Right-handedness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2015, 06:00 PM
Right-handedness
Have you ever wondered why the majority of humans are right handed? The following article explains that hand preference seems to be linked with bipedality. Apes tend to favor one hand over another once they are forced to walk on two legs. Stone tool evidence shows that by 600,000 years ago, right-handedness became a dominant trait in early humans species. However, research suggests that this may just be a fluke of neuroanatomy. The left hemisphere of the brain controls both the right hand and our tongue. In short, the evolution of language might have been a driver of right hand preference. This is known as the Homo loquens hypothesis.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20141215...ght-handed

I've written about the link between tool use and language in this lengthy post.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...alking-Ape
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like ghostexorcist's post
27-05-2015, 07:24 PM
RE: Right-handedness
Some years ago I visited an acquaintance in Texas who was picking up unifacial stone tools which had eroded out of a hillside. He had any number of them but one seemed out of place. It had the requisite number of flakes removed ( he was using 6 as an arbitrary number) but this one did not seem to fit. He gave it to me while I was holding a coffee cup in my right hand so I took it with my left. It fit perfectly. I suppose that was the first time I had ever given any thought to left-handedness in pre-history but it was right there, as plain as day.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Minimalist's post
27-05-2015, 07:36 PM
(27-05-2015 07:24 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Some years ago I visited an acquaintance in Texas who was picking up unifacial stone tools which had eroded out of a hillside. He had any number of them but one seemed out of place. It had the requisite number of flakes removed ( he was using 6 as an arbitrary number) but this one did not seem to fit. He gave it to me while I was holding a coffee cup in my right hand so I took it with my left. It fit perfectly. I suppose that was the first time I had ever given any thought to left-handedness in pre-history but it was right there, as plain as day.

That's pretty neat. Thanks for sharing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-05-2015, 08:39 PM
(27-05-2015 07:36 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  ...

I'd say it was distinctly sinister.

Angel

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
27-05-2015, 09:05 PM
(27-05-2015 08:39 PM)DLJ Wrote:  

Angel

Ouch!

27-05-2015, 09:22 PM
(27-05-2015 08:39 PM)DLJ Wrote:  

Angel

Etymological jokes! Tongue

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
27-05-2015, 09:43 PM
(27-05-2015 06:00 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Have you ever wondered why the majority of humans are right handed? The following article explains that hand preference seems to be linked with bipedality. Apes tend to favor one hand over another once they are forced to walk on two legs. Stone tool evidence shows that by 600,000 years ago, right-handedness became a dominant trait in early humans species. However, research suggests that this may just be a fluke of neuroanatomy. The left hemisphere of the brain controls both the right hand and our tongue. In short, the evolution of language might have been a driver of right hand preference. This is known as the Homo loquens hypothesis.

Speaking of neuro-anatomy, this doc was telling me today that the venous system in the brain is *very poorly* designed. The only things that moves blood in the veins in the brain are the push from the arterial system, and gravity. Facepalm
No back-flow prevention valves like the veins in the extra-skullular venous systems. So "venous sinus" clots form (like in mountain climbers at high altitudes, and for a few other reasons). Can't think why Evolution did that. Consider

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
27-05-2015, 10:07 PM
Cause we didn't originally evolve to walk upright?

Lots of little evolutionary fuckups because of that.

https://sciencebasedlife.wordpress.com/2...evolution/

I tell ya, that fucking god is one shitty designer.

[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
28-05-2015, 10:27 AM
(27-05-2015 06:00 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Have you ever wondered why the majority of humans are right handed? The following article explains that hand preference seems to be linked with bipedality. Apes tend to favor one hand over another once they are forced to walk on two legs. Stone tool evidence shows that by 600,000 years ago, right-handedness became a dominant trait in early humans species. However, research suggests that this may just be a fluke of neuroanatomy. The left hemisphere of the brain controls both the right hand and our tongue. In short, the evolution of language might have been a driver of right hand preference. This is known as the Homo loquens hypothesis.

Interesting. I also think right-handedness is a learned behavior. For instance, a parent who is right-handed would most likely teach a child to use their right-hand to hold a fork or a pencil etc. Great article, thanks for posting!
28-05-2015, 10:53 AM
(28-05-2015 10:27 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Interesting. I also think right-handedness is a learned behavior. For instance, a parent who is right-handed would most likely teach a child to use their right-hand to hold a fork or a pencil etc. Great article, thanks for posting!

I disagree. Identical twins often have one lefty and one righty. Example: our identical twins. We never "taught" them how to hold a pencil/pen. We just made sure they were available. And they went their own way. Both my wife and I are right handed.

Way back when (like in the 50s - I'm an old fart), left handed kids used to be forced to write with their right hands - I kid you not!!

Your mention of forks also has a cultural aspect. I was taught to eat with a knife in my right hand and a fork in my left. I believe many Americans tend to to do the same when cutting food, but then use the fork in their right hand while eating. I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong (thank you). I also use the fork in my right hand when eating food that doesn't need cutting. In a more "formal" setting, I would not use my fork in my right hand.
[+] 1 user Likes jockmcdock's post