Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
In my college prep writing class, our latest assignment has been to choose an artist or group that should be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. We must discuss the merit of their music and the influence they have made, not only for other musicians but on their listeners. I'm considering the Shins, but haven't totally decided. Who would you like to see inducted and why?

"If God is real, he better have a good excuse." - Woody Allen
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2012, 02:45 PM
RE: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
(23-10-2012 12:47 PM)Wolfmurder Wrote:  In my college prep writing class, our latest assignment has been to choose an artist or group that should be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. We must discuss the merit of their music and the influence they have made, not only for other musicians but on their listeners. I'm considering the Shins, but haven't totally decided. Who would you like to see inducted and why?

Does the band have to be eligible right now? If so The Shins ain't old enough I don't think. If they don't have to be eligible yet, I'd pick Tool. They are the only band I know of that still uses fantastic art and imagery with their music, they practically re-defined the progressive-rock genre, they've influences a ton of great bands, they have always been edgy, thought provoking lyrics, unusual, but pleasant timing signatures, and I just personally love them Wink

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
23-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Rush.

40 years of being one of the most influential bands in a half dozen genres and the biggest act out of Canada until Justin Bieber. They're kept out because of record label politics.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 2 users Like Phaedrus's post
23-10-2012, 03:01 PM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2012 03:04 PM by kim.)
Gotta agree - Rush is more than deserving. They are the same three guys who started out. Their music is consistently good. All they've ever cared about is the music. They are to Canada what Queen is to the UK; home town boys who belong to the world.
[Image: rush.jpg]
[Image: Rush-band-w06.jpg]
They look like hip granddads. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
23-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Did you ever listen to the Great White North comedy album with the cameo from Geddy Lee? Classic! Big Grin I have it on cassette, I play it in my car around Xmas time. Tongue

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
23-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Wait! Rush hasn't been inducted!? Well what the fuckin' fuck then?

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
23-10-2012, 03:16 PM
(23-10-2012 03:15 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Wait! Rush hasn't been inducted!? Well what the fuckin' fuck then?

Nope, they still haven't been inducted!Censored

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
23-10-2012, 03:23 PM
It's because of the way they publish their music, they usually go indie or semi-indie, and prefer to self-promote, and otherwise not work with the major record companies, so the RIAA really doesn't like them. And the RIAA has a lot of, ah, unofficial influence on the Hall of Fame. Not a conspiracy or anything, just all the top RIAA guys are friends with all the people who choose the Hall of Fame inductees and their opinions carry weight.

In terms of consecutive gold and platinum albums, Rush is beaten only by the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, they've sold millions of albums, toured for forty years with only one seven year break, they've influenced dozens of bands, the members are some of the best at their particular instruments, they've had dozens of hit songs, are still the biggest act out of Canada, and they deserve a heluva lot more industry recognition than they get.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
[+] 3 users Like Phaedrus's post
23-10-2012, 03:36 PM
My knowledge of music is so bad that I had to google Hall of Fame. I have no idea who is in and who is not.

I would think that the purpose of the exercise is to hone your skills regarding: depth of research, well structured presentation of evidence and producing a balanced and well-reasoned argument.

Whichever band/artiste you choose you will find your audience has an pre-formed like or dislike for your choice or had never heard of them. If the latter is true, then your effort will be judged rationally and not emotionally.

I suggest that you invent a band with a 30+ year history, include how they influenced other bands (also inventions) and even created a new genre which influenced other genres (invent these too).

If you are presenting the end result, get a friend or two to nod (and maybe even whoop!) at key points in your presentation.

The rest of the audience will start to think themselves ignorant and very un-trendy.

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post