Robin Williams death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2014, 01:02 PM
RE: Robin Williams death
His wife has revealed that he was in the beginning stages of Parkinson's. This would certainly interfere with his career, especially in light of his physical kind of comedy.

Double whammy.

Sadcryface

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-08-2014, 01:05 PM
(14-08-2014 01:02 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  His wife has revealed that he was in the beginning stages of Parkinson's. This would certainly interfere with his career, especially in light of his physical kind of comedy.

Double whammy.

Sadcryface

Hmmm, armed with this knowledge, that may give credence to what Dom was saying.

Still, speaking from personal experience, I don't believe anyone under the crippling weight of depression and anxiety can make a rational decision during an attack. I just don't think it's physically, psychologically, or emotionally possible.

[Image: RHcn6pd.gif]
14-08-2014, 01:23 PM
(14-08-2014 01:05 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(14-08-2014 01:02 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  His wife has revealed that he was in the beginning stages of Parkinson's. This would certainly interfere with his career, especially in light of his physical kind of comedy.

Double whammy.

Sadcryface

Hmmm, armed with this knowledge, that may give credence to what Dom was saying.

Still, speaking from personal experience, I don't believe anyone under the crippling weight of depression and anxiety can make a rational decision during an attack. I just don't think it's physically, psychologically, or emotionally possible.

You don't know whether his depression was well managed at the time or not.

Given his age and that he has had clinical depression for a very long time, plus that he was in a position to obtain the best of treatments, I would imagine he knew that monkey on his back well enough to keep it at bay.

Clinical depression is not a reason to declare a person mentally incompetent. Just because they have clinical depression doesn't mean that people can't decide whether they want to live with Parkinson's or not.

No way in hell would I stick around for that myself, I would draw the line at some point.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
14-08-2014, 01:28 PM
(14-08-2014 01:23 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(14-08-2014 01:05 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Hmmm, armed with this knowledge, that may give credence to what Dom was saying.

You don't know whether his depression was well managed at the time or not.

Given his age and that he has had clinical depression for a very long time, plus that he was in a position to obtain the best of treatments, I would imagine he knew that monkey on his back well enough to keep it at bay.

Clinical depression is not a reason to declare a person mentally incompetent. Just because they have clinical depression doesn't mean that people can't decide whether they want to live with Parkinson's or not.

No way in hell would I stick around for that myself, I would draw the line at some point.

Oh, I'm not suggesting that people with depression are mentally incompetent, I'm merely saying that in the middle of an attack, rational decisions are very hard to make. Again... I know... I wouldn't be teal if that was the case.

I'm very competent as I'm sure he was as well... however, during the worst of times, my decision making is skewed and overpowered by emotions.

14-08-2014, 01:32 PM
(14-08-2014 01:28 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(14-08-2014 01:23 PM)Dom Wrote:  You don't know whether his depression was well managed at the time or not.

Oh, I'm not suggesting that people with depression are mentally incompetent, I'm merely saying that in the middle of an attack, rational decisions are very hard to make. Again... I know... I wouldn't be teal if that was the case.

I'm very competent as I'm sure he was as well... however, during the worst of times, my decision making is skewed and overpowered by emotions.

You are also new to it. He wasn't. From what I hear he had been in treatment for it for decades. Since then he also developed heart disease, had open heart surgery and declared afterwards that it changed everything and made life worth living.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
14-08-2014, 01:34 PM
(14-08-2014 01:32 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(14-08-2014 01:28 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Oh, I'm not suggesting that people with depression are mentally incompetent, I'm merely saying that in the middle of an attack, rational decisions are very hard to make. Again... I know... I wouldn't be teal if that was the case.

You are also new to it. He wasn't. From what I hear he had been in treatment for it for decades. Since then he also developed heart disease, had open heart surgery and declared afterwards that it changed everything and made life worth living.

So you're repealing the suggestion you made?

14-08-2014, 01:43 PM
(14-08-2014 01:05 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Hmmm, armed with this knowledge, that may give credence to what Dom was saying.

I completely agree, Kingsy.

Even with mild depression, often the objective for the depressed person is to try to maintain control. After much experience with this behavior, it becomes painfully obvious to the observer that the depressed person can, at any moment, begin spiraling seriously out of control.

Every decision made in the grip of depression, is specifically geared in that moment and is dependent on whatever abyss is currently being fixated on. One is completely unable to see beyond hopelessness and certainly can see nothing resembling a future.

That's why suicide seems logical; it will fix everything, right now because ... there is no future.

I'm sorry you've had to experience this, Kingsy. Hug

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
14-08-2014, 01:46 PM
I appreciate that, Kim... but it's going to be an ongoing and consistent struggle with me as long as I'm plagued with headaches and have to take meds. As I've said numerous times before, an unfortunate side effect of these meds and the pain is crippling depression and anxiety which greatly alters my personality.

[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
14-08-2014, 02:29 PM
(14-08-2014 01:34 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(14-08-2014 01:32 PM)Dom Wrote:  You are also new to it. He wasn't. From what I hear he had been in treatment for it for decades. Since then he also developed heart disease, had open heart surgery and declared afterwards that it changed everything and made life worth living.

So you're repealing the suggestion you made?

Erm, huh?

Not sure what I am repealing.

From the start, all I wanted to do is to keep everyone from jumping to conclusions. It seems that many posters as well as the media etc. immediately jumped to the conclusion that he killed himself because he was depressed.

There are a lot of other things to consider. We don't know why he did it at all. Even now that we have another piece of the puzzle. We will never have the whole puzzle, no one but him ever did. And we can't ask him anymore.

This matters to me because I would like to get rid of the stigma associated with suicide. It doesn't have to have anything to do with depression or desperation or any negative emotions. It can be a purely rational choice.

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
14-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Most mental illness affecting thought processes does not particularly affect one's ability to be rational, though. The effect is on perception and assumptions. Acts do not seem irrational to those performing them. That includes suicide.

Most people don't generally entertain suicidal tendencies, but at the same time most of us would prefer that control over our own lives (for example, "I would rather die than X", for a great many values of X).

The problem is that it's difficult to judge competence.

... this is my signature!