Rocks with bad intentions

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
11-08-2015, 01:58 PM
Rocks with bad intentions
(11-08-2015 09:01 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(11-08-2015 08:20 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I never did get my proof of the rock's unintentions. Drinking Beverage

And I never did get you to provide me with what you mean by "rock's unintentions" either.

The same goddamn thing you mean when you imply Unintention for the universe you fucking twit

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2015, 02:04 PM
RE: Rocks with bad intentions
I actually don't mind having the discussion of intentionality vs (new term) unintentionality, if by "unintentionality" we simply mean "the entire universe, including its origin, is the result of the same physical laws that we see functioning in every other phenomenon we have investigated". That said, the onus remains on the person who posits the new phenomenon (albeit one that has been posited as the previous explanation for things like lightning/thunder, etc, before we knew better, since humans tend to just make shit up when the natural explanations are not known) to provide some serious evidence for why and how the phenomenon would function in replacement of the one we already have for everything else (the one above). They are not equally-valid explanations, as one is observed to be "how things work" after much investigation, and the other is a story that has been proven wrong time and time again (Zeus, Thor, and other weather-gods, for instance).

A theist who says both are equal explanations is being disingenuous, and that is why you are receiving such abuse, Tomasia.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
11-08-2015, 02:13 PM
(11-08-2015 02:04 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I actually don't mind having the discussion of intentionality vs (new term) unintentionality, if by "unintentionality" we simply mean "the entire universe, including its origin, is the result of the same physical laws that we see functioning in every other phenomenon we have investigated". That said, the onus remains on the person who posits the new phenomenon (albeit one that has been posited as the previous explanation for things like lightning/thunder, etc, before we knew better, since humans tend to just make shit up when the natural explanations are not known) to provide some serious evidence for why and how the phenomenon would function in replacement of the one we already have for everything else (the one above). They are not equally-valid explanations, as one is observed to be "how things work" after much investigation, and the other is a story that has been proven wrong time and time again (Zeus, Thor, and other weather-gods, for instance).

A theist who says both are equal explanations is being disingenuous, and that is why you are receiving such abuse, Tomasia.

My whole point in this endeavor was to point out Tomasia's double standard/hypocrisy in that nitwit holds his god to a different standard than he says he does. And that he is openly asking for evidence of things that nitwit is unable to provide for even a simple scenario.

-Rick
11-08-2015, 02:18 PM
A universe in which life will exist for 0.1 ^ 80th of the time it exists shows evidence of wasteful stupidity and inepititude, not "intentionality".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
11-08-2015, 03:10 PM
(11-08-2015 02:04 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I actually don't mind having the discussion of intentionality vs (new term) unintentionality, if by "unintentionality" we simply mean "the entire universe, including its origin, is the result of the same physical laws that we see functioning in every other phenomenon we have investigated".

" "It is a fluke. It's clear that it's a fluke. This is the term used by men like Hawking and Krauss and Feynman and Einstein....We are a cosmic accident."

If I believed the universe was unintentional, what you said above would encapsulate my view of it. I would just have to work that all the way down, get past the surface of that assumption.
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
11-08-2015, 03:36 PM
(11-08-2015 03:10 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(11-08-2015 02:04 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I actually don't mind having the discussion of intentionality vs (new term) unintentionality, if by "unintentionality" we simply mean "the entire universe, including its origin, is the result of the same physical laws that we see functioning in every other phenomenon we have investigated".

" "It is a fluke. It's clear that it's a fluke. This is the term used by men like Hawking and Krauss and Feynman and Einstein....We are a cosmic accident."

If I believed the universe was unintentional, what you said above would encapsulate my view of it. I would just have to work that all the way down, get past the surface of that assumption.

And yet, there is no intent or unintent in a cosmic event of circumstance.

-Rick
11-08-2015, 03:40 PM
(11-08-2015 03:36 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(11-08-2015 03:10 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  " "It is a fluke. It's clear that it's a fluke. This is the term used by men like Hawking and Krauss and Feynman and Einstein....We are a cosmic accident."

And yet, there is no intent or unintent in a cosmic event of circumstance.

Yet there are flukes, and cosmic accidents?
11-08-2015, 03:43 PM
(11-08-2015 03:40 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(11-08-2015 03:36 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  And yet, there is no intent or unintent in a cosmic event of circumstance.

Yet there are flukes, and cosmic accidents?

Which don't require intent or unintent, because there is no fucking agent that is even hypothetically possible to assign intent or unintent to.

You're dumber than the rock in my example. Facepalm

-Rick
11-08-2015, 03:45 PM
Sure. Getting a gene for childhood cancer is an example. That unlucky kid got a bad dice-roll, when the numbers came up for his particular genetic recombination from his parents, when sperm met egg. It's a fluke, and it's too bad, but it's not an intentional thing by anyone/anything.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
11-08-2015, 03:54 PM
(11-08-2015 03:43 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(11-08-2015 03:40 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Yet there are flukes, and cosmic accidents?

Which don't require intent or unintent, because there is no fucking agent that is even hypothetically possible to assign intent or unintent to.

You're dumber than the rock in my example. Facepalm

You seem to want to imply that unintentional implies something different than saying something was a fluke, a cosmic accident, though as I recall you took issue with the word "fluke" previously"

Where as I stated previously, that claiming something was a fluke, a cosmic accident, is another way of saying it was unintentional.