Robin Williams death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2014, 03:16 PM
RE: Robin Williams death
One thing about the press conference that does bug me...Boyd gave his physical address in it.

I dunno if I like that.

I know people where leaving flowers at the house he used to live in Seacliff, even tho he sold it years and years ago.

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2014, 04:35 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 04:40 PM by GirlyMan.)
(12-08-2014 01:20 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I really, really do believe this country needs to have a better understanding of depression.

I don't hide my Black Dog from my colleagues. I do refer to it as a neurotransmitter imbalance 'cause that's what it is and the clinical description destigmatizes it. The social stigmatization of mental health issues is the real problem.

Just because I'm an atheist doesn't mean there aren't people who should pray for their sorry ass to be saved.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-08-2014, 04:37 PM
(12-08-2014 04:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 01:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Lets also be honest, our mental health care kinda stinks. We cannot continue to sweep it under the rug and pretend it's not an issue.

I don't hide my Black Dog from my colleagues. I do refer to it as a neurotransmitter imbalance 'cause that's what it is.

Hug

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

13-08-2014, 07:01 AM
I find it hard to believe that anyone under the crippling weight of depression or high anxiety can make a rational decision when it's attacking you.

I should know.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
13-08-2014, 07:17 AM
Hug
(13-08-2014 07:01 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I find it hard to believe that anyone under the crippling weight of depression or high anxiety can make a rational decision when it's attacking you.

I should know.

HugHugHug

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
14-08-2014, 12:05 AM
(12-08-2014 04:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The social stigmatization of mental health issues is the real problem.

I'd go so far as to say it is one of THE biggest problems there is in modern society.
[+] 4 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
14-08-2014, 06:15 AM
(14-08-2014 12:05 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 04:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The social stigmatization of mental health issues is the real problem.

I'd go so far as to say it is one of THE biggest problems there is in modern society.

I remember when I went on antidepressants at 18 for depression and out of control anxiety, we obviously didn't broadcast it. At my wedding, 3 years later, I made a joke about being on them and my grandmother pulled me aside and made sure to start giving me the Spanish inquisition about why I "was so sad". After trying to politely explain that that's not quite how it works, and attempting to dodge any jabs from her, she told me that back when she was growing up, they called that "just crazy".

I could honestly give a shit what she thinks, but that's the kind of thought process that needs to stop. And I don't accept the "well she's old" as an excuse for ignorance.
[+] 1 user Likes MrsFarrow's post
14-08-2014, 11:26 AM
I hate people trying to appeal to tradition or saying " back in the day". Yes cool lets all take wisdom from a more ignorant time, when one of the ways to deal with mental disorders was with a hand operated drill.

"Back in my day a woman stayed home with the kids and tended to the house and they did not dress like whores!"
"That's nice great grandpa, but back in your day she also had help FROM THE SLAVES. So there is that."
14-08-2014, 11:28 AM
(14-08-2014 11:26 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  I hate people trying to appeal to tradition or saying " back in the day". Yes cool lets all take wisdom from a more ignorant time, when one of the ways to deal with mental disorders was with a hand operated drill.

"Back in my day a woman stayed home with the kids and tended to the house and they did not dress like whores!"
"That's nice great grandpa, but back in your day she also had help FROM THE SLAVES. So there is that."

Feeling stressed at work? Life got you down? Seeing dancing fairies in the corner?

Let us help with lobotomy! Buy one lobotomy get one electro shock therapy free!

Available while supplies last and the law allows!

*Edit* sorry. Anyway, I agree, the "good ol' days" werent so fantstic thanks.

The Out Crowd.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
14-08-2014, 12:08 PM
He was just another face. The difference with his face though was it was very funny and everybody happened to recognise it. That may sound heartless, yet I say it with empathy, them be the facts though (in my opinion)

Like people have quite rightly mentioned in this thread other people suffer with depression and when occasions like this are paraded on the news, it makes me think of all the other people who would of took their own life on August 11th.

No fanfare for them.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post