Roadside Memorials

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2017, 04:52 PM
RE: Roadside Memorials
We had one of those two to three feet tall brick ones with the candle in a glass near here a few years ago. Did some serious damage to someone who over-corrected and slammed into it. That's part of my problem with them.

I read a novel a few years ago where one of the main characters collected them from the sides of the road and had his own *memorial garden* of them all over his back yard. I tried to find that book again online before I posted this but can't seem to get any search words I can think of to work.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2017, 04:58 PM
(16-08-2017 04:52 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  We had one of those two to three feet tall brick ones with the candle in a glass near here a few years ago. Did some serious damage to someone who over-corrected and slammed into it. That's part of my problem with them.

Probably did some damage to the car more likely.

Usually they're simple small wooden crosses with a few flowers if memory is still fresh.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
16-08-2017, 05:01 PM
(16-08-2017 04:41 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  unsapien---I despise tattered flags too, ESPECIALLY on any school or government property!

I like tattered flags. The new, crisp ones feel phony and actually, a tad insulting even. Somebody must've written a song about this. ...

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
16-08-2017, 05:06 PM
(16-08-2017 05:01 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-08-2017 04:41 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  unsapien---I despise tattered flags too, ESPECIALLY on any school or government property!

I like tattered flags. The new, crisp ones feel phony and actually, a tad insulting even. Somebody must've written a song about this. ...

Ha! I knew I remembered it from somewhere. The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed. .... (Didn't the NFL get shit for this? We really do suck at this, being human I mean.)

#sigh
16-08-2017, 05:12 PM
I really don't have a problem with these impromptu roadside memorials. They're temporary, we're temporary, everything's temporary, watching them decay reminds us of that. But other than the, not particularly necessary, pointed grim reminder, they're just kinda morose. If they wanted to do something a bit more useful, they could take in the dead people's pets. That's what ManlyGirl does.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
16-08-2017, 05:45 PM
I can't drive more than five miles around here without seeing one, or, sadly, the little clusters of crosses. I don't see it as a hazard to anyone so I say let the families and loved ones keep them up as they desire. I've actually thought about some kind of photo essay about it, something like "Five miles in any direction from my house" and research the circumstances of each one. Five miles would keep me busy for years.

16-08-2017, 05:55 PM
They're everywhere.

I guess some people see the geographic location of a loved one's death as hallowed ground. Must be an old heathen custom or something.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
16-08-2017, 06:11 PM
(16-08-2017 05:55 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  They're everywhere.

I guess some people see the geographic location of a loved one's death as hallowed ground. Must be an old heathen custom or something.

You'll surprise yourself if you ever lose someone who was a daily integral part of your life at the time and for a long time before, both.

It does strange things to your head - thankfully temporarily for rational folk, but still, it messes with your mind to where you question your sanity.

I've been there, and most anyone I talked to who had a person cut out of their daily lives also felt they were going nuts.

You probably can find atheists building memorials like that. Happens during the denial phase. He didn't really die, he is going to come walking down the road any minute now.... Your mind can play dirty tricks on you when too many of your normal actions/thoughts are aimed at a sudden vacuum. Madness of the gaps - hmmm - god of the gaps..... Consider

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
16-08-2017, 06:16 PM
(16-08-2017 04:52 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  We had one of those two to three feet tall brick ones with the candle in a glass near here a few years ago. Did some serious damage to someone who over-corrected and slammed into it. That's part of my problem with them.

Was it on the side of the road? Drivers still have to be careful...

16-08-2017, 06:22 PM
People should learn to drive better.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!