Rocks with bad intentions

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
12-08-2015, 02:26 PM
RE: Rocks with bad intentions
(12-08-2015 02:15 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 02:10 PM)pablo Wrote:  A rock cannot be innocent or guilty either. Facepalm

bleh, semantics

You keep saying a rock is non-conscious, yet you keep assigning conscious characteristics to it, intent, innocence, free-will. Are you really so dumb you don't see this?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2015, 02:26 PM
(12-08-2015 02:21 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 02:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Show me where they use that term.

There should have been an end quote there. I was quoting RocketSurgeon, so you should probably ask him that, not me.

Actually YOU referenced someone (not them) that used that term, and you used it out of context, a while back.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
12-08-2015, 02:28 PM
(12-08-2015 02:26 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 02:15 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  bleh, semantics

You keep saying a rock is non-conscious, yet you keep assigning conscious characteristics to it, intent, innocence, free-will. Are you really so dumb you don't see this?

LEAVE ME ALONE!!!! Can't you see I am just using this language synonymously?!!!!

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
12-08-2015, 02:29 PM
(12-08-2015 02:19 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The way you view the argument for "accidents" or "flukes" or an "unintentional" universe are based on your bias that they are (and I am quoting here) "absurd." And that is because you don't fucking understand what those terms mean.

So you think if I understand what those terms meant, I wouldn't apply the terms "accidents" or "flukes" in relationship to the universe? Or that I still could, but just wouldn't find it absurd?

Quote:Then you imply that the idea that an unintentional universe is a claim.

"It is a fluke." "We are a cosmic accident." are claims.

Quote:Probability that the universe arose through natural means (a product of the parameters in the universe) is >0 and ~100% as we have evidence through observation and experiment that this is the case.

The probability that the universe was intentionally or unintentionally created is fucking 0, unless you have evidence of a conscious entity that could create it intentionally or unintentionally.

There's no point in addressing this, unless the other two points above are cleared up.
12-08-2015, 02:32 PM
(12-08-2015 02:29 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 02:19 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The way you view the argument for "accidents" or "flukes" or an "unintentional" universe are based on your bias that they are (and I am quoting here) "absurd." And that is because you don't fucking understand what those terms mean.

So you think if I understand what those terms meant, I wouldn't apply the terms "accidents" or "flukes" in relationship to the universe? Or that I still could, but just wouldn't find it absurd?

Quote:Then you imply that the idea that an unintentional universe is a claim.

Quote:Probability that the universe arose through natural means (a product of the parameters in the universe) is >0 and ~100% as we have evidence through observation and experiment that this is the case.

The probability that the universe was intentionally or unintentionally created is fucking 0, unless you have evidence of a conscious entity that could create it intentionally or unintentionally.

There's no point in addressing this, unless the other two points above are cleared up.

You don't understand what those quotes (as Bucky points out) that you posted mean with respect to those terms. So no, you won't understand anything about that quote or what science says about the origin of the universe until you leave your theist bias behind.

The universe exists and is the result of the parameters of the universe we have observed and measured. The only "accident" is that out of the billions or possible combinations of these parameters, we got these that made this universe. There was nothing to make an accident nor anything to create it unintentionally or intentionally.

The universe is.

Show me the intent and show me that there is something that could have the intent with respect to the cosmos. Drinking Beverage

-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
12-08-2015, 02:33 PM
These aren't claims, these are observations.

-Rick
12-08-2015, 02:37 PM
TheBeardedDuded - That is precisely the context in which I (and Einstein, Krauss, etc) use those terms. I haven't been responding to his citation of me using those terms because I think they're just fine as a semantic use of the term "fluke".

Out of the myriad possibilities, we have a universe that creates tiny pockets that may contain life, like us.

Out of the myriad possibilities, some kid got a genetic combination that held a gene for cancer.

Both are accidents, flukes, and one is fortunate for us while the other is not. But neither is intentional, nor gives any sign of being so.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
12-08-2015, 02:39 PM
^ Hey look Tomasia, a clear explanation that you don't understand the use of those terms. Ready to admit that yet?

-Rick
12-08-2015, 02:43 PM
(12-08-2015 02:32 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The universe exists and is the result of the parameters of the universe we have observed and measured. The only "accident" is that out of the billions or possible combinations of these parameters, we got these that made this universe.

Okay, so you're fine with the term "accident", "fluke" being used in reference to this? Your issue is that you believe that I'm using those terms in reference to something other than this?

Quote:The universe is.

Yes, it just is.

Quote:Show me the intent and show me that there is something that could have the intent with respect to the cosmos. Drinking Beverage

I can't show you that.
12-08-2015, 02:45 PM
(12-08-2015 02:43 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 02:32 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The universe exists and is the result of the parameters of the universe we have observed and measured. The only "accident" is that out of the billions or possible combinations of these parameters, we got these that made this universe.

Okay, so you're fine with the term "accident", "fluke" being used in reference to this? You're issue is that you believe that I'm using those terms in reference to something else?

Quote:The universe is.

Yes, it just is.

Quote:Show me the intent and show me that there is something that could have the intent with respect to the cosmos. Drinking Beverage

I can't show you that.

"Okay, so you're fine with the term "accident", "fluke" being used in reference to this? You're issue is that you believe that I'm using those terms in reference to something else?"

I didn't use those terms you twit. No, I don't like their use because morons like you don't understand their meaning in their context.

I can't show you that.

Of course you can't, because there isn't one. Can't give evidence for something that doesn't exist.

-Rick