Rocks with bad intentions

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
11-08-2015, 05:34 AM
(10-08-2015 07:02 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 02:48 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  While I find the universe awe-inspiring, mysterious and elegant, I find it to be awe in a little sense. I think there's something far more enchanting, far more awe inspiring to life than stars and a thousand universes could ever be, something that strikes me with wonder at just the thought, than can encapsulate an endless amount of dreams, and art and poetry, that doesn't exist in the cold and objective world in front of it, but in the intimate world we live. One that centers around communion, and friendship, love, and solidarity, and hope. There is a far greater awe in that lived and intimate life of man, than any that you can likely ever offer me.

What in the hell makes you think I, we, don't have "communion, and friendship, love, and solidarity, and hope" in the atheist world?

The best people I know, with very few exceptions, have been atheists. The communities we build, when we can find one another (since we are, sadly, still largely in the closet--in heavily-religious communities--or just don't think our atheism is relevant to mention in everyday conversation), are magnificent. I had a great group, back in Kansas, which is still going strong, and of which one of the other TTA members here is still a member in real life. I'm still friends and in communication with people I knew in atheist groups in college and in places I lived after graduation. They remain people whom I admire and respect and enjoy.

The astounding... no, staggering... arrogance of your statement, made as though we atheists focus only on the universe but lack the things you apparently feel are unique to the religious communities, rather than inherent to the human condition, is simply appalling. You should be ashamed of yourself for even thinking it. I can be both awestruck at the vastness of the universe and able to love my friends and family and community.

What? I never said or implied any such thing.

You mentioned something you found awe inspiring, I stated something I found far more awe inspiring.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2015, 05:43 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2015 05:46 AM by Tomasia.)
(10-08-2015 04:34 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Would such an explanation based on natural observations be sufficient to show you God doesn't exist? If not, you'll need to provide the appropriate level of evidence to my rock and man.

Yes, a similar explanation that I found more convincing, more persuasive than my current religious worldview, would be all that's needed.

In fact Alex Rosenberg's view of reality would be one such explanation, though hardly convincing, that even other atheists have to consider him an extremist and a fool.

But if I was persuaded to believe it, there'd be hardly any room for any God/s whatsoever. It would be one if it where true there would be no reason to define oneself as lacking a belief in God, but one that allows folks to declare with confidence that God doesn't exist.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
11-08-2015, 06:08 AM
(11-08-2015 05:43 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 04:34 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Would such an explanation based on natural observations be sufficient to show you God doesn't exist? If not, you'll need to provide the appropriate level of evidence to my rock and man.

Yes, a similar explanation that I found more convincing, more persuasive than my current religious worldview, would be all that's needed.

In fact Alex Rosenberg's view of reality would be one such explanation, though hardly convincing, that even other atheists have to consider him an extremist and a fool.

But if I was persuaded to believe it, there'd be hardly any room for any God/s whatsoever. It would be one if it where true there would be no reason to define oneself as lacking a belief in God, but one that allows folks to declare with confidence that God doesn't exist.

Your hypocrisy is noted.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
11-08-2015, 06:54 AM
RE: Rocks with bad intentions
Depends. Was the rock saved? Did it believe in their Lord and Savior, Igneous?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
11-08-2015, 06:55 AM
Rock only killed The Big Bopper, Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Mama Cass (Alright ham sandwich) Marc Bolan, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Lynard Skynard (most of), Gladys Bentley, Eddie Cochran, Stuart Sutcliffe, Ronnie Smith, Patsy Cline, Elmore James, Rudy Lewis, Sam Cooke, Sonny Boy Williamson II, Spencer Williams, Rockin Robin Roberts, Joe Meek, Brian Epstein, James Graves, Otis Redding, Ronnie Caldwell, Jimmy King, Phalon Jones, Carl Cunningham (Otis, Ronnie, Jimmy, Phalon and Carl all died together in same plane crash)George "King" Scott, Marvin Gaye, Benny Benjamin (Great Motown drummer) Martin Lamble, Shorty Long, King Curtis, Gene Vincent, Phil King, Phil Seamen (At the time one of England's best drummers) Clarence White, Jim Croce.

I'll skip ahead to more modern times.

Mick Tucker, Brian Connelly, Bon Scott, John Lennon, Cozy Powell, Chris Squire, Booker T. Barry White, Frank Zappa, Jeff Porcaro, James Jamerson, Dennis Wilson, Phil Lynott, Elvis,Yogi Horton, Jaco Pastorius ( I remember the news when Jaco's death was announced. I was in a studio. Everyone stopped working and went outside to get air or have a smoke. Quite a day.) Michael Jackson, Rick James, Amy Winehouse....

Too depressing to go on.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
11-08-2015, 07:08 AM
(11-08-2015 06:55 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Rock only killed The Big Bopper, Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Mama Cass (Alright ham sandwich) Marc Bolan, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Lynard Skynard (most of), Gladys Bentley, Eddie Cochran, Stuart Sutcliffe, Ronnie Smith, Patsy Cline, Elmore James, Rudy Lewis, Sam Cooke, Sonny Boy Williamson II, Spencer Williams, Rockin Robin Roberts, Joe Meek, Brian Epstein, James Graves, Otis Redding, Ronnie Caldwell, Jimmy King, Phalon Jones, Carl Cunningham (Otis, Ronnie, Jimmy, Phalon and Carl all died together in same plane crash)George "King" Scott, Marvin Gaye, Benny Benjamin (Great Motown drummer) Martin Lamble, Shorty Long, King Curtis, Gene Vincent, Phil King, Phil Seamen (At the time one of England's best drummers) Clarence White, Jim Croce.

Mick Tucker, Brian Connelly, Bon Scott, John Lennon, Cozy Powell, Chris Squire, Booker T. Barry White, Frank Zappa, Jeff Porcaro, James Jamerson, Dennis Wilson, Phil Lynott, Elvis,Yogi Horton, Jaco Pastorius ( I remember the news when Jaco's death was announced. I was in a studio. Everyone stopped working and went outside to get air or have a smoke. Quite a day.) Michael Jackson, Rick James, Amy Winehouse....

Too depressing to go on.

You forgot Jim Morrison

And Duane Allman

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Octapulse's post
11-08-2015, 07:20 AM
(11-08-2015 05:34 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  What? I never said or implied any such thing.

You mentioned something you found awe inspiring, I stated something I found far more awe inspiring.

Then please accept my apologies, Tomasia.

By the way it was phrased, it sounded like you were saying your religion gave you all of those social things to love while atheism gave us only the coldness of physics, or something along that line. My deep apologies for reading it this way, since that was not your intent.

As I'm sure you're aware, many try to equate atheism with antisocial behaviors.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
11-08-2015, 08:20 AM
I never did get my proof of the rock's unintentions. Drinking Beverage

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
11-08-2015, 08:27 AM
(11-08-2015 07:08 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  
(11-08-2015 06:55 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Rock only killed The Big Bopper, Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Mama Cass (Alright ham sandwich) Marc Bolan, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Lynard Skynard (most of), Gladys Bentley, Eddie Cochran, Stuart Sutcliffe, Ronnie Smith, Patsy Cline, Elmore James, Rudy Lewis, Sam Cooke, Sonny Boy Williamson II, Spencer Williams, Rockin Robin Roberts, Joe Meek, Brian Epstein, James Graves, Otis Redding, Ronnie Caldwell, Jimmy King, Phalon Jones, Carl Cunningham (Otis, Ronnie, Jimmy, Phalon and Carl all died together in same plane crash)George "King" Scott, Marvin Gaye, Benny Benjamin (Great Motown drummer) Martin Lamble, Shorty Long, King Curtis, Gene Vincent, Phil King, Phil Seamen (At the time one of England's best drummers) Clarence White, Jim Croce.

Too depressing to go on.

You forgot Jim Morrison

And Duane Allman

Paradoxically, rock-gods...

... forever do live.

Consider

11-08-2015, 09:01 AM
(11-08-2015 08:20 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I never did get my proof of the rock's unintentions. Drinking Beverage

And I never did get you to provide me with what you mean by "rock's unintentions" either.