Ricky Perry, Paula Kirby, and Richard Dawkins on evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2011, 06:56 AM
RE: Ricky Perry, Paula Kirby, and Richard Dawkins on evolution
(08-09-2011 10:33 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  If Perry was ever elected President, his religion-influenced policies would set science and education back at least 20 years.

aka George Perry Bush
or G. P. H. W. Berry

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2011, 11:16 AM
(31-08-2011 02:01 AM)otaku_cj Wrote:  Man, not to get too off topic, but I just can't figure out who to vote for in the 2012 election. Unless Ron Paul wins the republican nomination in which case I'm set. Both Perry and Bachman are just too stupid to vote for and I'm not a fan of what Obama has done economy wise.

Yeh well...that's the problem with mr "we can do it." He's screwed up so badly. He seems to be missing some vital body part. such as his spine or testicles. But if you don't vote for him, you'll be voting for some total chucklehead who will happily take daddy's keys, take a swig, & hit the gas, not stopping until we reach the dark ages.

I heard on the radio yesterday, some guy said bachman & perry would be his dream ticket. another guy said bachman was incredibly intelligent & incredibly articulate. And I'm thinking, "our founding fathers worked tirelessly until slavery was abolished." I"m also thinking about a 3 day edict that everyone in the boundaries of a certain state stop what they are doing & plead with the loving god in the sky to please not turn them into a desert.

I don't have much hope for humans. It would have gone beter for us if we'd have topped out with making fire & catching the odd fish. We collectively need a stern grandmother's warning - you've gotten too big fer your britches. But it ain't gonna happen. Instead, someone will wote for bachman, god's historian, & perry, 'a chicken in every pot, after you sacrifice it. Or the guy with the magic underwear. Or some other sad offering of humanity's great worth.

Every time you say you don't believe, Jesus rips the wings off a fairy. - SkepticalParenting.com
18-09-2011, 03:19 PM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2011 03:24 PM by mysticjbyrd.)
(25-08-2011 04:41 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  Would be nice if we lived in a fascist nation where idiots were treated as 2nd class and withheld breeding/voting rights.

Sometimes I question whether that would be a good idea or not.
Having no natural predators, there is no way to get rid of the drift wood.

PS: Dont refer to it as a debate, that gives them the presumption that their side stands on equal footing.
12-10-2011, 08:58 PM
(06-09-2011 03:54 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(31-08-2011 02:01 AM)otaku_cj Wrote:  Man, not to get too off topic, but I just can't figure out who to vote for in the 2012 election. Unless Ron Paul wins the republican nomination in which case I'm set. Both Perry and Bachman are just too stupid to vote for and I'm not a fan of what Obama has done economy wise.

Obama's not such a bad guy (even though he's a Christian). I'd say - besides Ron Paul, whom I'd also vote for in a heartbeat - you could vote for Jon Huntsman. He's pro-life, but otherwise agrees with your average humanist. He's also a Mormon, but doesn't see his faith as incompatible with science, so he believes in evolution and global warming. Still, Ron Paul (despite being a baptist, *sigh*) has the best views, in my humble opinion.

I'll offer the argument that Obama is an Atheist for the following reasons:
1. Never attends church
2. His mother was an anthropologist and an open atheist
3. He only used the church in Chicago for political reasons
4. Often purposefully omits "under god" in the pledge
Food for thoughtDodgy
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
23-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Epic reply. Rick Perry = OWNED!

Dawkins is correct though unfortunately. In a nation of some of the brightest minds the world has ever known we elect morons like Bush to be our leader.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
23-11-2011, 06:28 PM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2011 06:32 PM by houseofcantor.)
(26-08-2011 03:16 AM)Filox Wrote:  
(25-08-2011 04:41 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  Would be nice if we lived in a fascist nation where idiots were treated as 2nd class and withheld breeding/voting rights.

This statement does sound a bit harsh, but unfortunately, it has some truth in it. Not every aspect of fascism is bad...

P.S.

I love when religious persons stand up for evolution and explain things from religious point of view.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-f..._blog.html

Man, did that set those pesky atheists off! Big Grin
(26-08-2011 09:09 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(26-08-2011 03:16 AM)Filox Wrote:  I love when religious persons stand up for evolution and explain things from religious point of view.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-f..._blog.html

Thanks for sharing that! I don't personally understand what a person of faith has for a foundation for belief if the bible isn't completely true, but I appreciate when they don't deny the truth for the sake of keeping that belief.

If the religious in this country wouldn't find the pursuit of knowledge, I think it would solve all the problems we have with them... but that's just my humble opinion.

Sola fides works, but only this nut seems to understand it. When the reading public can understand Johnny Cantor, I'll try to explain it; but the current consensus is that House of Cantor translates into "insane troll gibberish." We're working on that. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-11-2011, 08:21 PM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2011 08:23 PM by Erxomai.)
(25-08-2011 03:39 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  There were recently a couple responses to Rick Perry's message that evolution is "just a theory", both in the Washington Post. Paula Kirby and Richard Dawkins both wrote good responses - nice reading for anyone interested in the debate.

I just loved this quote from Professor Dawkins:

"In any other party and in any other country, an individual may occasionally rise to the top in spite of being an uneducated ignoramus. In today’s Republican Party ‘in spite of’ is not the phrase we need. Ignorance and lack of education are positive qualifications, bordering on obligatory. Intellect, knowledge and linguistic mastery are mistrusted by Republican voters, who, when choosing a president, would apparently prefer someone like themselves over someone actually qualified for the job."

Speaking as someone who once let a girl talk him into voting for Reagan's 2nd term, then stuck with the party for years to come afterwards, I now know how true this is.
(23-11-2011 06:28 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  When the reading public can understand Johnny Cantor, I'll try to explain it; but the current consensus is that House of Cantor translates into "insane troll gibberish."

Oh, I don't think you need to put yourself down like that... You're definitely not a troll. Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
23-11-2011, 09:04 PM
(08-09-2011 12:22 PM)BnW Wrote:  I'm with Starcrasch on Huntsman. That's my pick right now, but he has little chance of getting through the crazies to win the nomination. If he doesn't get it, I'm going to write-in Alan Simpson from Wyoming.

I voted for Obama in 2008 and wouldn't vote for him again at gun point.

I wouldn't be so hard on Obama. I agree that he isn't really a democrat, and I hardly think he's really a Christian, either (to be fair, a rebuttal). But one thing we know for certain is that he taught constitutional law.

I don't know about you guys, but I think that when deciding whether someone gets a job or not, I want to look at qualifications. If I'm hiring somebody to manage a restaurant, I'd rather that they have experience in management and/or restaurant work, and it would be nice if they had some relevant education. Why do we really care what a candidate's religion is, or what other "ideas" they bring to the table? I'd like to vote for a soldier (because they'll be leading our military), someone with law training (because they have to write and/or pass laws), and other relevant training or experience (economics, management, US history, foreign relations, etc.) So as much as I don't approve of everything Obama does and says, I don't think he's a bad candidate for President (again). I'd rather vote in an atheist, but I don't think I'll ever see that choice. And it wouldn't be the most important quality, even if a candidate had it.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-11-2011, 08:10 AM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2011 08:18 AM by mysticjbyrd.)

Anyway, I liked the responses Dawkins and Kirby give! If only people who didn't already understand evolution would be able to read them and get something from it....I suppose in that sense I like Kirby's response more, Dawkins does tend to write on the assumption that his audience aren't complete morons, but you know complete morons are reading it and not understanding it and therefore just assuming its wrong. Or I guess what I'm trying to say is that Dawkins tends to write very sciency, nothing wrong with that, but it does tend to lose people.
I don't know how any one could call themselves a Republican after their racist party has intentionally tried to sabotage the country just to insure they get elected in 2012. And anyone with an IQ above a typewriter could see that fact plain as day. The current Republican party is a cancer within the US.

It's good that these common people dislike the 2012 candidates. But what about the actions of the party for the past couple decades, especially the past 3 years? That is far more deplaurable than the bad representation they will recieve in 2012.

It seems that their policies are now so skewed to the right that the only way they can get 49% of the population to vote for them is to nose-dive to country and blame it on the democrats. Otherwise that brainwashed 49% wouldn't vote for the theocracy/plutarchy that the Republicans advocate.

And I am not a Democrat.
[+] 1 user Likes mysticjbyrd's post
24-11-2011, 04:50 PM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2011 05:30 PM by GirlyMan.)
(12-10-2011 08:58 PM)Thomas Wrote:  I'll offer the argument that Obama is an Atheist for the following reasons:

I'll offer the following argument for Obama being an atheist. He doesn't come across as a clueless delusional idiot to me. But granted, there are also some theists who sneak into that category occasionally.

(23-11-2011 06:28 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  When the reading public can understand Johnny Cantor, I'll try to explain it; but the current consensus is that House of Cantor translates into "insane troll gibberish." We're working on that. Wink

No that's not it. That's not it at all. There is no hint of trolling and since I can almost start to understand and appreciate your words they're not gibberish. But the insanity definitely comes through. But speaking as someone who is completely batshit insane myself, I'm not sure it's something that needs to be "worked on". Wink

(23-11-2011 08:21 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Speaking as someone who once let a girl talk him into voting for Reagan's 2nd term, then stuck with the party for years to come afterwards, I now know how true this is.
(24-11-2011 08:10 AM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  I don't know how any one could call themselves a Republican after their racist party has intentionally tried to sabotage the country just to insure they get elected in 2012.

The only reason this voting-life long registered Republican (30+ years now) is still one is that my state doesn't have open primaries. So I vote for the looniest, least electable candidate in the Republican primary hoping to elevate them to the general election where they are guaranteed to lose. Wiiliam F. Buckley Jr. would be rolling over in his grave if he could see the current state of the Republican party. I mean Huntsman would easily beat Obama, Romney's got a 50-50 shot at beating Obama, and we're looking at Newt Gingrich, ... really? ... what the fuck are we thinking.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.