Ricky Perry, Paula Kirby, and Richard Dawkins on evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Ricky Perry, Paula Kirby, and Richard Dawkins on evolution
There were recently a couple responses to Rick Perry's message that evolution is "just a theory", both in the Washington Post. Paula Kirby and Richard Dawkins both wrote good responses - nice reading for anyone interested in the debate.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
25-08-2011, 04:41 PM
RE: Ricky Perry, Paula Kirby, and Richard Dawkins on evolution
Would be nice if we lived in a fascist nation where idiots were treated as 2nd class and withheld breeding/voting rights.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes NotSoVacuous's post
25-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Such a bitch when those comfy, chunky christmas sweaters loose a stitch and fall apart. Must adopt a flannel onesie!

Evolution is a theory as much as my five senses are a theory.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
26-08-2011, 03:16 AM (This post was last modified: 26-08-2011 04:09 AM by Filox.)
(25-08-2011 04:41 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  Would be nice if we lived in a fascist nation where idiots were treated as 2nd class and withheld breeding/voting rights.

This statement does sound a bit harsh, but unfortunately, it has some truth in it. Not every aspect of fascism is bad...

P.S.

I love when religious persons stand up for evolution and explain things from religious point of view.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-f..._blog.html

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
26-08-2011, 09:09 AM
(26-08-2011 03:16 AM)Filox Wrote:  I love when religious persons stand up for evolution and explain things from religious point of view.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-f..._blog.html

Thanks for sharing that! I don't personally understand what a person of faith has for a foundation for belief if the bible isn't completely true, but I appreciate when they don't deny the truth for the sake of keeping that belief.

If the religious in this country wouldn't find the pursuit of knowledge, I think it would solve all the problems we have with them... but that's just my humble opinion.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
30-08-2011, 03:22 PM
I love how strongly and sharply Dawkins replies to BS. Big Grin

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like gaglamesh731's post
31-08-2011, 02:01 AM
Man, not to get too off topic, but I just can't figure out who to vote for in the 2012 election. Unless Ron Paul wins the republican nomination in which case I'm set. Both Perry and Bachman are just too stupid to vote for and I'm not a fan of what Obama has done economy wise.

Anyway, I liked the responses Dawkins and Kirby give! If only people who didn't already understand evolution would be able to read them and get something from it....I suppose in that sense I like Kirby's response more, Dawkins does tend to write on the assumption that his audience aren't complete morons, but you know complete morons are reading it and not understanding it and therefore just assuming its wrong. Or I guess what I'm trying to say is that Dawkins tends to write very sciency, nothing wrong with that, but it does tend to lose people.

"Ford! There's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out."
~Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
06-09-2011, 03:54 PM
(31-08-2011 02:01 AM)otaku_cj Wrote:  Man, not to get too off topic, but I just can't figure out who to vote for in the 2012 election. Unless Ron Paul wins the republican nomination in which case I'm set. Both Perry and Bachman are just too stupid to vote for and I'm not a fan of what Obama has done economy wise.

Obama's not such a bad guy (even though he's a Christian). I'd say - besides Ron Paul, whom I'd also vote for in a heartbeat - you could vote for Jon Huntsman. He's pro-life, but otherwise agrees with your average humanist. He's also a Mormon, but doesn't see his faith as incompatible with science, so he believes in evolution and global warming. Still, Ron Paul (despite being a baptist, *sigh*) has the best views, in my humble opinion.

08-09-2011, 10:33 AM
If Perry was ever elected President, his religion-influenced policies would set science and education back at least 20 years.
08-09-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm with Starcrasch on Huntsman. That's my pick right now, but he has little chance of getting through the crazies to win the nomination. If he doesn't get it, I'm going to write-in Alan Simpson from Wyoming.

I voted for Obama in 2008 and wouldn't vote for him again at gun point.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost