Rocks with bad intentions

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
12-08-2015, 03:13 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2015 03:16 PM by Tomasia.)
(12-08-2015 03:07 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 03:02 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  What's interesting is that you likely already assumed the way Rocketsurgeon was using the terms. You already kind of knew that before he explained himself any further. But before you ever even asked if I meant it a different way, you already assumed I did?

Dishonesty is your bread and butter.

And I have seen Rocketsurgeon's explanation of his use of those terms. I didn't have to assume anything Drinking Beverage

Except when it came to what you thought I meant by the terms? You did a whole lot of assuming there, huh?

You argued as if the terms cannot be applied at all, now you seem to want to claim that they can be applied, just not the way you assumed I way I supposedly was using the terms?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2015, 03:14 PM
RE: Rocks with bad intentions
(12-08-2015 03:13 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 03:07 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  And I have seen Rocketsurgeon's explanation of his use of those terms. I didn't have to assume anything Drinking Beverage

Except when it came to what you thought I meant by the terms? You did a whole lot of assuming there, huh?

You've made it clear what you think those terms mean through your language. Once again, I don't have to assume, I can just read your idiocy. Drinking Beverage

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
12-08-2015, 03:15 PM
For instance, what do you think the word random means and what do you think it means for something to have long odds (like 1 in a billion) when it comes to descriptions of the universe?

As in, the odds of this universe existing and the universe's parameters being seemingly random.

-Rick
12-08-2015, 03:21 PM
I cited the named individuals specifically because it was my intent to make sure the audience wasn't confused by other possible uses of the term. I have no issues with using those terms in that manner because others have made clear what they mean by it in hundreds of hours of lecturing and dozens of books on the subject. I presumed (apparently incorrectly) that people would be reasonable in assigning the correct meaning to the term, given that information, since I suppose I've gotten spoiled to the degree of literacy of my audience, here, in general.

What did not enter my mind as a possibility was that you could have seen that reference and STILL continued using the term in the wrong way. Worse, you managed to gloat over my "honesty" in using the term, since you managed (amazingly!) to find a way to shoehorn it into your bizarre view of the universe.

And now you are trying to stick by your guns like we're the ones who're suddenly changing meaning.

If I roll a d20 (a 20-sided die) and managed to roll three of those in a row, the odds are astoundingly low that it could have happened. Yet there's nothing preventing me from doing it three times in a row, or a hundred times in a row. It could happen. The difference between us is that if we all stood in a room and watched me roll 20 on the d20 a hundred times in a row, you're the only one who'd call it divine intervention. It's a fluke, albeit an awesome one.

We use the word "accident" to refer to when two cars smash together without anyone intending for that to happen. Again, the difference being that no one thinks it was anything other than the laws of physics in operation. If you think it was anything other than unchecked laws of physics, it is no longer called an "accident", it's called "attempted vehicular homicide".

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
12-08-2015, 03:22 PM
(12-08-2015 03:14 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You've made it clear what you think those terms mean through your language. Once again, I don't have to assume, I can just read your idiocy. Drinking Beverage

No. I didn't make that clear. You assumed it for no other reason than because I am a theist.

My use of of terms fluke, accident aligns with RocketSurgeons use, and later clarification. But you don't have the decency to confess that your assumption otherwise was a mistake on your part.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
12-08-2015, 03:24 PM
(12-08-2015 03:22 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 03:14 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You've made it clear what you think those terms mean through your language. Once again, I don't have to assume, I can just read your idiocy. Drinking Beverage

No. I didn't make that clear. You assumed it for no other reason than because I am a theist.

My use of of terms fluke, accident aligns with RocketSurgeons use, and later clarification. But you don't have the decency to confess that your assumption otherwise was a mistake on your part.

hahahahahahahahaha

No they weren't in line with it. He has explicitly told you that you weren't using them in the correct context

holy fuck, you really are that stupid.

-Rick
12-08-2015, 03:30 PM
(12-08-2015 03:21 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  If I roll a d20 (a 20-sided die) and managed to roll three of those in a row, the odds are astoundingly low that it could have happened. Yet there's nothing preventing me from doing it three times in a row, or a hundred times in a row. It could happen. The difference between us is that if we all stood in a room and watched me roll 20 on the d20 a hundred times in a row, you're the only one who'd call it divine intervention. It's a fluke, albeit an awesome one.

If you rolled 20, a hundred times in a row on D20 dice, I wouldn't assume it was fluke, I'd assume the dice were weighted. Or you found some way to roll the dice to produce that outcome intentionally. It could be a fluke, but my bets are on it wasn't.

12-08-2015, 03:32 PM
(12-08-2015 03:30 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 03:21 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  If I roll a d20 (a 20-sided die) and managed to roll three of those in a row, the odds are astoundingly low that it could have happened. Yet there's nothing preventing me from doing it three times in a row, or a hundred times in a row. It could happen. The difference between us is that if we all stood in a room and watched me roll 20 on the d20 a hundred times in a row, you're the only one who'd call it divine intervention. It's a fluke, albeit an awesome one.

If you rolled 20, a hundred times in a row on D20 dice, I wouldn't assume it was fluke, I'd assume the dice were weighted. Or you found some way to roll the dice to produce that outcome intentionally. It could be a fluke, but my bets are on it wasn't.

Demonstrating that you don't understand probabilities Facepalm

-Rick
12-08-2015, 03:36 PM
Actually, I don't disagree with him on what to think about 100 natural 20s in a row, but my point was that (given unweighted dice, etc) flukes happen all the time, with exactly the probability that the laws of probability suggest, and don't require intervention. Every single one of those rolls was a 5% chance of occurring.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
12-08-2015, 03:39 PM
(12-08-2015 03:32 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Demonstrating that you don't understand probabilities Facepalm

If a random person showed us even a six sided dice, and rolled it a hundred times, rolling six each and every time. If we had a wager as to whether it was a weighted dice, or just a fluke, I'd bet on the weighted dice. The probability that I'd take your money is higher than the probability that you'd take mine.