for anyone who may not have heard it yet, or at the least heard it put the way Gervais did.

I agree with your point about DNA, physics, etc. but that's an easy concept to avoid for somebody still on the 'other' side.
[+] 1 user Likes fuckingpowerful's post
20-06-2013, 01:06 PM (This post was last modified: 20-06-2013 01:15 PM by cjlr.)
(20-06-2013 10:53 AM)David Lee Wrote:  The Greek word for spirit is pneuma, from which comes the English word pneumonia, and pneumatic. It means any invisible force which produces results. For example, wind, breath, mental inclination. A mean spirited woman, for example, the spirit of a horse being broken.

I don't know about that other stuff, but as for this?

Pneuma (or πνεῦμα, to get pretentious) means breath. It always meant breath. As in, the cycling of air that keeps one alive.

The spiritual meanings were secondary to and derived from the literal meaning - breath being invisible and insubstantial, it was used as a metaphor for animating spirit or inspiration - note both of those words (spirit, inspiration) ultimately derive from Latin spiro, to breathe, and are thus themselves products of the same metaphorical leap.

EDIT: saw this one too:
(20-06-2013 10:53 AM)David Lee Wrote:  The English word fuck means literally "to throw down seed." It is a perfect translation of the Greek word katabole, which means literally "to throw down seed." Paul used it in application to Abraham and Sarah at Hebrews 11:11, but Jesus used it in terms of "before the founding of the world."
Your Greek is better this time - catabolic (καταβολή) does in fact mean throwing down. 'Seed' doesn't enter into it, mind (except, at a stretch, in context). But fuck? Fuck no! Fuck means literally to strick or thrust. That's it. That's the etymology.
20-06-2013, 01:16 PM

(20-06-2013 01:06 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(20-06-2013 10:53 AM)David Lee Wrote:  The Greek word for spirit is pneuma, from which comes the English word pneumonia, and pneumatic. It means any invisible force which produces results. For example, wind, breath, mental inclination. A mean spirited woman, for example, the spirit of a horse being broken.

I don't know about that other stuff, but as for this?

Pneuma (or πνεῦμα, to get pretentious) means breath. It always meant breath. As in, the cycling of air that keeps one alive.

The spiritual meanings were secondary to and derived from the literal meaning - breath being invisible and insubstantial, it was used as a metaphor for animating spirit or inspiration - note both of those words (spirit, inspiration) ultimately derive from Latin spiro, to breathe, and are thus themselves products of the same metaphorical leap.

I don't understand how what you said would disagree with what I said. Regarding either the Hebrew ruach and the Greek and the Latin.
Quote this message in a reply