Roah, roah roah!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2016, 01:53 PM
Roah, roah roah!
The Norwegian government has finally made it possible for humans to leave the Norwegian Church, where we all became members, simply because we were born.

15000+ left the church during the first 4 days of last week.

15000 may not seem as a significant number, but believe me! Its recorded on seismographs all over the world!

Rgds
Tom
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 15 users Like thonord's post
20-08-2016, 01:57 PM
RE: Roah, roah roah!
It's a good thing to hear. It would be better if being born wouldn't make one member of the church though.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
20-08-2016, 02:10 PM
Incredible thst they had no "option in" thing in the first place!

Is there a formal self-excommunication procedure or do they just carry on ignoring the church as usual?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
20-08-2016, 02:47 PM
(20-08-2016 01:57 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  It's a good thing to hear. It would be better if being born wouldn't make one member of the church though.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

Hey, we've been struggling with this for 996 years.
Give us a break! Smile

We'll get there!
[+] 6 users Like thonord's post
20-08-2016, 03:00 PM
(20-08-2016 02:10 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  Incredible thst they had no "option in" thing in the first place!

Is there a formal self-excommunication procedure or do they just carry on ignoring the church as usual?

Well, when you don't really care, you stop paying attention. Anyhoo, we still have to pay for the churches and their maintenance, and salaries for priests and bishops and deecans etc.

And our constitution still says that our moral foundation is the anglo Lutheran church. And our monarch has to be a christian.

I guess its : Baby steps, baby steps.

So, shut up and let us enjoy small victories.
[+] 7 users Like thonord's post
21-08-2016, 05:44 AM
With a title like that I thought this was gonna be another Trump thread.
19-04-2017, 11:09 AM
Update!

It may seem that leaving the church, here in Norway, was a bad idea - financially!

Background:

We were a Lutheran* christian nation, and the government funded the Norwegian church, ie. we funded it thru taxes. The only requirement for membership was birth.

We are now a secular nation, but the Norwegian church has not gone away and the government continues to "pay it's bills". The membership requirement now, is baptism.

So, "What me worry"?

Well, being a secular nation, governmental funding of the Norwegian church alone would be unfair to other "churches", so now we have to pay for them as well. And now it gets interesting!

To be "fair to all", support to other religious activity is now given as a fixed amount pr. member.

This amount is calculated, based upon number of "members" in the norwegian church. Initially not a lot of money to the other religious activities, but better than nothing.

Now, the number of members in the Norwegian church are dropping fast, but the norwegian church's expenses remain the same. The result is an increased amount per member, and subsequently a higher income for the other churches.

This has fostered lots of creativity - like a large christian church's "membership activity". Everybody with a catholic sounding name became a member, almost automatically. The church took the telephone directory, did the paper work, without informing any body, and suddenly, their membership sky-rocketed.

We now have a lot of new churches popping up also, and Sec. finance is worried.

So am I!
The logical solution is to reduce support to the Norwegian church, but that seems to be a "No no".

We shall See what happens.

* I'm not sure if we were Lutheran or Protestant or if it matters. I have never cared. I've been an atheist for 57 years.
[+] 7 users Like thonord's post
19-04-2017, 11:30 AM
FWIW, Lutheran is a Protestant sect. I know communities in the areas of the US that are primarily descended from Scandinavian immigrants are very heavily Lutheran, so I'm going to guess that's what you were. I could Google but apparently... I'm not gonna.

TIL that, while I know perfectly well how to spell the word "Scandinavian" (although not really whether to capitalize it), I am nearly incapable of typing it.

I'm glad the system is getting shaken up, but I'm sorry because you and your countrymen actually have to live it, and I hope that it comes out as close to the best as it can. Best of luck and keep us updated!
19-04-2017, 01:07 PM
Why doesn't government cease funding Norwegian church altogether, let it go bankrupt (along with all the other religious whackos) and turn the churches into museums?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
19-04-2017, 02:12 PM
(19-04-2017 11:09 AM)thonord Wrote:  Well, being a secular nation, governmental funding of the Norwegian church alone would be unfair to other "churches", so now we have to pay for them as well. And now it gets interesting!

The alternative, of course, is paying for none. That seems fair to me as well.

As it is, it sounds like a good place to start a new church.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP