Robin Williams death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2014, 09:53 AM
RE: Robin Williams death
(12-08-2014 07:22 AM)Dom Wrote:  You don't know why he killed himself. Why do people jump to such conclusions?

He was 65. Your body is well on the way to degeneration at that time. He may have committed a perfectly rational suicide based on mental or physical deterioration with an unpleasant future in close sight.

If he were a teenager, it would be a tragedy. If it were a young family man, it would be a tragedy. In both cases it goes against our instincts.

But, as a 65 year old, he may well have opted to live a good life and die a good death.

Things to ponder:

The great majority of suicides are committed by people over 60.

This is such a societal taboo that most are hushed up and the extended family and friends never know. Chances are you have elderly suicides in your family.

Most of these suicides are committed because the person wants a good, peaceful death rather than the lingering, eventually fatal disease, mental or physical, that has raised it's ugly head.

Why force a person to suffer? Why not allow them a good death?

Just be aware that death gets a different meaning as you walk through the phases of life. And, that's a good thing. If the elderly feared death the way that people in their reproductive phase do, it would be a horrible thing.

Don't begrudge him having chosen a good death. You don't know his reasons.

Um, excuse me. He was 63 but even 65 isn't all that old and your body isn't always "well on it's way to degeneration".

He did seem to have an almost manic expression of life though.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2014, 10:05 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 11:27 AM by Dom.)
(12-08-2014 09:53 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 07:22 AM)Dom Wrote:  You don't know why he killed himself. Why do people jump to such conclusions?

He was 65. Your body is well on the way to degeneration at that time. He may have committed a perfectly rational suicide based on mental or physical deterioration with an unpleasant future in close sight.

If he were a teenager, it would be a tragedy. If it were a young family man, it would be a tragedy. In both cases it goes against our instincts.

But, as a 65 year old, he may well have opted to live a good life and die a good death.

Things to ponder:

This is such a societal taboo that most are hushed up and the extended family and friends never know. Chances are you have elderly suicides in your family.

Most of these suicides are committed because the person wants a good, peaceful death rather than the lingering, eventually fatal disease, mental or physical, that has raised it's ugly head.

Just be aware that death gets a different meaning as you walk through the phases of life. And, that's a good thing. If the elderly feared death the way that people in their reproductive phase do, it would be a horrible thing.

Um, excuse me. He was 63 but even 65 isn't all that old and your body isn't always "well on it's way to degeneration".

He did seem to have an almost manic expression of life though.

You are "over the hill" at 50, if we are generous and figure you live for 100. Slowly and surely aches and pains will set in, very minor at first and slowly progressing. Which is nice, because you can build up tolerance and acceptance. Some people will degenerate faster than others. As you go from 50 on out, more and more peers will die from such things as heart attacks, cancer, and so on as well as contract Alzheimers and other degenerative diseases of the brain.

That is why, the older people are, the more they generally talk about illnesses and decay - it dominates their lives more and more.

Robin already had had open heart surgery. He said it made him enjoy life more.

There is really no point in speculating. Whatever issues he may have had, from depression to drugs to heart disease to any number of things we do not and will never know, their influence in his decision is as likely as the statistical presence of these things is for his age group.

And Kim is right, it could be termed accidental as yet. Which you may always take with a grain of salt, too, because of the huge stigma connected to suicide. The stigma on the survivors, that is.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Quote:You are "over the hill" at 50, if we are generous and figure you live for 100. Slowly and surely aches and pains will set in, very minor at first and slowly progressing. Which is nice, because you can build up tolerance and acceptance. Some people will degenerate faster than others. As you go from 50 on out, more and more peers will die from such things as heart attacks, cancer, and so on as well as contract Alzheimers and other degenerative diseases of the brain.

You've already made it clear your thoughts and knowledge about depression even though you admit you don't have it don't know anyone who does.

Is it safe to assume you're not even close to the age of 50?

"The confidence displayed by idiots is staggering."
12-08-2014, 10:38 AM
We have lost one of the best entertainers of our time. Whatever reason he had was his own and I will respect that. Its an odd stance but I never begrudge anyone the right to their own suicide. Just not my place to judge.
I will miss him.
He was and will always be my favorite comic.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
12-08-2014, 10:51 AM

Things to ponder:

I said something very similar to a couple very stupid Facebook commenters.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
12-08-2014, 10:58 AM
(12-08-2014 10:35 AM)pablo Wrote:  
Quote:You are "over the hill" at 50, if we are generous and figure you live for 100. Slowly and surely aches and pains will set in, very minor at first and slowly progressing. Which is nice, because you can build up tolerance and acceptance. Some people will degenerate faster than others. As you go from 50 on out, more and more peers will die from such things as heart attacks, cancer, and so on as well as contract Alzheimers and other degenerative diseases of the brain.

You've already made it clear your thoughts and knowledge about depression even though you admit you don't have it don't know anyone who does.

Is it safe to assume you're not even close to the age of 50?

Well, it wasn't all THAT long ago - I am 61.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
12-08-2014, 11:33 AM
(12-08-2014 10:35 AM)pablo Wrote:  You've already made it clear your thoughts and knowledge about depression even though you admit you don't have it don't know anyone who does.

I have made nothing clear about my feelings about depression other than saying that I don't have it nor do I know people who do.

What I did say is that it is not only depression that could have caused him to exit. There are a zillion other things that could have been the trigger.

We do not know. And - we won't find out. He is the only one who really knows - unless he left a note.

12-08-2014, 11:42 AM
You're saying 63 year old man with a history of addiction and depression is just as likely to commit suicide because he feels old as he is because of the depression?

"The confidence displayed by idiots is staggering."
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
12-08-2014, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 12:39 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
Just watched the press conference. He died by hanging himself with a belt wedged by a door in a semi seated position (a chair was under him). The assistant coroner (Boyd) said he was clothed -- but didn't say what that meant and stipulated he wasn't fully clothed.

There were several superficial cut marks on one (or both)of his wrists.

There might have been a note.

He was being treated for severe depression.

A final determination will be given in 2-6 weeks time. Marin county sherriff is still gathering information. They do not know if drugs or alcohol played a part.

He did have a heart attack 5-10 years ago -- it is unknown if he had any other health problems -- but if he did it will be covered in a future press conference when the formal investigation is concluded.

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

12-08-2014, 12:49 PM
(12-08-2014 12:34 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Just watched the press conference. He died by hanging himself with a belt wedged by a door.

There were several superficial cut marks on one (or both)of his wrists.

There might have been a note.

He was being treated for severe depression.

A final determination will be given in 2-6 weeks time. Marin county sherriff is still gathering information. They do not know if drugs or alcohol played a part.

He did have a heart attack 5-10 years ago -- it is unknown if he had any other health problems -- but if he did it will be covered in a future press conference when the formal investigation is concluded.

I don't have tv so, thanks for the report Momsy.
Well... does sound momentarily deliberate.
I do know quite a bit about depression so, I can honestly say... I don't think he was in his rational mind at the time. It probably just seemed to him as if it was the only thing he had left. I know it was a horrible, dreadful struggle for him and for his family.

Once one gets to that place, there doesn't seem to be any other way out.

It is indeed, sad. Undecided

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 3 users Like kim's post