Robin Williams death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2014, 08:02 AM
RE: Robin Williams death
Personally, if I felt my health/body were to the point that suicide was my best option, I would find it depressing.

Sprinkles are for winners.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2014, 08:05 AM
(12-08-2014 08:02 AM)pablo Wrote:  Personally, if I felt my health/body were to the point that suicide was my best option, I would find it depressing.

Are you still in your reproductive phase? If so, that's the way it should be. If not, you'll get over that soon enough.

Just don't impose your feelings on those who are in a different phase of life.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-08-2014, 08:12 AM
Reproductive phase has little to do with it. Depression doesn't just go away. I'm 48 now, I was younger when I tried to kill myself. I don't know if you've had any personal experience with depression but it's a bitch for some of us.

[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
12-08-2014, 08:22 AM
(12-08-2014 08:12 AM)pablo Wrote:  Reproductive phase has little to do with it. Depression doesn't just go away. I'm 48 now, I was younger when I tried to kill myself. I don't know if you've had any personal experience with depression but it's a bitch for some of us.

I get that. And the younger you are, the more likely that a suicide would be a terrible thing, a permanent solution to temporary problems. A waste of a life that could still experience so much. Plus, something is very wrong because all your instincts should push you to staying alive.

The closer you get to death of "natural causes" or diseases caused by a deteriorating body, the more you become friends with the thought of death. It doesn't look so bad anymore. Your instinct of self preservation subsides bit by bit.

If you do suffer from depression, then anything can be depressing. However, I dare say that the majority of elderly who choose to exit do not do so because they are depressed. They do so because a good life ending in a good death is preferable to a life that has become miserable ending in a miserable death. A very rational decision. Luckily slowly but surely states in the US are introducing the "death with dignity" act and hopefully the stigma will disappear soon.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-08-2014, 08:43 AM
(12-08-2014 08:22 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 08:12 AM)pablo Wrote:  Reproductive phase has little to do with it. Depression doesn't just go away. I'm 48 now, I was younger when I tried to kill myself. I don't know if you've had any personal experience with depression but it's a bitch for some of us.

I get that. And the younger you are, the more likely that a suicide would be a terrible thing, a permanent solution to temporary problems. A waste of a life that could still experience so much. Plus, something is very wrong because all your instincts should push you to staying alive.

The closer you get to death of "natural causes" or diseases caused by a deteriorating body, the more you become friends with the thought of death. It doesn't look so bad anymore. Your instinct of self preservation subsides bit by bit.

If you do suffer from depression, then anything can be depressing. However, I dare say that the majority of elderly who choose to exit do not do so because they are depressed. They do so because a good life ending in a good death is preferable to a life that has become miserable ending in a miserable death. A very rational decision. Luckily slowly but surely states in the US are introducing the "death with dignity" act and hopefully the stigma will disappear soon.

In the case of Robin Williams (where this thread started) who suffered from depression and alcoholism for years, I seriously doubt the depression magically disappeared and he rationally decided to take his own life for reasons other than his mental illness.

Quote: I dare say that the majority of elderly who choose to exit do not do so because they are depressed.

How do we know this is true. Many cases go undiagnosed.

[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
12-08-2014, 09:04 AM
(12-08-2014 08:43 AM)pablo Wrote:  How do we know this is true. Many cases go undiagnosed.

I really don't know, I don't have depression and I have never known anyone with clinical depression.

12-08-2014, 09:10 AM
While I agree suicide should be allowed to be a choice for some people. I think getting upset with those that are sad about it is kinda cruel.

The Out Crowd.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
12-08-2014, 09:11 AM
(12-08-2014 08:43 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 08:22 AM)Dom Wrote:  I get that. And the younger you are, the more likely that a suicide would be a terrible thing, a permanent solution to temporary problems. A waste of a life that could still experience so much. Plus, something is very wrong because all your instincts should push you to staying alive.

In the case of Robin Williams (where this thread started) who suffered from depression and alcoholism for years, I seriously doubt the depression magically disappeared and he rationally decided to take his own life for reasons other than his mental illness.

Quote: I dare say that the majority of elderly who choose to exit do not do so because they are depressed.

How do we know this is true. Many cases go undiagnosed.

He had just finished a stint in rehab for whatever reason in July.

The Out Crowd.
12-08-2014, 09:24 AM
I don't know the date of this, but he had heart surgery not too long ago from the looks of it.

Here is an interview after that:

12-08-2014, 09:35 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 10:20 AM by kim.)
It's been 24 hours since the discovery of Robin Williams body and investigators are still reluctant to state that his death was indeed, self inflicted. So, though it has not been ruled out and certainly appears to be suicide, motive surrounding this death from asphyxiation, it is still for the most part, undetermined.

Seems to me that " asphyxiation" is an extremely broad term.
It was no secret when Michael Hutchence's body was found nude in a hotel room and his cause of death was due to sexual or autoerotic asphyxiation. I was no secret when Lee Alexander's body was found hanging by a belt in his wardrobe and his cause of death was due to asphyxiation. However, Hutchence's death was "accidental" while Alexander's was suicide... both were asphyxiation. So, what is making Robin Williams' asphyxiation so ambiguous? Motive and determination seem to need further investigation.

Did he have a plastic bag over his head while trying to huff some feel-good substance and just fuck up? That might be accidental. Did he leave a note or notes saying anything about current or ongoing shit he didn't want to deal with? That might indicate more deliberate actions leading to the conclusion of "possible" suicide. As of yet, the situation is undetermined and though I won't speculate ... for the moment I will say, troubled people do troubling things.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post