Right-handedness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2015, 02:03 PM
RE: Right-handedness
(28-05-2015 12:35 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Here's a little video of an ambidextrous pitcher. But it was learned behavior.

I was a reasonable soccer player. So much so that I played in the age level one above my age. As a result, I was often used in positions which were difficult to fill i.e. left wing and left back. As a result, I learnt to use my left foot much more than I would have had I played on the right. So much so that I could take corners with either my left foot or my right.

But it was very much learned behaviour.

Strangely, Barcelona and Man U never came calling.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2015, 02:59 PM
(28-05-2015 02:01 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I'm with Jock. I wish I could draw but my drawings are a disaster.

(28-05-2015 01:56 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  You can paint?? I hate you too. Even my stick figures are awful.

I never said I paint well. Smile I'm severely out of practice and haven't done a piece or commission in a long time.
28-05-2015, 03:09 PM
(28-05-2015 02:59 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  I never said I paint well. Smile I'm severely out of practice and haven't done a piece or commission in a long time.

You got commissioned??? You're way out of my league, mate. SmileBig Grin
28-05-2015, 03:16 PM
(28-05-2015 11:41 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  
(28-05-2015 11:06 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I use my ...chopsticks everything in right hand.

You can use chopsticks???? I hate you. That's an art I never mastered.

SmileEvil_monsterSmile

I've forgotten how to use a knife and fork.

Problem is... chopsticks smudge my nail polish. Disastrous.

28-05-2015, 05:30 PM
Re: Right-handedness
Just 25 years ago, teachers at a day care tried to force my left-handed brother to use his right hand. But then, it's a little backward around here. I'm fairly sure no one does it anymore.
28-05-2015, 05:49 PM
(28-05-2015 10:53 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  Way back when (like in the 50s - I'm an old fart), left handed kids used to be forced to write with their right hands - I kid you not!!

I dated a guy in high school who was left handed but had been forced to write with his right hand. Surprisingly his handwriting was pretty good. They didn't break him completely, he used scissors and tools with his left hand.

The nuns did everything they could to 'correct' left-handedness.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
30-05-2015, 07:02 AM
Hi all, first post, go easy on me :-)

As a left handed person, who managed to avoid the whole "tie the left hand behind your back" thing of the era, I am also an old fart, I raise the other left/right divide, the eyes.

You have a dominant eye, most of the time it doesn't make itself known as the binocular vision works regardless of which eye is dominant.
It does come into single eye tasks, such as rifle shooting, as an example where I definitely notice my left eye dominance.

Right eye dominant shooters will tell you, when shooting a right hand rifle, to shoot with both eyes open, and for them this is correct, but not for left eye dominant shooters, we have to shut the left eye to force the non-dominant eye to take the sight picture.

Is it just a coincidence that I am both left handed and left eye dominant?

BTW I also hammer left handed, a surprisingly useful ability for my job as a dirty handed marine engineer, and I can give something a hard hit where my right handed hammering fallows can't.

The way the bible treats left handed people was the start of my distrust of conventional religious reasoning, the whole rejection and demonetization of those tho weren't "the same" as they were got right up my nose.
30-05-2015, 07:09 AM
(30-05-2015 07:02 AM)Andy-Gadget Wrote:  Hi all, first post, go easy on me :-)

As a left handed person,

Your type aren't welcome 'round 'ere

Welcome to TTA

30-05-2015, 01:26 PM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2015 01:30 PM by dancefortwo.)
(30-05-2015 07:02 AM)Andy-Gadget Wrote:  Hi all, first post, go easy on me :-)

As a left handed person, who managed to avoid the whole "tie the left hand behind your back" thing of the era, I am also an old fart, I raise the other left/right divide, the eyes.

You have a dominant eye, most of the time it doesn't make itself known as the binocular vision works regardless of which eye is dominant.
It does come into single eye tasks, such as rifle shooting, as an example where I definitely notice my left eye dominance.

Right eye dominant shooters will tell you, when shooting a right hand rifle, to shoot with both eyes open, and for them this is correct, but not for left eye dominant shooters, we have to shut the left eye to force the non-dominant eye to take the sight picture.

Is it just a coincidence that I am both left handed and left eye dominant?

BTW I also hammer left handed, a surprisingly useful ability for my job as a dirty handed marine engineer, and I can give something a hard hit where my right handed hammering fallows can't.

The way the bible treats left handed people was the start of my distrust of conventional religious reasoning, the whole rejection and demonetization of those tho weren't "the same" as they were got right up my nose.

My husband does archery and had to learned about his dominant eye, which I think is his right eye. My right eye is dominant so I wonder if our children are right eyed. I'm not sure.

My sister is left handed and her 1st and 2n'd grade teachers forced her to use her right hand. She was having a horrible, dreadful time learning how to read. It wasn't until she got into the 3rd grade that the teacher let her use her left hand and she finally started to read better and by the end of her 3rd grade she was reading like the wind.

Most dancers have a better side, especially with pirouettes. I'm better standing on my right foot and turning right. When I use my left leg as the standing leg and turn to my left I'm just not as strong and I also don't spot as well turning left because I'm right eyed. My left hip socket is more flexible than my right but my right leg extends higher than my left. It's all very weird.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
30-05-2015, 02:10 PM
(30-05-2015 01:26 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Most dancers have a better side, especially with pirouettes. I'm better standing on my right foot and turning right.

Funny. I toyed with a unicycle for a while and I could go straight or make right turns with no problem. I could NOT make a left turn without falling.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP