Robin Williams death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2014, 12:58 PM
RE: Robin Williams death
(12-08-2014 12:34 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Just watched the press conference. He died by hanging himself with a belt wedged by a door in a semi seated position (a chair was under him). The assistant coroner (Boyd) said he was clothed -- but didn't say what that meant and stipulated he wasn't fully clothed.
---

Oops Confused missed that part!

Consider
So... it could have been autoerotic ...?

Mmm... nah. I'm thinking at a certain point, jacking off is pretty much off the table. Sadcryface

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2014, 01:20 PM
(12-08-2014 12:49 PM)kim Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 12:34 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Just watched the press conference. He died by hanging himself with a belt wedged by a door.

There were several superficial cut marks on one (or both)of his wrists.

There might have been a note.

He was being treated for severe depression.

A final determination will be given in 2-6 weeks time. Marin county sherriff is still gathering information. They do not know if drugs or alcohol played a part.

He did have a heart attack 5-10 years ago -- it is unknown if he had any other health problems -- but if he did it will be covered in a future press conference when the formal investigation is concluded.

I don't have tv so, thanks for the report Momsy.
Well... does sound momentarily deliberate.
I do know quite a bit about depression so, I can honestly say... I don't think he was in his rational mind at the time. It probably just seemed to him as if it was the only thing he had left. I know it was a horrible, dreadful struggle for him and for his family.

Once one gets to that place, there doesn't seem to be any other way out.

It is indeed, sad. Undecided

I completely agree! That was my thought as I listened to the press conference. I don't know if it was covered by regular media (I grew up in the Bay Area so I follow local news and watched it on my iPad via KTVU in San Francisco/Oakland (Mrs Doubtfire was filmed at the KTVU studios).

In some way, I actually do rather hope there wasn't a serious underlying health issue (as Dom suggested -- and they aren't finished speaking with people) I really, really do believe this country needs to have a better understanding of depression. Our mental health care isn't what it should be. Maybe his death can raise awareness to something many, many suffer with daily.

To dismiss it as "he was old enough to decide" just because he was in his 60s lessens what people with severe depression go through in silence.

We need to shine a bright light into that darkness -- because each day we lose too many people of all ages due to severe depression.

When tears are in your eyes and you can't find the way
It's hard to make believe you're happy when you're gray
Baby, when you're feelin' like you'll never see the mornin' light
Come to me..Baby, you'll see -- The Four Seasons

[+] 8 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-08-2014, 01:23 PM
(12-08-2014 12:58 PM)kim Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 12:34 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Just watched the press conference. He died by hanging himself with a belt wedged by a door in a semi seated position (a chair was under him). The assistant coroner (Boyd) said he was clothed -- but didn't say what that meant and stipulated he wasn't fully clothed.
---

Oops Confused missed that part!

Consider
So... it could have been autoerotic ...?

Mmm... nah. I'm thinking at a certain point, jacking off is pretty much off the table. Sadcryface

Someone asked about that....the assistant coroner was dismissive on that point -- so I'm thinking no.

Someone else asked if it could have been accidental and Boyd said no, it was deliberate.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-08-2014, 01:24 PM
(12-08-2014 11:42 AM)pablo Wrote:  You're saying 63 year old man with a history of addiction and depression is just as likely to commit suicide because he feels old as he is because of the depression?

Where did I ever say such a thing? You keep putting things in my mouth that I never said.

I said that he was of an age where people realize that their bodies are slowly falling apart. He may have experienced any number of things at that age - such as Alzheimers symptoms for instance, that would lead a person to choose to exit.

We don't know enough to assume anything about him whatsoever.

Everyone says, yes, depression is the cause. It is a POSSIBLE cause. It is even a likely cause. But it is not the only possible cause. People assume automatically that one is depressed and that is why one chooses to exit. There are many other reasons to do so, rationally legitimate reasons.

That is what I have been saying.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
12-08-2014, 01:47 PM
(12-08-2014 01:24 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 11:42 AM)pablo Wrote:  You're saying 63 year old man with a history of addiction and depression is just as likely to commit suicide because he feels old as he is because of the depression?

Where did I ever say such a thing? You keep putting things in my mouth that I never said.

I said that he was of an age where people realize that their bodies are slowly falling apart. He may have experienced any number of things at that age - such as Alzheimers symptoms for instance, that would lead a person to choose to exit.

Everyone says, yes, depression is the cause. It is a POSSIBLE cause. It is even a likely cause. But it is not the only possible cause. People assume automatically that one is depressed and that is why one chooses to exit. There are many other reasons to do so, rationally legitimate reasons.

Oh, I understsnd what you're saying and this investigation is not concluded. Boyd made it clear they were not finished speaking with people who knew him. He completed 4 movies this year....so I'm sure someone would eventually comment if he had moments of confusion as in early onset Alzheimer's. If he had a recent Dx of anything surely it will come out later.

What we do know for sure, is that he was being treated for severe depression and substance abuse. He was in rehab earlier this year for alcohol dependency. Also there were acute cut-marks on his body and Boyd alluded to others that weren't acute (recent).

We do not know if he had an ongoing heart condition from the heart attack he suffered from years ago. It is also very possible while he was physically healthy, the mental mind screw can and often does lead to depression.

Lets also be honest, our mental health care kinda stinks. We cannot continue to sweep it under the rug and pretend it's not an issue.

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-08-2014, 01:53 PM
(12-08-2014 01:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 01:24 PM)Dom Wrote:  Where did I ever say such a thing? You keep putting things in my mouth that I never said.

Oh, I understsnd what you're saying and this investigation is not concluded. Boyd made it clear they were not finished speaking with people who knew him. He completed 4 movies this year....so I'm sure someone would eventually comment if he had moments of confusion as in early onset Alzheimer's. If he had a recent Dx of anything surely it will come out later.

What we do know for sure, is that he was being treated for severe depression and substance abuse. He was in rehab earlier this year for alcohol dependency. Also there were acute cut-marks on his body and Boyd alluded to others that weren't acute (recent).

We do not know if he had an ongoing heart condition from the heart attack he suffered from years ago. It is also very possible while he was physically healthy, the mental mind screw can and often does lead to depression.

Lets also be honest, our mental health care kinda stinks. We cannot continue to sweep it under the rug and pretend it's not an issue.

Our mental health care stinks big time!

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-08-2014, 02:33 PM
(12-08-2014 01:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  ---

^^This^^

I don't know about other countries but in the US, this situation is dire.
Even when one seeks help, treatment is not always affordable and insurance often won't pay for anything but simple therapy and a boatload of drugs. Human beings are not made from a cookie cutter and one human brain may respond completely unlike any other human brain treated for exactly the same thing. Insurance usually only covers cookie cut people.

Any problem a person might already have can lead them into depression and a person with depression can be lead into nearly any kind of problem. It's a massive cycle of self destruction and once it's begun, it's anyone's guess as to how or if it can be stopped, let alone reversed.

The gun related suicide rate is twice the gun related homicide rate. That's just with a gun... it doesn't take into account all the other ways to destroy one's own life. People don't usually realize that self destruction isn't just the death of one person... it can often affectively destroy many other lives.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
12-08-2014, 02:50 PM
(12-08-2014 02:33 PM)kim Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 01:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  ---

^^This^^

I don't know about other countries but in the US, this situation is dire.
Even when one seeks help, treatment is not always affordable and insurance often won't pay for anything but simple therapy and a boatload of drugs. Human beings are not made from a cookie cutter and one human brain may respond completely unlike any other human brain treated for exactly the same thing. Insurance usually only covers cookie cut people.

Any problem a person might already have can lead them into depression and a person with depression can be lead into nearly any kind of problem. It's a massive cycle of self destruction and once it's begun, it's anyone's guess as to how or if it can be stopped, let alone reversed.

The gun related suicide rate is twice the gun related homicide rate. That's just with a gun... it doesn't take into account all the other ways to destroy one's own life. People don't usually realize that self destruction isn't just the death of one person... it can often affectively destroy many other lives.

Liking this simply wasn't enough...I needs to be repeated and often!

Bowing

12-08-2014, 03:00 PM
(12-08-2014 01:24 PM)Dom Wrote:  

I thought you were trying to dismiss depression as something a person can snap out of or just suddenly feel better. I understand where you're coming from now, my mistake. Sorry.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
12-08-2014, 03:02 PM
(12-08-2014 03:00 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 01:24 PM)Dom Wrote:  Where did I ever say such a thing? You keep putting things in my mouth that I never said.

I thought you were trying to dismiss depression as something a person can snap out of or just suddenly feel better. I understand where you're coming from now, my mistake. Sorry.

Hug Hug

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post