Right & Wrong on a Desert Isle

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2013, 05:28 PM
RE: Right & Wrong on a Desert Isle
(02-11-2013 04:50 PM)Dearthair Wrote:  
(02-11-2013 04:16 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Here is what I found
http://www.skepdic.com/lourdes.html

"the odds of anyone being cured of anything except thirst by this water are less than favorable, excluding, of course, those cured by a placebo effect."

And, finally...and randomly....look at x-rays of a man's completely broken leg healed completely from one day to the next after visiting Lourdes, his doctor unable to explain it, but confirmed the overnight healing.

All you lurkers here, enjoy. The extreme disgruntled will be the most vocal...ignore them like gnats.

You are making an unsubstantiated assertion. Please provide evidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-11-2013, 05:29 PM
(02-11-2013 05:12 PM)Dearthair Wrote:  
(02-11-2013 05:00 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Do you have any proof of this leg healing thing? Not even a link? We are just supposed to take your word for it?

That was random. There are plenty of similar stupendous, baffling, occurences. Unfortunately I am not going to do the work for you. If you care, do the research. They exist and are intriguing.

I have researched it. There are no miracles.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-11-2013, 05:35 PM
(02-11-2013 05:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-11-2013 05:12 PM)Dearthair Wrote:  That was random. There are plenty of similar stupendous, baffling, occurences. Unfortunately I am not going to do the work for you. If you care, do the research. They exist and are intriguing.

I have researched it. There are no miracles.

You are a poor researcher...and I don't mean a researcher with lack of funds!
Find all posts by this user
02-11-2013, 05:43 PM
(02-11-2013 05:35 PM)Dearthair Wrote:  
(02-11-2013 05:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  I have researched it. There are no miracles.

I suspect I am simply less credulous than you. Drinking Beverage

02-11-2013, 05:50 PM
(02-11-2013 05:35 PM)Dearthair Wrote:  
(02-11-2013 05:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  I have researched it. There are no miracles.

No, you are just thoroughly gullible and driven by personal confirmation bias that you refuse to see there are rational explanations.

My family took my mother there to cure her of her MS. She did experience remission that had begun months before she left and continued for a couple of years after her visit. Of course my family forgets all that and just recalled the miraculous healing that occurred -- and when her remission ended well...all that Lourdes talk was completely forgotten.

Shoo fly!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
02-11-2013, 06:06 PM
(02-11-2013 05:50 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(02-11-2013 05:35 PM)Dearthair Wrote:  You are a poor researcher...and I don't mean a researcher with lack of funds!

No, you are just thoroughly gullible and driven by personal confirmation bias that you refuse to see there are rational explanations.

My family took my mother there to cure her of her MS. She did experience remission that had begun months before she left and continued for a couple of years after her visit. Of course my family forgets all that and just recalled the miraculous healing that occurred -- and when her remission ended well...all that Lourdes talk was completely forgotten.

Shoo fly!

The point is, whether something baffled scientists or not. And it has.....many, many, many times. Religious cures are not simply "I asked" and "it happened". The facts are there...don't ignore them.
02-11-2013, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2013 06:13 PM by Bucky Ball.)
In 150 years 200 million pilgrims went to Lourdes, just 67 miracles (assuming you believe them). So even if you are Christian and you pray,your highest chance is 0.0000335%
Not such a good percentage for that there Jebus, and his mum, is it. Tongue
http://www.skepdic.com/lourdes.html
http://wwrn.org/articles/29730/?&place=f...ristianity
http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/not-q...te-lourdes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
02-11-2013, 06:09 PM
(02-11-2013 05:12 PM)Dearthair Wrote:  
(02-11-2013 05:00 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Do you have any proof of this leg healing thing? Not even a link? We are just supposed to take your word for it?

That was random. There are plenty of similar stupendous, baffling, occurences. Unfortunately I am not going to do the work for you. If you care, do the research. They exist and are intriguing.

I have done the research. Every credible source says the so called miracles are fraudulent.
02-11-2013, 06:16 PM
(02-11-2013 06:06 PM)Dearthair Wrote:  The point is, whether something baffled scientists or not. And it has.....many, many, many times. Religious cures are not simply "I asked" and "it happened". The facts are there...don't ignore them.

First it is a fact, scientists were baffled. Now it is, whether or not they were baffled it was still a miracle...
Uh huh ok
02-11-2013, 06:17 PM
(02-11-2013 06:09 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(02-11-2013 05:12 PM)Dearthair Wrote:  That was random. There are plenty of similar stupendous, baffling, occurences. Unfortunately I am not going to do the work for you. If you care, do the research. They exist and are intriguing.

I have done the research. Every credible source says the so called miracles are fraudulent.

Yes, and "credible" to you is only what you want to consider credible.