Right or Atheist Troublemakers?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2011, 11:49 AM

Right or Atheist Troublemakers?
So I have absolutely no issue with using Church buildings as secular venues for such things as Graduations or Town Meetings. So is this group in Atlanta helping the cause, or making us look like troublemaking idiots?

Atlanta School Board Votes Not to Move Graduation From Local Church
Published January 21, 2011
| FoxNews.com

The Cherokee County School Board voted Thursday night not to move its graduation ceremony from First Baptist Church of Woodstock, MyFoxAtlanta.com reports.

School officials have said the church offers the most space and would cost only $2,000 for all of the county's commencement ceremonies.

A national advocacy group called Americans United for the Separation of Church and State, however, has threatened to sue the district unless it finds a non-religious venue for the ceremony.
Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2011, 12:00 PM
RE: Right or Atheist Troublemakers?
It really is just a building; it's symbolic and religious meaning has nothing to do with holding graduations. I don't see the concern with using such a place.

[Image: websig.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Mixed feelings on this. I think sometimes a spade is just a spade and you don't need to read into things. However, we in parts of the US, and certainly in the south, Christians beat their religion over your head at every opportunity and cry "anti-Christian!!!" when someone fights back. The logic for this may be completely secular, but I can understand where the suspicion and distrust come from.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
25-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Agree with BnW - in a normal society , a church is just a building , but in fundie land , its just another way of jamming the bible down someone's throat.
25-01-2011, 01:59 PM

(25-01-2011 01:08 PM)BnW Wrote:  Mixed feelings on this. I think sometimes a spade is just a spade and you don't need to read into things. However, we in parts of the US, and certainly in the south, Christians beat their religion over your head at every opportunity and cry "anti-Christian!!!" when someone fights back. The logic for this may be completely secular, but I can understand where the suspicion and distrust come from.

I did consider the fact that this is in Atlanta vs. The Midwest where I am. However the tiny article gives no indication that the problem was with the ceremony being religous in nature, which BTW can be just a true in a cow pasture as in a church. So I'm focusing on the objection being based soley on the building being a church.
25-01-2011, 06:38 PM

If it saves the school money, go ahead. Let's just see to it that they cover up/take down any religious symbolism present in the room where the event is being held, and that this doesn't become a phenomenon. That's when it should be fought.
25-01-2011, 10:20 PM
I can't see any reason to dispute the site unless there is a religious issue. I can imagine that a group that wants to oppose - say - a benediction or a prayer before hand might find it more difficult to oppose religious inclusion in a ceremony if the ceremony is in a church. However, at the same time, it's common to use churches as voting locations, and if someone was to suggest a prayer before voting I don't think anyone would have any problem objecting just because the building is owned by a church.

So yes, I can see the point of the objection, but it probably doesn't do our side any favors.
26-01-2011, 06:39 AM
The problem is that we are historically always on the defense. There is an old saying that sometimes the best offense is a good defense. Well, I think the opposite can be true as well. I'm a big believe in picking your battles carefully, but as religious groups are picking more and more ridiculous issues (i.e. the "war" on Christmas" every year) then maybe it behooves us to meet stupid complaint with stupid complaint. Get the other side of the debate out there.

That said, this particular issue really may be a streeeeeetch.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost