Roadside Memorials

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2017, 06:25 PM
RE: Roadside Memorials
Yes, just a very few feet off the pavement. Like most of the ones I see around here. Passenger said the inexperienced driver was trying to get a better look at it on the other side of the road and ran off the pavement and over-corrected. Car flipped. Memorial was busted up by the accident and very shortly thereafter removed never to be replaced.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2017, 06:30 PM
(16-08-2017 04:36 PM)unsapien Wrote:  This issue came up in my city a few years ago, and the city was debating what the prudent thing was, as over the years as these "monuments" began falling apart or rusting. I don't know if it they enacted any bylaws yet, but the most preferred option was to allow them to mark the site for 1 year, but only if someone was willing to take responsibility for maintaining the site during that year.

A particular thing here are monuments called "ghost bikes" where places that people were killed in cycling accidents were marked with bicycles painted white, usually adorned with flowers. There were 2 near me for a few years, becoming more dilapidated and sad with each passing month. They have since been removed.

What annoys me the most about these things is that while people show caring & love while erecting them, if they are not maintained, they do at some point turn into symbols of disrespect, much like continuing to fly a faded & tattered flag on a flag pole.

I would never erect such a thing though.

In the city of medellin Colombia at one point 10 years ago or so, the practice has beeb suspended since then, but when a car killed someone on the city's street they'd draw a huge Yellow cstar on the street. As a warning. People asked me what I thought and I assured them that they should paint the start on the car's door that struck someone down, it would give new meaning to the term 5 star taxi!
[+] 2 users Like Born Again Pagan's post
16-08-2017, 07:28 PM
I saw a lot of them when we lived in SC.

My first husband died in a car accident. I have never been to the scene though I know approximately where it happened. I have been to his grave to 'tell him' how pissed I was that he left me to raise the girls on my own. That was many years ago and I have never been back.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of his sisters doesn't have a shrine built on the spot where he died...hell, maybe both of his sisters considering one of them went to a medium to talk to him. Facepalm The medium said he was sitting at a table drinking a beer...perfect way to spend eternity after you have died from driving while drunk.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
17-08-2017, 03:39 AM
They have them here as well, in the UK, normally just flowers placed around the area it happened. I honestly don't mind, although I don't understand when people keep going back and replacing them LONG after the incident. Like if somebody has died, surely they've been buried or cremated by now? I sort of get it, but it's not something I would do.

As a side note, a person was killed on their bike (push bike not motor bike) at a crossing a few years back. On the crossing somebody has placed a fully white replica of their bike, and chained it to some railings so it can't be removed. Again I "get it", but it's just a bit morbid to me.

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
17-08-2017, 05:50 AM
(16-08-2017 04:51 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(16-08-2017 03:30 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Conclusion - if you're so fucking grief stricken, how the hell did you find time to construct this public display of " woe is me"?????

You are fucking ignorant and you have never grieved or you would not spout this nonsense. Angry

Really???

You think I haven't had friends and family die???

Or you think I' m an unfeeling robot???

Hmmmmmm

When my girlfriend got thrown from the back of my buddies bike ( her car died so he took her to work that day) and a hit and run driver ran out in front of them , they both got thrown ( he survived with injuries) she flew about 50 feet, head first into a curb. She lasted two days in ICU....

Oddly, ,I didn't need to rush out and build a monument to my grief.....

I've had several biker friends killed in traffic. Other people I know, died in cars.
I even knew a guy who got hit by a car while walking home from the bar because he was too drunk to ride...

The last one is the only one I know that had a " roadside monument" - and that was put up by his cunt of a sister ( a " good xtian") who wouldn't have anything to do with the man when he was alive, because she didn't approve of his lifestyle......

So don't fucking tell me what my opinion of this shit should be.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
17-08-2017, 06:25 AM
(16-08-2017 05:45 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  I can't drive more than five miles around here without seeing one, or, sadly, the little clusters of crosses.

It's save to say where there's clusters, there's road hazards, with or without crosses. People dying in the same spot over and over points to something being seriously wrong with road design.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like abaris's post
17-08-2017, 07:08 AM
We have them all over the place in Ireland. I don't have a problem with them. If it helps the grieving family, good luck to them.

A friend of mine, from the Netherlands, was shot dead by some nutcase outside a bar. He was only 21 and on the phone to his mother at the time. A memorial plaque was placed on the wall out side the bar. Years later a new owner bought the place, removed the plaque and replaced it with the bar menu. The family and many others were understandably upset. I could see it from both sides.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
17-08-2017, 07:26 AM
(16-08-2017 03:09 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Does the fact that I don't wish to see crosses along the shoulder of public roads give me the right to remove them?

No. It would give the holy-rollers a lovely "example" of the evil atheist's "disrespect" for other people's beliefs.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
17-08-2017, 08:28 AM
(17-08-2017 05:50 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(16-08-2017 04:51 PM)Dom Wrote:  You are fucking ignorant and you have never grieved or you would not spout this nonsense. Angry

Really???

You think I haven't had friends and family die???

Or you think I' m an unfeeling robot???

Hmmmmmm

When my girlfriend got thrown from the back of my buddies bike ( her car died so he took her to work that day) and a hit and run driver ran out in front of them , they both got thrown ( he survived with injuries) she flew about 50 feet, head first into a curb. She lasted two days in ICU....

Oddly, ,I didn't need to rush out and build a monument to my grief.....

I've had several biker friends killed in traffic. Other people I know, died in cars.
I even knew a guy who got hit by a car while walking home from the bar because he was too drunk to ride...

The last one is the only one I know that had a " roadside monument" - and that was put up by his cunt of a sister ( a " good xtian") who wouldn't have anything to do with the man when he was alive, because she didn't approve of his lifestyle......

So don't fucking tell me what my opinion of this shit should be.

It's about actually grieving, not about people dying around you and making you sad. There is a huge difference, and the fact that you don't know it means that you were not struck with grief.

Missing someone isn't the same. Grief is a physical process that affects your endocrine system and you have zero control over it. Zero. Zilch. You can suppress it for short periods of time, but unlike suppressed anger which can simmer for decades, grief comes in waves and they are close together at first and slowly become less frequent.

It messes with your brain. No one who has actually been there would say anything about crazy reactions by grieving people.

Many people go through life and never grieve - it has nothing to do with whether you loved the dead person or whether they were wonderful or whether you are a decent person. Nothing at all.

It's a reaction of the brain to constantly hitting voids when going through normal actions and thoughts. Broken hearts have nothing to do with it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
17-08-2017, 08:45 AM
(16-08-2017 04:34 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  
(16-08-2017 03:30 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I wrote a bit on this subject a couple of years ago.

Conclusion - if you're so fucking grief stricken, how the hell did you find time to construct this public display of " woe is me"?????

It's bad enough we waste space storing dead motherfuckers on prime real estate - AKA graveyards.... Now you want to waste more space doing roadside advertisements for them???

Censored

Any idea what search words I can use to find that? I'd like to read it. You meant here on this forum, right?

I did a thread on this a couple of years ago but I don't remember what I called it. That's probably where you commented on this subject.

To me these memorials becomes all about the last moment before their death instead of the 99.9% of how they lived. Personally I think however a person dies it's more important to remember the living that they did. When my mother died of cancer it took me a long time to remember her when she was healthy and vigarous and funny but after I stopped dwelling on her death that's when she came to life again. Now I tell funny stories about her to my kids who never really knew her. She lives on in family stories.

The road side memorials, I think, keep people kinda stuck in grief.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post