Robin Williams death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2014, 07:10 AM
Robin Williams death
Felt sick when I heard of him taking his own life. Depression is all to often a fatal disease. None of us are trained to deal with it but we do need to encourage those with it to seek professional help. We can try to be good listeners. ps Robin was atheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2014, 07:22 AM
RE: Robin Williams death
You don't know why he killed himself. Why do people jump to such conclusions?

He was 65. Your body is well on the way to degeneration at that time. He may have committed a perfectly rational suicide based on mental or physical deterioration with an unpleasant future in close sight.

If he were a teenager, it would be a tragedy. If it were a young family man, it would be a tragedy. In both cases it goes against our instincts.

But, as a 65 year old, he may well have opted to live a good life and die a good death.

Things to ponder:

The great majority of suicides are committed by people over 60.

This is such a societal taboo that most are hushed up and the extended family and friends never know. Chances are you have elderly suicides in your family.

Most of these suicides are committed because the person wants a good, peaceful death rather than the lingering, eventually fatal disease, mental or physical, that has raised it's ugly head.

Why force a person to suffer? Why not allow them a good death?

Just be aware that death gets a different meaning as you walk through the phases of life. And, that's a good thing. If the elderly feared death the way that people in their reproductive phase do, it would be a horrible thing.

Don't begrudge him having chosen a good death. You don't know his reasons.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 9 users Like Dom's post
12-08-2014, 07:27 AM
I do not think anyone is judging why he did it, but his loved ones certainly wish they could have done more to prevent it. No one likes to lose a loved one.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-08-2014, 07:29 AM
(12-08-2014 07:22 AM)Dom Wrote:  You don't know why he killed himself. Why do people jump to such conclusions?

He was 65. Your body is well on the way to degeneration at that time. He may have committed a perfectly rational suicide based on mental or physical deterioration with an unpleasant future in close sight.

If he were a teenager, it would be a tragedy. If it were a young family man, it would be a tragedy. In both cases it goes against our instincts.

But, as a 65 year old, he may well have opted to live a good life and die a good death.

Things to ponder:

The great majority of suicides are committed by people over 60.

This is such a societal taboo that most are hushed up and the extended family and friends never know. Chances are you have elderly suicides in your family.

Most of these suicides are committed because the person wants a good, peaceful death rather than the lingering, eventually fatal disease, mental or physical, that has raised it's ugly head.

Why force a person to suffer? Why not allow them a good death?

Just be aware that death gets a different meaning as you walk through the phases of life. And, that's a good thing. If the elderly feared death the way that people in their reproductive phase do, it would be a horrible thing.

Don't begrudge him having chosen a good death. You don't know his reasons.

He was only just 63. DOB: July 21, 1951.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
12-08-2014, 07:34 AM
(12-08-2014 07:27 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  I do not think anyone is judging why he did it, but his loved ones certainly wish they could have done more to prevent it. No one likes to lose a loved one.

That is true, loved ones suffer. They also suffer if he has for example Gehrigs disease and withers away in front of their eyes and then dies after many years of suffering.

Not wanting to lose a person is a given, and there is no way you can prepare yourself for it no matter how long the person suffers to make things easier for you.

Grief is an entirely selfish emotion, it is caused by a void in one's life.

The dead person has nothing to do with it, it is only the survivors who have the issue. In the case of a rational suicide by an older person, they merely avoided all the suffering (and cost to the family) an extended illness causes.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-08-2014, 07:40 AM
(12-08-2014 07:34 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 07:27 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  I do not think anyone is judging why he did it, but his loved ones certainly wish they could have done more to prevent it. No one likes to lose a loved one.

That is true, loved ones suffer. They also suffer if he has for example Gehrigs disease and withers away in front of their eyes and then dies after many years of suffering.

Not wanting to lose a person is a given, and there is no way you can prepare yourself for it no matter how long the person suffers to make things easier for you.

The dead person has nothing to do with it, it is only the survivors who have the issue. In the case of a rational suicide by an older person, they merely avoided all the suffering (and cost to the family) an extended illness causes.

Can you be certain this was a 100% "rational suicide?"

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
12-08-2014, 07:42 AM
Again, no one is judging, or should judge him for why he did it. It simply is a sad state for the survivors. I don't care how someone dies, when a loved one dies you are going to emotionally hurt.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
12-08-2014, 07:45 AM
I'm fairly sure a person would need to have at least some measure of depression to commit suicide.
12-08-2014, 07:45 AM
(12-08-2014 07:40 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 07:34 AM)Dom Wrote:  That is true, loved ones suffer. They also suffer if he has for example Gehrigs disease and withers away in front of their eyes and then dies after many years of suffering.

Can you be certain this was a 100% "rational suicide?"

Of course not, we don't know why. That's the essence of what I am saying - we don't know why he did it. It may not be a sad thing as far as he is concerned. And yes, any death of a close loved one is painful to people. Any death.

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
12-08-2014, 07:53 AM
(12-08-2014 07:45 AM)pablo Wrote:  I'm fairly sure a person would need to have at least some measure of depression to commit suicide.

A young person in their reproductive phase, yes. Your instincts then are to stay alive at all costs.

A person past their reproductive phase, that instinct subsides slowly bit by bit, as it should. I know I will choose the exit when either my mind or my body start down a road of no return. And I will celebrate having had a good life and having a good death. Nothing depressing about it, except for those who will miss me. And they will do so whether I choose the exit or linger in pain for years.