Rise of the Nones

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Rise of the Nones
[Image: armed_nuns__31035.jpg]

I found this recent poll about the religious affiliation of Americans and found the results to be very surprising, especially from what older polls had suggested. The Gallop poll asked people how important religion was in their daily lives, and how often they attend religious services, which concluded that nearly 32% of American's belonged to the Nones, contrasted by 15% back in 2008. Taken with a grain of salt, it does show that the non-religious in hiding are becoming more comfortable and coming out, even if the numbers are off due to survey error.

Anyways, just thought I'd share this because I didn't see it anywhere else on the forum. And I'm excited because the first meeting of our campus' Student Secular Alliance is today Big Grin

Here is the link to the poll: http://www.gallup.com/poll/153479/missis...state.aspx

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2012, 12:08 PM

RE: Rise of the Nones
It says nothing about atheism. And most people are uncomfortable with the term "religious" and definitely uncomfortable with the term "very religious" so I'm not sure how accurate the data for the poll is. What you hear today is "I'm spiritual but not religious." Actual atheism, I would imagine, is very small.
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2012, 12:11 PM
I agree, I don't even describe myself as "Atheist" because my life doesn't revolve around it. Instead I am a "Secular Humanist" because I interact with the world through reason. This poll talks about the Nones which makes up atheists, agnostics, humanists, secularists, freethinkers, and anyone else who checks the box for "No Religion" when asked. It shows that religion is becoming less and less important in the lives of Americans.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Interesting North / South divide.

I wonder what it would have looked like if Spain and Portugal had colonised Canada and England and France had colonised South America.

Find all posts by this user