Rival between Jews and Christians

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2010, 01:41 PM

Rival between Jews and Christians
Since I'm a Jew, I'm not familiar with the new testament. But it seems like many Christians hate us for some reason, which described in your bible.
I saw a show on National Geographic about this Jesus guy, and it said that god abandoned the Jews and moved to the Christians or something. o_O
Is that why Christians hate us?

Please clear it up to me. Tongue Thanks! Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2010, 02:34 PM
RE: Rival between Jews and Christians
Hard for me to say, I'm not familiar with the old or new testament. But I have noticed something, the closer your beliefs get to another person;s beliefs, yet still not the same, the more they hate you. I notice a lot of protestant-catholic hatred, even though they are both Christians. I think that is where some of it comes from. I'm not sure why, but being Jewish has never been seen as a good thing in my culture. It's idiotic, but if you call someone a Jew, that's an insult.

That could have a lot to do with my heavily Protestant soiciety. Hey, you are better than a Catholic where I'm from.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2010, 02:50 PM

(18-04-2010 01:41 PM)HurricaneIL Wrote:  Since I'm a Jew, I'm not familiar with the new testament. But it seems like many Christians hate us for some reason, which described in your bible.
I saw a show on National Geographic about this Jesus guy, and it said that god abandoned the Jews and moved to the Christians or something. o_O

Christians don't hate Jews, Jesus was Jew. Jews killed Jesus but that was part of the plan. So no Christians don't hate Jews.
18-04-2010, 02:58 PM
(18-04-2010 02:50 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  
(18-04-2010 01:41 PM)HurricaneIL Wrote:  Since I'm a Jew, I'm not familiar with the new testament. But it seems like many Christians hate us for some reason, which described in your bible.

Christians don't hate Jews, Jesus was Jew. Jews killed Jesus but that was part of the plan. So no Christians don't hate Jews.
I think Hurricane means in general. There are bigoted people who hates Jews, and some are Christians. What tends to be at the root of a Christian's hatred of Jews, is the question I believe.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
18-04-2010, 03:14 PM

(18-04-2010 02:58 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  
(18-04-2010 02:50 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  

I think Hurricane means in general. There are bigoted people who hates Jews, and some are Christians. What tends to be at the root of a Christian's hatred of Jews, is the question I believe.

There is or should be no hatred of Jews, that some do has nothing to do with the Bible only ignorance.
18-04-2010, 03:25 PM
(18-04-2010 03:14 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  There is or should be no hatred of Jews, that some do has nothing to do with the Bible only ignorance.

I fully agree, there should be no hatred. Having never read the bible I can't say what it does or doesn't say, and this includes anything antisemitic.

But I digress, for those Christians that are antisemitic, I think it is largely caused by a sense of familiarity, coming from sharing the old testament, but this sense that they are different, not sharing the new testament. Trying to get into a bigot's narrow-minded head, I could see how they would view a Jew as an infiltrator. Hard for me to say though, since I am neither.

19-04-2010, 08:42 AM
Actually, there does seem to be at least some, if not much, Biblical justification for Jewish rivalry or even hatred. You see, in the early days of Christianity, it seems the conventional Jews (who did not believe Jesus was the Messiah) were often a competing religious group, and were often painted in a negative light. They were, after all, supposedly to blame for the death of Jesus. According to the New Testament, the Jewish leaders conspired together to cause the crucifixion, and were the main opponents to the spreading of the news of Jesus' resurrection. It wasn't until much later that Christians fully realized that Jesus' death must have been "part of the plan" and that they (the Jews) should not be held accountable for following "God's will."

A case can be made that Jewish hatred from German Christians was a very large contributing factor to the holocaust. Martin Luther, a German priest who initiated the Protestant Reformation and split from the Catholic Church, was extremely antisemitic and basically called for the destruction of the Jews.

I'm at least glad that most Christians today seem to have realized how wrong it is to hate Jews, although I don't understand the conservative Christian support of a people who, according to the Christians, turned their back on God, killed his Son, and are condemned to hell for not believing in Jesus as the Messiah.

Jesus himself said it. "Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?" (Matthew 23:33)

The book of Revelation is a fun one too, in which the writer (who is supposedly channeling the words of Jesus himself) seems to state that the Jews are blasphemers and in league with Satan. "I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan." (Revelation 2:9)

You should also understand that the rivalry exists because Christians use the Old Testament "prophecies" of Jesus to justify belief in his divinity, while educated Jewish teachers will tell you exactly why those "prophecies" are either not prophecies, or are misused when applied to Jesus.

It's a complicated issue, for certain. I'm no expert, but I can see several points where the rivalry, dislike, and sometimes hatred, stem from.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.