Ricky Gervais makes a great point while talking to Dawkins

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2013, 02:03 PM
RE: Ricky Gervais makes a great point while talking to Dawkins
(20-06-2013 01:16 PM)David Lee Wrote:  I don't understand how what you said would disagree with what I said. Regarding either the Hebrew ruach and the Greek and the Latin.

Well,

(20-06-2013 10:53 AM)David Lee Wrote:  The English word fuck means literally "to throw down seed."
(20-06-2013 10:53 AM)David Lee Wrote:  The Greek word ... pneuma ... means any invisible force which produces results.
Those are not true statements.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2013, 04:56 PM
(19-06-2013 08:34 PM)David Lee Wrote:  
(19-06-2013 08:16 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  This children is what we call unintentional humor or "Pulling a Purple Rain"

Be that as it may, it was also an incorrect statement. A God is only something you call a God or worship. The Grand Creator, Jehovah didn't start out as a God to the people, he became their God. The word god simply means mighty and/or venerated.

If that's true then there are no atheists. Everybody thinks something is mighty or venerated in some way.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
20-06-2013, 06:16 PM

(20-06-2013 02:03 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(20-06-2013 01:16 PM)David Lee Wrote:  I don't understand how what you said would disagree with what I said. Regarding either the Hebrew ruach and the Greek and the Latin.

Well,

(20-06-2013 10:53 AM)David Lee Wrote:  The English word fuck means literally "to throw down seed."
(20-06-2013 10:53 AM)David Lee Wrote:  The Greek word ... pneuma ... means any invisible force which produces results.
Those are not true statements.

Fuck isn't an easy word to trace the etymology of because of it's lack of usage. True, fuck is most often thought to have come from the Middle English fucken, to strike, move quickly, penetrate coming from the German ficken which means the same thing, or the Middle Dutch fokken, to strike or copulate with.

I had always heard that it meant to throw down. Like the Greek katabole. You are right, though, that was used in context. I should have put to throw down, as in seed. That's how it is used in the examples I gave.

I just disagree with you on pneuma. It is used for breath, wind, mental inclination, breeze, holy spirit (God's invisible active force) and spirit creatures. Invisible and capable of action. That is how the Hebrew ruach and the Greek word pneuma are used in the Bible.
Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2013, 06:19 PM

(20-06-2013 04:56 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(19-06-2013 08:34 PM)David Lee Wrote:  Be that as it may, it was also an incorrect statement. A God is only something you call a God or worship. The Grand Creator, Jehovah didn't start out as a God to the people, he became their God. The word god simply means mighty and/or venerated.

If that's true then there are no atheists. Everybody thinks something is mighty or venerated in some way.

Yep. The word god isn't that significant. People think that if you say "god damn" you are using "God's name" in vain. Which of course, you aren't. God isn't God's name no more than man is a man's name.
20-06-2013, 06:44 PM

[+] 2 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
20-06-2013, 09:49 PM
(20-06-2013 06:19 PM)David Lee Wrote:  
(20-06-2013 04:56 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  If that's true then there are no atheists. Everybody thinks something is mighty or venerated in some way.

Yep. The word god isn't that significant. People think that if you say "god damn" you are using "God's name" in vain. Which of course, you aren't. God isn't God's name no more than man is a man's name.

The truth is....

God is often conceived as the supreme being and principal object of faith.

Logically speaking there are many different definitions of which you chose one to look at. However because there are many definitions and interpretations of the god concept, each one of those concepts must be addressed.

I tend to think that if it's not a supreme being in the most religiously used sense, then it's not worthy of the title. Thus making all gods merely human inventions.

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
20-06-2013, 10:19 PM

(20-06-2013 09:49 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  The truth is....

Logically speaking there are many different definitions of which you chose one to look at. However because there are many definitions and interpretations of the god concept, each one of those concepts must be addressed.

I tend to think that if it's not a supreme being in the most religiously used sense, then it's not worthy of the title. Thus making all gods merely human inventions.

Isn't that contradictory? First you say "because there are many definitions and interpretations of the god concept, each one of those concepts must be addressed." And then you say "I tend to think that if it's not a supreme being in the most religiously used sense, then it's not worthy of the title."

I think that is a discussion primarily of a biblical nature we have to focus on what they thought of the word.
20-06-2013, 10:24 PM
(20-06-2013 10:19 PM)David Lee Wrote:  

Isn't that contradictory? First you say "because there are many definitions and interpretations of the god concept, each one of those concepts must be addressed." And then you say "I tend to think that if it's not a supreme being in the most religiously used sense, then it's not worthy of the title."

I think that is a discussion primarily of a biblical nature we have to focus on what they thought of the word.

For what reason? It's not the oldest, it's not the biggest and it's definitely not the only holy book. So why should we choose your book over anyone else's?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
20-06-2013, 10:29 PM (This post was last modified: 20-06-2013 10:50 PM by fstratzero.)
(20-06-2013 10:19 PM)David Lee Wrote:  

0/10 Troll logic.

First I addressed that the word god is used by many in different ways and has many definitions.

Second I offered my thoughts on the word. What I've seen it's primary use as, and why I think that use is incorrect.

Two separate subjects. (What the world does with the word, and what I think about the word) My reason for connecting the two?

Usually I argue against the supreme being idea. Any other definition to me, strikes me as useless, sense other words in the english language exist to describe the things people are calling god.

-Baron d'Holbach-
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
20-06-2013, 11:32 PM

(20-06-2013 10:24 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  For what reason? It's not the oldest, it's not the biggest and it's definitely not the only holy book. So why should we choose your book over anyone else's?

What other book claims divine inspiration?