Right-handedness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2015, 11:06 AM
RE: Right-handedness
(28-05-2015 10:53 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  
(28-05-2015 10:27 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Interesting. I also think right-handedness is a learned behavior. For instance, a parent who is right-handed would most likely teach a child to use their right-hand to hold a fork or a pencil etc. Great article, thanks for posting!

I disagree. Identical twins often have one lefty and one righty. Example: our identical twins. We never "taught" them how to hold a pencil/pen. We just made sure they were available. And they went their own way. Both my wife and I are right handed.

Way back when (like in the 50s - I'm an old fart), left handed kids used to be forced to write with their right hands - I kid you not!!

Your mention of forks also has a cultural aspect. I was taught to eat with a knife in my right hand and a fork in my left. I believe many Americans tend to to do the same when cutting food, but then use the fork in their right hand while eating. I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong (thank you). I also use the fork in my right hand when eating food that doesn't need cutting. In a more "formal" setting, I would not use my fork in my right hand.

I use my fork/chopsticks everything in right hand. I remember (inadvertently) being taught to use my right hand for most things. I do think it can also have an evolutionary basis, but I still think it can be a learned behavior (at least partially). For instance, children watch parents to learn how to do a variety of tasks and it is easier to imitate someone using the same hand. That said, I agree that the evolutionary basis is probably stronger.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
28-05-2015, 11:32 AM
(28-05-2015 11:06 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I use my fork/chopsticks everything in right hand. I remember (inadvertently) being taught to use my right hand for most things. I do think it can also have an evolutionary basis, but I still think it can be a learned behavior (at least partially). For instance, children watch parents to learn how to do a variety of tasks and it is easier to imitate someone using the same hand. That said, I agree that the evolutionary basis is probably stronger.

Instead of handed-ness (TRADEMARKED!!) how about footed-ness (ALSO!!). Most right-handers are also right footed and lefties are mainly also left-footed. There are exceptions - people who use their left hand but kick with their right foot (or vice versa). But there are few, if any, situations where parents "teach" their kids to kick with a particular foot.
[+] 1 user Likes jockmcdock's post
28-05-2015, 11:41 AM
(28-05-2015 11:06 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I use my ...chopsticks everything in right hand.

You can use chopsticks???? I hate you. That's an art I never mastered.

SmileEvil_monsterSmile
[+] 2 users Like jockmcdock's post
28-05-2015, 11:48 AM
(28-05-2015 11:41 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  
(28-05-2015 11:06 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I use my ...chopsticks everything in right hand.

SmileEvil_monsterSmile

Yeah well Girl_nails

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
28-05-2015, 11:49 AM
[Image: resized_the-most-interesting-man-in-the-...laburd.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
28-05-2015, 11:51 AM
(28-05-2015 11:41 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  

SmileEvil_monsterSmile

Here lol...

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
28-05-2015, 12:32 PM
(28-05-2015 11:06 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(28-05-2015 10:53 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  I disagree. Identical twins often have one lefty and one righty. Example: our identical twins. We never "taught" them how to hold a pencil/pen. We just made sure they were available. And they went their own way. Both my wife and I are right handed.

Way back when (like in the 50s - I'm an old fart), left handed kids used to be forced to write with their right hands - I kid you not!!

Your mention of forks also has a cultural aspect. I was taught to eat with a knife in my right hand and a fork in my left. I believe many Americans tend to to do the same when cutting food, but then use the fork in their right hand while eating. I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong (thank you). I also use the fork in my right hand when eating food that doesn't need cutting. In a more "formal" setting, I would not use my fork in my right hand.

I use my fork/chopsticks everything in right hand. I remember (inadvertently) being taught to use my right hand for most things. I do think it can also have an evolutionary basis, but I still think it can be a learned behavior (at least partially). For instance, children watch parents to learn how to do a variety of tasks and it is easier to imitate someone using the same hand. That said, I agree that the evolutionary basis is probably stronger.
I can use chopsticks in my right hand well enough that I've had Chinese and Japanese people call their friends over. I guess the white boys were impressing them. I can use a fork in either hand, which pisses my older sister off. I can use knives in either hand, but feel better in my right -- feels better with knife in right and fork in left.

I don't like pencils in my left hand while drawing but will paint with either hand.

I'm so messed up.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
28-05-2015, 12:35 PM
Here's a little video of an ambidextrous pitcher. But it was learned behavior.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
28-05-2015, 01:56 PM
(28-05-2015 12:32 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  I don't like pencils in my left hand while drawing but will paint with either hand.

You can paint?? I hate you too. Even my stick figures are awful.

When I taught maths, I used to apologise to my students by saying beforehand "Pretend this is a circle...". Even my straight lines had bends in them.

Can't draw for nuts.
28-05-2015, 02:01 PM
(28-05-2015 12:32 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(28-05-2015 11:06 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I use my fork/chopsticks everything in right hand. I remember (inadvertently) being taught to use my right hand for most things. I do think it can also have an evolutionary basis, but I still think it can be a learned behavior (at least partially). For instance, children watch parents to learn how to do a variety of tasks and it is easier to imitate someone using the same hand. That said, I agree that the evolutionary basis is probably stronger.
I can use chopsticks in my right hand well enough that I've had Chinese and Japanese people call their friends over. I guess the white boys were impressing them. I can use a fork in either hand, which pisses my older sister off. I can use knives in either hand, but feel better in my right -- feels better with knife in right and fork in left.

I don't like pencils in my left hand while drawing but will paint with either hand.

I'm so messed up.

I'm with Jock. I wish I could draw but my drawings are a disaster. I'm okay with stick figures but anything beyond that and I look like I'm replicating a Picasso without meaning to Sad