Rocks with bad intentions

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
12-08-2015, 02:49 PM
RE: Rocks with bad intentions
(12-08-2015 02:39 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  ^ Hey look Tomasia, a clear explanation that you don't understand the use of those terms. Ready to admit that yet?

Why do you imagine there was a misunderstanding? That I imagined RocketSurgeon to imply something other than what he just stated?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2015, 02:49 PM
(12-08-2015 02:49 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 02:39 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  ^ Hey look Tomasia, a clear explanation that you don't understand the use of those terms. Ready to admit that yet?

Why do you imagine there was a misunderstanding? That I imagined RocketSurgeon to imply something other that we just stated?

Facepalm

Your dishonesty knows no bounds

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
12-08-2015, 02:54 PM
That's really the only hangup, the deliberate misunderstanding/misuse of the term to imply something it does not imply.

I have no issues with the term "fluke" because I'm aware of the other possibilities. I am well-aware that the night my parents had sex, any one of the other 199,999,999 sperm that were my swimming competitors could have done the job, and I would not have resulted. I am a fluke. It's a giant cosmic accident that I'm here. It was certainly not my parents' "intent" that that particular sperm made it to the egg. But I'm here, nevertheless. I'm glad I occurred, given all that! Tongue

Given what we know about abiogenesis chemistry so far, it appears to not be a fluke that life occurred on earth; it's apparent that life is likely to occur anywhere the conditions are right, as on the early earth. I'm still calling it a fluke that earth was the one, given the millions of unsuitable locations we can observe in our tiny little bubble of space. Then again, given that we know there are hundreds of billions of galaxies all containing hundreds of billions of stars, and likely that whole volume is full of earthlike planets (see recent discovery of Earth II, linked below), it seems likely that the universe is full of "flukes" like us. Still no evidence of intent, just randomness that occasionally "rolls a Natural 20" on the d20.

http://www.nasa.gov/ames/kepler/nasas-ke...ther-star/

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
12-08-2015, 02:56 PM
(12-08-2015 02:45 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "Okay, so you're fine with the term "accident", "fluke" being used in reference to this? You're issue is that you believe that I'm using those terms in reference to something else?"

I didn't use those terms you twit. No, I don't like their use because morons like you don't understand their meaning in their context.

You really are a piece of work?

Of course you didn't use those terms. But you have no issue with RocketSurgeons use of terms, just mine, because you believed that I was using them differently.

Quote:Of course you can't, because there isn't one.

No, that's not it either.
12-08-2015, 02:57 PM
"Accident" and "fluke" just mean a highly improbable event. Highly improbable (individual, unrelated) events happen all the time. The frequency of the occurance of improbable events has no bearing at all on the probability of a "cause" for them , as we KNOW they are very frequent spontaneous events. The implication of the use of "accident" and "fluke" in this context is a disingenuous attempt to imply that a cause is necessary. It is not necessary, and Probability and Physics have proven that.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
12-08-2015, 03:00 PM
(12-08-2015 02:56 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 02:45 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "Okay, so you're fine with the term "accident", "fluke" being used in reference to this? You're issue is that you believe that I'm using those terms in reference to something else?"

I didn't use those terms you twit. No, I don't like their use because morons like you don't understand their meaning in their context.

You really are a piece of work?

Of course you didn't use those terms. But you have no issue with RocketSurgeons use of terms, just mine, because you believed that I was using them differently.

Quote:Of course you can't, because there isn't one.

No, that's not it either.

"Of course you didn't use those terms. But you have no issue with RocketSurgeons use of terms, just mine, because you believed that I was using them differently. "

Because I know what he means and I know what you mean. And they aren't equal.

"No, that's not it either."

Shhhh it's okay. That pain you feel in your brain is the result of having your bullshit called out. Shhhh, it'll go away soon.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
12-08-2015, 03:02 PM
(12-08-2015 02:57 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  "Accident" and "fluke" just mean a highly improbable event. Highly improbable (individual, unrelated) events happen all the time. The frequency of the occurance of improbable events has no bearing at all on the probability of a "cause" for them , as we KNOW they are very frequent spontaneous events. The implication of the use of "accident" and "fluke" in this context is a disingenuous attempt to imply that a cause is necessary. It is not necessary, and Probability and Physics have proven that.

This is what you don't get Tomaisa, and why you don't understand how your bias can be read in the language you use and the way you want to use it. Drinking Beverage

-Rick
12-08-2015, 03:02 PM
(12-08-2015 02:49 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 02:49 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Why do you imagine there was a misunderstanding? That I imagined RocketSurgeon to imply something other that we just stated?

Facepalm

What's interesting is that you likely already assumed the way Rocketsurgeon was using the terms. You already kind of knew that before he explained himself any further. But before you ever even asked if I meant it a different way, you already assumed I did?

Dishonesty is your bread and butter.
12-08-2015, 03:03 PM
(12-08-2015 03:02 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 02:49 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Facepalm

What's interesting is that you likely already assumed the way Rocketsurgeon was using the terms. You already kind of knew that before he explained himself any further. But before you ever even asked if I meant it a different way, you already assumed I did?

I know how people like Feynman used those terms (and it was a quote of them by him you seem to have referenced).

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
12-08-2015, 03:07 PM
(12-08-2015 03:02 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 02:49 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Facepalm

And I have seen Rocketsurgeon's explanation of his use of those terms. I didn't have to assume anything Drinking Beverage

-Rick