Right & Wrong on a Desert Isle

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2013, 11:26 AM
RE: Right & Wrong on a Desert Isle
(29-10-2013 11:23 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(29-10-2013 11:21 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  LaughatLaughat

We already knew that. Did you think that you needed this whole presentation to point that out to us?

You're silly.

You could've just asked.
"So you people all have different opinions about stuff, even the important stuff?"

We would say "Yes" , and get it over with.

And so do theists. There are thousands of theist moral systems, which do not agree.

And each individual in every theist moral system has his or her own beliefs as well Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2013, 11:29 AM
(29-10-2013 11:23 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(29-10-2013 11:21 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  LaughatLaughat

We already knew that. Did you think that you needed this whole presentation to point that out to us?

You're silly.

You could've just asked.
"So you people all have different opinions about stuff, even the important stuff?"

We would say "Yes" , and get it over with.

And so do theists. There are thousands of theist moral systems, which do not agree.
Yes, of course, I know.
I just find it hilarious that he thought that he is pointing out something that we didn't already know.
Like he was expecting us to go "omg, omg , we all think differently, what are we going to doooo? we better turn to the bible and learn to all think alike"
Big Grin

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
29-10-2013, 11:44 AM
*cheesy joke alert*
If we all became Christians, would we have to eat lambs instead if babies?
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
29-10-2013, 12:07 PM
I'd just like to reiterate my original take on this argument:

Frusty

Chase

Bechased

Dodgy

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 5 users Like evenheathen's post
29-10-2013, 12:27 PM
It is self-evident that recognition of the right of self-preservation in others, is in MY best interest, and the best interest of everyone else as well.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
29-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Where you get it all wrong is that I am talking about each and every individual atheist has no basis for his/her morality.

Repeated attempts to turn this debate into a "so are you" and a "you're chicken if you don't answer" is what is plainly silly.

If a fellow atheist on a desert island deliberately kills your best friend because the fellow didn't like how your friend noisily slurped his coconut juice, the atheist "belief" can only say, "I personally didn't like that act, but what he did was acceptable because he decided that on his own."
Hobo
29-10-2013, 01:06 PM
(29-10-2013 12:49 PM)Dearthair Wrote:  Where you get it all wrong is that I am talking about each and every individual atheist has no basis for his/her morality.

Repeated attempts to turn this debate into a "so are you" and a "you're chicken if you don't answer" is what is plainly silly.

If a fellow atheist on a desert island deliberately kills your best friend because the fellow didn't like how your friend noisily slurped his coconut juice, the atheist "belief" can only say, "I personally didn't like that act, but what he did was acceptable because he decided that on his own."
Hobo

No, we wouldn't. When there is a society, then we come to agreement on rules of behavior. We define right and wrong.

There have been studies that show that independent of what society or religion, people largely have the same basic sense of morality and ethics.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-10-2013, 01:06 PM
And so it was foretold http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid403870

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
29-10-2013, 01:10 PM
(29-10-2013 12:49 PM)Dearthair Wrote:  Where you get it all wrong is that I am talking about each and every individual atheist has no basis for his/her morality.

Hobo

If a fellow theist on a desert island deliberately kills your best friend because the fellow didn't like how your friend noisily slurped his coconut juice, the theist "belief" can only say, [i]"I personally didn't like that act, but what he did can be forgiven on repentance to our lord .

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
29-10-2013, 01:17 PM
(29-10-2013 01:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Hobo

No, we wouldn't. When there is a society, then we come to agreement on rules of behavior. We define right and wrong.

There have been studies that show that independent of what society or religion, people largely have the same basic sense of morality and ethics.

Unfortunately, we are here talking about a desert island where there is no law. But, you are onto something there.