Rights of life...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2016, 10:02 PM
RE: Rights of life...
(04-02-2016 09:40 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  We have genetically engineered servants - they're called dogs. Tongue

And we are genetically engineered servants - Our masters are called 'Cats'. Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Peebothuhul's post
07-02-2016, 10:47 AM
Apologies for not getting back to this thread earlier but I have been super duper busy.

I find it interesting that some find a non organic copy of consciousness like I gave in example 2 to be an equal to that of biological consciousness. To some degree I agree, however I am not fully convinced.

If you could copy the consciousness of a rapist or a killer and put it into the same shell, would you still give it the same rights??? It would just be a copy and be completely innocent in its own regards, as it had not committed a crime.

Also I find it interesting that people would not like example one, even though I stated that it would be a basic functioning humanoid who could not even comprehend its situation. I would compare example one to the vast majority of animals.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
07-02-2016, 12:04 PM
(07-02-2016 10:47 AM)bemore Wrote:  Apologies for not getting back to this thread earlier but I have been super duper busy.

I find it interesting that some find a non organic copy of consciousness like I gave in example 2 to be an equal to that of biological consciousness. To some degree I agree, however I am not fully convinced.

What is it about a inorganic identity that makes it unequal? And is which ways?

(07-02-2016 10:47 AM)bemore Wrote:  If you could copy the consciousness of a rapist or a killer and put it into the same shell, would you still give it the same rights???

Sure, why not? Do biological rapists and murders not get afforded the same rights and protections, such freedom from self incrimination and trial by jury?

(07-02-2016 10:47 AM)bemore Wrote:  It would just be a copy and be completely innocent in its own regards, as it had not committed a crime.

That's a whole other can of philosophical worms right there. I imagine that there would have to be some follow through line of causation and responsibility; or else what stops someone from doing whatever they want, making a copy, and just deleting the original?

(07-02-2016 10:47 AM)bemore Wrote:  Also I find it interesting that people would not like example one, even though I stated that it would be a basic functioning humanoid who could not even comprehend its situation. I would compare example one to the vast majority of animals.

And indeed, given that level technology, we can do better with machines; because all animals deserve better. Now sentient and self-aware machines on the other hand, well, that's a whole other can of philosophical worms.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
07-02-2016, 01:00 PM
(07-02-2016 10:47 AM)bemore Wrote:  Also I find it interesting that people would not like example one, even though I stated that it would be a basic functioning humanoid who could not even comprehend its situation. I would compare example one to the vast majority of animals.
There are some of us that didn't object to scenario 1.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post