Right & Wrong on a Desert Isle

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2013, 01:59 PM
I am a thinking theist, and I was wondering if y'all think there is any right & wrong on an island not owned by any country, and no man-made laws yet applying to it.

Examples, and why?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2013, 03:44 PM
RE: Right & Wrong on a Desert Isle
Frusty

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 5 users Like evenheathen's post
27-10-2013, 03:50 PM
(27-10-2013 01:59 PM)Dearthair Wrote:  I am a thinking theist, and I was wondering if y'all think there is any right & wrong on an island not owned by any country, and no man-made laws yet applying to it.

Examples, and why?

Hey, why don'tcha answer your own question ? what do *you* think ?

I don't accept right or wrong as a priori things - they are codifications of human customs. If your island is inhabited then the islanders will have their customs, which might include eating each other etc. Sounds pretty grim huh ?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
27-10-2013, 04:35 PM
(27-10-2013 01:59 PM)Dearthair Wrote:  I am a thinking theist, and I was wondering if y'all think there is any right & wrong on an island not owned by any country, and no man-made laws yet applying to it.

Examples, and why?

Another "atheists have no morals" exercise?

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 4 users Like Slowminded's post
27-10-2013, 04:37 PM
I'll play along. Yes, I do think there would be right and wrong, and these notions would come from reason. People would learn to cooperate in order to live a good life.

"Laissez nous faire!"

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor will I ever ask another man to live for mine."
27-10-2013, 05:16 PM
The golden rule of course.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
27-10-2013, 05:25 PM
(27-10-2013 04:35 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  

Examples, and why?

Another "atheists have no morals" exercise?

...and lather, rinse, repeat...

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
27-10-2013, 05:40 PM
(27-10-2013 05:25 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(27-10-2013 04:35 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Another "atheists have no morals" exercise?

...and lather, rinse, repeat...
Yeah,but it's really kind of pointless to give serious answers . This guy ain't coming back to respond, right?
I mean he will come back maybe, to read the responses, and not finding what he thought he will find, some kind of gross display of immorality, he is gone.

At least that's my impression with those kind of threads from newbies.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
27-10-2013, 05:46 PM
I think things would go well for a while until Steve looks over at Jim and thinks about how Jim has a nicer hut and while he could build a bigger hut it would be much easier to just kill Steve. However killing was made against the rules because it isn't something you'd want someone to do to you.
So Jim will think on it for a day or so and decide that he spoke to an mystical being in the sky who only he can see. This being says it created them and has a place waiting for them when they die. But only if they obey. One of the rules is that Steve must die and Jim gets his hit and his ten daughters.
People will scoff at the idea at first until Jim mentions that if people don't obey they will suffer for an eternity. Then people will come around to the idea.
Steve will die. The crops will flourish coincidentally and all will believe they have made the mystical sky daddy happy. Thus religion will overtake the island until the population gets really big. Then a dude named jerry will hear a voice from god saying that Jim was a false prophet and there were other rules they needed to learn. This will create a rift between staunch jimtians and the new jerrytians. War will break out on the island. Many will die. Such is human nature.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like lucradis's post
27-10-2013, 05:48 PM
(27-10-2013 05:40 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(27-10-2013 05:25 PM)Anjele Wrote:  ...and lather, rinse, repeat...
Yeah,but it's really kind of pointless to give serious answers . This guy ain't coming back to respond, right?
I mean he will come back maybe, to read the responses, and not finding what he thought he will find, some kind of gross display of immorality, he is gone.

At least that's my impression with those kind of threads from newbies.

You can answer. You can even answer seriously. Depends on how much you like circular discussions/arguments.

Same Shit Different Day.

We can't be moral because we don't believe in gawd...most theists know that to be true. Then we say that gawd didn't/doesn't act very morally and BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...or...lather, rinse, repeat.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy